What up Buck

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I advocated a way to get better. I did four this weekend, and have a witness in Kimling. Just imagine how many folks were running their cables in a die grinder this weekend. Did anyone die? If so I have not heard of it. I am a man. I deal with men. I look forward to meeting you.

I will add this. In my testing I noticed that one of the cables went through two harmonic periods wherein the oscillation went through the roof. 20K is a pretty high bar for gas, and the second period, per my estimation, was at 16K. Think your prop is balanced? Never mind.

Thread get deleted ???

Read a post the other day,,, something about spinning drive cables in a hand held greased rag with a die grinder to check for balance or whipping...???

maybe the mods thought it was too unsafe ??
can't seem to find the thread anymore...

Hey Mike, I started a thread last week about testing flex cables using a die grinder. I posted it here and over with the boat nazis. I think it got taken down pretty quickly here on IW but not before Buckshot saw it. He responded with a PM and I was just replying to him and anyone else who might have seen it. The circumstances surrounding that post got me banished for life from Walworth.(JRCBD) You should have heard the incessant howling about how idiotic and unsafe the process was perceived. Then I get on here and watch a video of a fella standing over a homemade inertia dyno running at least 25K and not a **** peep. I am just re-entering the hobby after a 25 year hiatus and I have been constantly reminded why I left. I started building and testing my own flex cables 30 years ago. If I remember correctly Ed Hughey had stopped making cables. Me and my circle were all buying our stuff from Art at Tidewater. He made the cables he sold in his shop. After I had a drive melt down I started checking all of my cables and was surprised to find how much they ran out, but there is a limit to what you can do with an indicator on a flexible cable, so I devised a method to run the cables at engine speed in a 1/4" die grinder. I will not go into detail because I **** sure don't want to get banned from here, but I made a handful of stubshafts and tested every cable when it came out of the lathe. I could get 2 cables I was satisfied with out of 10 welds. I have gone as far as using 17/64 O1 drill rod for a stub, fully supporting the flex cable in a close-fitting tube and cylindrically grinding the stub, but it was faster, easier and produced better results to use my aforementioned method. Constantly seeking improvement though I conceived a drive that utilized solid drill rod instead of a flexible cable. I haven't even looked at a model boat in years but I went out to run with my good friend the other day and another guy showed me the fancy drive in his backlash. I said to myself "****, somebody did it." I don't want to get anybody killed (DIE grinder-ha!), but when I set my new boat up I ran the bought cables and found the exact same thing. I posted my method to advance the hobby but was excoriated. As an aerospace toolmaker with 40 years experience I have a wealth of knowledge about machining and composites to share, but I think I will just play dumb and ask the questions from now on.

Mr. Scroggins,
To be absolutely clear, I have NEVER sent you a PM. I did reply to a thread you started, to which I said it was dangerous and that I liked it. Now you want to come at me with some BS?
Welcome back to the hobby, I’m on my way out, tired of all the internet badasses.

Easy now William. I thought it was a PM because I read it in my email. The thread had been taken down. You indeed said it was dangerous and you liked it. That's why I responded to you. No disrespect or BS intended. Sorry you took it that way.

I for one didn't know anything about this previously being "taken down" but found it and yes it was taken down by a forum moderator. "I am just re-entering the hobby after a 25 year hiatus and I have been constantly reminded why I left" yet the opening post on this one comes across as confrontational. Mr. Scroggins I suggest a different approach to yield different results. And yeah you called Buck out from the onset, he had every right to respond as he did.

Don, I had absolutely no intention of calling William out or being confrontational. Quite to the contrary I responded to him because he said he liked my method. Dadgum-I thought I had an ally in Buckshot.

Perceptions are often clouded by the distance of internet communications. I for one try to include a little humor, but speaking of perception-man. I reckon it also helps that I am one sarcastic SOB. Sorry guys for any misunderstanding. As stated before I only recently returned to the hobby. I came to this and the other board primarily to source supplies and equipment, If not for my good friend Mike Kimling. who has remained in the hobby I would not know where to get anything. Just do a search for model boats and see what comes up. I am amazed myself at how quickly I became practically immersed in this model boat thing and nothing but the go-fast stuff would do. So yeah, I got a bit wrapped up in these boards also. My new mono build got me off my butt, back in the shop and doing things with model boats that I have never done before. I feel a tinge of excitement that I haven't experienced in some time, it seems that my efforts to become more involved have done nothing but piss people off. Perhaps I need to go back to fishing.

Michael,

Something to ponder.. sarcasm and the forums is a bad mix..(tread lightly).

If.. you have knowledge you want to share (Sounds like you do).. guide us to questions.. dont "TELL US". We all do it.. BUT.. minimizing it will make this more fun for you and we are more likely to learn from you.

Then.. lastly.. its OK to step away from time to time. The internet, I Waters and the rest of us CrAzYs 😜 (yes.. that is sarcasm) will still be here for years to come.

Grim

Thanks Grim, but to be fair, I didn't TELL anyone to do anything, just made a suggestion and explained a process. I am 58. I expect a group of fully-grown men to make their own decisions concerning their personal safety and to what extent they are willing to go to improve, but we live in such a litigious society that I fully understand a moderator's concerns. I had already gone to rubber mounts (yes, I started with Octura solid mounts), but when I started balancing the entire drive line screws stopped backing out, the 7B carb stopped seizing, lead-teflon bushings lasted forever and, most importantly, I picked up speed. I did the B&S on my props and even built my own razor blade balancer when the Dubro couldn't cut it. Do you think I would suggest hanging a prop on the end of that shaft? Again, you would be amazed. Before I decided to start jacking with these little boats again my hobby was building and repairing tube amps. It's all about the harmonics.

Then I get on here and watch a video of a fella standing over a homemade inertia dyno running at least 25K and not a **** peep.

As an aerospace toolmaker with 40 years experience I have a wealth of knowledge about machining and composites to share, but I think I will just play dumb and ask the questions from now on.

Surely an "an aerospace toolmaker with 40 years experience" would comprehend the safety precautions taken by "a fella standing over a homemade inertia dyno" such as radial and tangential (hoop) stress and "von Mises" yield analysis, dynamic balancing to G1, aligning the motor, shaft and wheel in all three axis' to +/- 0.0002" then mounting the proper bearings with the recommended J5/h6 tolerance and drip oil feeding them with Shell Tellus T-15 spindle oil?

Then, as an added precaution, covering the whole thing with a 1" thick steel scatter shield?

I personally know/have known some very talented toolmakers, but not an "aerospace toolmaker with 40 years experience". The toolmakers I know would tend to measure runout by mounting the shaft in a lathe and checking with a dial indicator or maybe even setting it up in V blocks and checking with a DTI and height gauge on a surface plate.

I'm pretty sure none of them would hold it in their hand with an oily rag and spin it to 20K with a die grinder. :rolleyes:

To anyone thinking about trying this please don't, it's very dangerous.

Last edited:
These are model boats, not the latest launch vehicle or re-entry module. No one outside this community knows who you are.

Last edited:
Back