What to purchase first on Speedmaster 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Condon2

Hi. I am new to this forum. In the 80s I had a Dumas DeepVee with a K&B .45 with a butterfly throttle haha

Anyways, I bought Speedmaster 20mono hull from Steve Smith on this for sale forum. He bought it new and never used it.

I was wondering yalls opinion. Where should I start? I want to buy parts slowly in order to hide it from the wife :)

What should I buy first? Hardware, engine, engine mount, etc?

On Steve Smiths suggestion I am planning on buying a NovaRossi .21 5 port from Glenn. I have already emailed him about it and he said whenever I am ready to let him know.

Thx!

p.s. Ive done alot of reading and the one thing I am worried about is the stuffing box :(

p.s.s. pics to come

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL about the wife..... anyway

I'm thinking Motor,Motor Mount( mount those) then move on to the mounting of the strut then stuffing tube(aligned perfect with the motor collet with a smooth transition to the strut( not interfering with the radio box) and then the flex cable with the prop and drive dog attached.

This is a quicky. Im sure more people will give some more advice.

Tim

Hi. I am new to this forum. In the 80s I had a Dmas DeepVee with a K&B .45 with a butterfly throttle haha

Anyways I bought Speedmaster 20mono hull from Steve Smith on this for sale forum. He bought it new and never used it.

I was wondering yalls opinion. Where shold I start? I want to buy parts slowly in order to hide it from the wife.

On Steve Smiths suggestion I am planning on buying a NovaRossi .21 5 port from Glenn. I have already emailed him about it and he said whenever I am ready to let him know.

Thx!

p.s. Ive done alot of reading and the one thing I am worried about is the stuffi box :(

p.s.s. pics to come

i have to agree with tim. the engine & mounts first. virtually everything else on the boat needs the engine in place to be positioned correctly. get mounts that will set the engine as low as possible for lower cg & straighter stuffing/shaft tube under the radio box. being a surface drive hull, stuffing box & shaft tube aren't as bad to install as subsurface hull drivelines.

Hi. I am new to this forum. In the 80s I had a Dumas DeepVee with a K&B .45 with a butterfly throttle haha

Anyways, I bought Speedmaster 20mono hull from Steve Smith on this for sale forum. He bought it new and never used it.

I was wondering yalls opinion. Where should I start? I want to buy parts slowly in order to hide it from the wife :)

Thx!

p.s. Ive done alot of reading and the one thing I am worried about is the stuffing box :(

p.s.s. pics to come
Hey Mark,

While I don't necessarily disagree with the answers you've gotten so far, I take a slightly different approach to rigging up a glass hull. I prefer to have everything on hand when, before I drill a single hole in the boat.

I'll go so far as to stick the hardware to the transom with double sided carpet tape, install the engine into the mount, add a header and pipe, set servos, batteries, etc inside the radio box. Then I can slide everything around to get the desired front to rear CG before I drill holes.

As a sidebar, on a mono, you DON'T always want the lowest CG that's possible. I can't say for sure how that speedmaster would respond, but I've had some larger gas monos that ran SUPER WET in the corners no matter what I did. Simply raising the CG (or moving it left) helped keep the boat from rolling over (induced by rudder combined with V angle)in the corners and gave me the desired effect.

I suggest you call Mark Hopper. He's super helpful and if you don't want to wait until you have all the gear to start drilling, he can save you a mistake from putting things in places that will require added weight (I DO HATE THAT) later.

One last thing that might give you some piece of mind. The actual glass hull is the cheapest part of the equation compared to how much you invest in the engine/pipe/hardware/etc. If things go seriously wrong, it's normally not the end of the world financially, to start with a fresh hull.

- Steve

P.S. MAKE SURE YOU USE NEW SHARP DRILL BITS. BUY THE CHEAPIES.....BRAND NEW CHEAPIES BEAT DULL, HIGH DOLLAR BITS, EVERYTIME!!!

If the boat came with the build manual it has a drawing of the transom with the the correct dimensions to where the hardware mounts and a list of the suggested hardware. Build it by the book and it will be a great running boat.

Ok gotcha. Get all the parts first then start installing. Good idea.

This is what I will do.

Thx!

Mark
Hey Mark, When you decide to order an Engine from Glenn, spend the extra $25.00 dollars and have him do a carb. mod for that motor and run an O.S. needle(remote). If your not used to Nova Carbs w/3rd channel needle - it can be kinda confusing on how to use it, if you have never used them before. Just a thought - and might save you headaches later. B)

I've always (maybe just a force of habit) installed the transom hardware first, the motor next then connect the rest of it together. I had the 1st Gen Speedmaster 21 and found out that I didn't need a turn fin or trim tabs which saved me some money but I see that with the newer ones some people are using them.

I know all about sneaking in stuff behind the wifes back as I try to do it all the time. Sometimes I do get caught but have gotten to the point where I don't care anymore. I know that she's doing it also.

we don't even bother trying to hide it anymore, ron. we just fuss about it at each other now :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: .

the 2 best speedmaster mono's i've seen run had the engine crankcase all but touching the bottom of the hull B) .

At my place, I make the money. (most of it at least :) ) So, no hiding my toys (to be perfectly honest, I sometimes feel the urge to do it, haha) - Just in case, I bought my wife a new car for our anniversary earlier this year. No reason to complain now! Unfortunately, now she wants a new camera... and a house! dang! Freaking pretty blondes! Ugh!

Anyway, good thread. This is going to be quite helpful when building mine.

Back