What Starters is everyone using??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrotoys

Seems I got a junk hobbico one, it doesnt seem to have the torque to turn over the engine for my .21s inboards. Got a good battery, just charged a full size car battery and can stall the motor with my hand.

Any info would be great.

Hey nitro, Ive got the same " junk " starter and it works great if you use it with 24V. Ive got the smaller of the two starters and can start .67 engines with no problem. Ive been using the 24v setup for over a year without hurting the starter, just dont spin it for too long. I had the same problem when using 12v. I use two gel cell 7amp batterys.

~ James

Always get a "DeLuxe" starter whenever you buy one. I've had good luck with a Hanger 9 starter, they seem to have a little more power than the others in the same catagory.

Tower Hobbies deluxe starter, which is the Hobbico deluxe as well. 12volts won't turn spit but it works great on 24. I tossed it in the closet. I now use a motorcycle starter. I took it apart, turned the armature in my lathe and put on the head from my Tower starter. This thing could rip my arm off if I let it. ;D

Dyna tron by sullivan run on 12 or 24 volt kicks butt , starts 1 cubic '' with no problem , only problem make sure your rubber cone is glued in or you'll be chaseing it when it flyes out. ;D

Old reliable sullivan deluxe.....25 years and still going strong,although I have a back-up.

Holly Crap Rob

You been running that thing for 25 years. You must be older than dirt. LOL Seriously, that is pretty good. Mark Anderson got 12 years out of his on 24v. This is the same one I use too. Mine is only 5 years. I like it better then the dynatron because it spins at a higher rpm. Seems to work a lot better on my nova rossi's.

See ya

Mike

nitrotoys-

im using the highly advanced technology "tape starter" :p - just wrap a piece of tape around the flywheel [clockwise for an IB, counterclockwise for an OB] about 3 or 4 times. leave a little tape sticking off and pull on it like a pullstart.

old school but works!! :) ;)

Joe

I've started my 7.5 pro a few times with a flick of the wrist, after it had been run the heat before. Maybe thats how I got the extra life out of that sullivan.....

Back