What powerplant was mounted on this boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtisHelmke

Morning all,

I've recently aquired a used Cobra hull. It's slightly more worn than I expected but has plenty of life left in it. I'm trying to determine what powerplant was used on it or at least what engine mount. I'd prefer to go back with the same unit than to dig out threads, fill and re drill, just seems simpler to leave it as is. The dimensions of the holes currently in it are 1" tall and 1 1/2" wide. None of the mounts I have fit this and it is way too wide to put a K&B directly on to the transom. If I can determine what used to be there it will be much easier but the guy I got it from doesn't know either. Debating whether to make this another nitro boat or set up as an FE boat. I've got plenty of nitro boats and no FE so I'm thinking hard about going that way. I need to decide what leg I can mount up most easliy and convert to electric. Thanks.

Rick H.

Most guys are running O.S. on the back of Cobra i did when i had one so does Dan how designs the boat never saw a K@B on any, the O.S. also comes with its own motor mount

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry i didnt look at power plant, i did say most guess your not in that batch
default_biggrin.png

It probably was a K & B with a accessory mount that is why the pattern is so much bigger.

You might just use some 3/16 aluminum and make a adapter if your trying to make it fit that larger pattern already in the transom. You usually need one anyhow so you can have the adapter slotted or multi drilled holes for height adjustments.

Anyone remember those Prather I think it was that made K & B outboard mounts that used to make the mount that allowed the engine to hinge up and had a tiller bar that went in the boat and rode on adjustable cams to trim the outboard up in the turns.

I have some NIP, Daniel. They were a K&B part. Mentioning different mount patterns, the Prather (& some others) mounts weren't drilled, so you ended up with whatever the person that set it up drilled it at. My K&B/Cobra uses a similar mount with "my" bolt pattern.

The pattern mentioned by Rick sounds like either DuBro or Octura spacing. I'd have to dig thru my box 'o mounts to measure. The Cobra has an aluminum plate built into the transom, just fill the old holes with silicone & drill & tap some new ones to match your engine/mount, Rick.

As I have already said. The spacing is the same as the Dubro mount for the K&B. How do i know ?? I have a couple & I have checked the measurements!

Ian

Id say a K&B with a Dubro adjustable mount.

Ian
The "I'd say" didn't sound like you knew for sure or had measured anything, Ian. Sorry to sound like anyone was doubting you. If you knew for sure, you should say so........at least you measured a mount, the rest of us obviously didn't (-;

As I have already said. The spacing is the same as the Dubro mount for the K&B. How do i know ?? I have a couple & I have checked the measurements!

Ian
Hardly what you already said. We can't read your mind.

If you had said you measured one and it was the correct measurements mentioned we would not have needed to still be guessing.

"I'd say" sounds more like just another guess than a confirmation.

Best of luck Rick. Hope you get the mount to fit your existing pattern.

Ian might one of those mounts be available? Robert I did ask the previous owner and the one before that was also asked. Neither of them knew what had been mounted originally. I can fill in and re drill but would like to find something that will simply bolt on. I'm being lazy.

Rick H.

I`d say they are.I bought one off ebay not long ago. Tower Hobbies list them..

Hope this information helps.. :)

Ian

Rick, pm me your addy. I have a dubro mount you can have for free. Be out of town til Monday, will ship then.

Back