What is best for the hobby?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think RTR zone was a good idea just the wrong person running it if that is where we think the future of this hobby is going maybe a rival site with all the info would work?
James did create RTRZONE but he does not run The Zone I Do Most of the of the work in The Zone!!

Boy TERRY you sure Type real mean,,,LOL!!!

I thought the subject was to bring more people in to the sport and that would be RTR WHATS UP W/ THE HERE WE GO AGAIN

IF YOU THINK I HAVE ANYTHING TO DO W/ RTR ZONE YOU ARE SOOOOOO WRONG !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I recently infected my son and two of my nephews with the rc boat bug, thats 3 new boaters to the hobby.

I think RTR zone was a good idea just the wrong person running it if that is where we think the future of this hobby is going maybe a rival site with all the info would work?
James did create RTRZONE but he does not run The Zone I Do Most of the of the work in The Zone!!

Boy TERRY you sure Type real mean,,,LOL!!!
you know adam i have pm'ed you before on not being a pain on here, you might need a month off from here ?? maybe then you will quit trying to help your bad apple friend out , and thinking that you are going to get any of us to think for a second he is a good person.. he will jack you as well, you just wait pal.. and if you dont stop causing trouble on this site , i will have you removed for good, so this is your last warning and i guess i do type real mean, you must have got that from your friend.. thanks

terry

KEEP THE FAITH !!! TERM YOU DO TYPE MEAN LOL !!! REMEMBER NO NEGATIVE POST !!!! I will shut you down??? I DO NOT SEE THE PROB THAT SCREAMS KICK YOU OFF???

wow the one thing tom hates to see,,,yet it appears in his thread......stay on topic.....that is disrespectful :( ,,,tom has expressed his feelings about that situation,,,,numerous times......

most important thing for newbies,,,is help,,,everyone knows how important set up is,,,except newbies,,,,if they have a boat that porpoises like crazy or hooks,,,or stalls constantly.... it will drive them crazy....i have seen to many people not want to give away there secrets,,,but it doesnt mean you cant help out a little,,,,couple pointers in the right direction can make all the difference....i just got a buddy into boating with a sv-27,,,,,if i werent around to teach him what i know,,,he would have already sold it...that is right out of his mouth......walt,,,,hats off to you for taking your time to help fellow boaters... im sure they greatly appriciate it

alden

You know I love this hobby as much as anybody i know, But it was the compitesion and fellowship i loved the most. Yall remember the Jackson RC boat modelers one of the best rc racing sites in the country? Its down from 20 members to 4 and we have not had a race since the spring of 07. We tryed as a club to get newbies when we were a strong club. Its very very hard to do. As far as nitro gos in district 5 its just about DEAD. Dont get me wrong im in no way trying to be negative, but what you see is what you get. Tom I truly wish there was an answer to your question, but i have no idea what it is. I myself have had to put away the boats because of several reasons, mainly $$$$$$. Mabey it will get better in the future I truly hope so. I miss all you guys at the races.

Tomcat 22

I know that this is a forum on the negitive between nitro & gas ETC , I think, but I like to tell a short, some what short story on how some just killing the hobbie in general.

Here in Syracuse NY this past weekend,we had a hydrofest with the real 1 liter to the 5liter class boats .I asked, one of the local racers in my town, in the 2.5 liter class ,If our rc model boat club the ("Syracuse Nitro Burners") put on a little display of our RC race boats and he let us. there is only 3 members in our club. That is why I wanted to do a display to promote our hobbie and get more local members that didn't know we had a RC model race boat club.

(me,I been racing for 20yr,my younger brother who started 2 yr's ago and loves it and is still active in racing,and one old time friend that hasn't raced or been active in racing sence 1990, that jumped on the band wagon when he heard about the real boats and that I was doin a display at the races.)

Now let me tell you ,this guy(the third member) "no names"At the hydro fest display, talking to people that came up and asked questions and I say alot of questions and alot of people say about 500 or more, made this hobbie sound so expensive, that if you could'nt afford a BMW ,you could'nt afford to do model boats,EX. my brothers Dumas CC scale hydro.started at $2000 and ended being $4000 during the prosses of the day, I had to step in numerus times to correct him and tell people that you can do this kit for $700 to 1000 tops and this is a scale kit and it takes more to do, over other boats.and told people that there is smalles sport hydro out there and RTR's that wont break the bank.plus used boats on here and "E" bay and if they not shur if it is a boat is junk and not worth buying on E bay(You Know ,keep them away from one those Ebay Gems, LOL.) to call me and ill take a look to see and call them back with the info good or bad on the boat they were looking at on Ebay,Be more than glad to help them go in the right direction.(lot of people lived locally that didn't know there was a rc model race boat club) ,and by the way, we here know what the true price is for doing this CC kit from Dumas. plus he broke the 100mph mark with a 40-60 sprint cat with an OPS .67 and holds the record.

Ending statment .Love this hobbie to death and enjoy helping new boat and keeping them away of the pit falls of this hobbie that "I HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCE" so they can have an enjoyable time with this hobbie of ours.. I donot like people that balloon it up, so they can sound like some big shot (that drives a BMW)which he doesn't he drives a P.O.S. and if I lose him as a member, thank GOD.

sorrry to get lengthy, but this has been burning at me and had to get it off my chest, for three days now ,I feel better now.

Thanks for listening

Scott N.Witherell

I am all for promoting the hobby. BUT! If I were looking to get into nitro I would certainly want to know the costs these days. Pure nitro just went to $2080 for a 53 gallon drum ($39.25/gal). A single gallon of pure nitro is $95. And keep in mind that mixing your own is the cheapest way out. I heard that O'Donnel was $70+?

I would not say that the comment at the beginning of the thread was neagtive, only the truth. People ask me, "How much does that cost"? And an honest person will tell you get get at least $1000 to have a boat and everything associated with running it.

You talk of getting young newcomers into the hobby but how many of them can honestly afford this and/or present the cost to the family budget as a "hobby".

BTW, just one more reason to go gas.

I am all for promoting the hobby. BUT! If I were looking to get into nitro I would certainly want to know the costs these days. Pure nitro just went to $2080 for a 53 gallon drum ($39.25/gal). A single gallon of pure nitro is $95. And keep in mind that mixing your own is the cheapest way out. I heard that O'Donnel was $70+?
I would not say that the comment at the beginning of the thread was neagtive, only the truth. People ask me, "How much does that cost"? And an honest person will tell you get get at least $1000 to have a boat and everything associated with running it.

You talk of getting young newcomers into the hobby but how many of them can honestly afford this and/or present the cost to the family budget as a "hobby".

BTW, just one more reason to go gas.
I'm a total newbie - this is my second year. I got into boats after watching the local club race and when I saw riggers doing 60+ my jaw was on my shoes. To me that is the BEST promoting that can be done! However my opinion is that the general public isnt very aware of RC Boating because the ponds are usually in out of the way places (where as cars/trucks/planes are used where they are more visible to the public). I only became aware of the boat club on a bored Saturday and I wanted to take my son to see RC planes and I can across the loacl RC boat site on the 'net and thought what the ... otherwise I'd still be clueless.

I think clubs need to be more promoting my getting into the public's eyes.... things like showing boats and videos off at the LHS, (here we have the Mega Mall which would be a great opportunity), inviting the press to the championships and so on. The more exposure the more that will get into the sport!

As for costs, my Miss Bud 1/12, 1 qt fuel, a fuel pump, plugs and builing a box - I was off and running for under $600 and I happily ran it maybe 15-12 times and still cost was under $600 (just a couple plugs & a MAC pipe). Not all of us are going to be racers or want to be and going 25-30 mph is fun (my son's eyes say it all). The local club is now a 1hr drive, so I run it on the lake in front of the house and they neighbors think my boat is fast (can you believe it!!) Now I've just paid for my first .21 (a Novarossi) and will be stepping into something faster. Sorry for being so long winded but I think this is a pretty typical example of how people get into this hobby and worth pointing out.

It is really hard to say how to promote the sport in my opinion. I say this because our club has done many things to try and expand but it has never worked.

We had a booth set up at the entrance to the unlimited hydroplane races so EVERYBODY had to walk by us. When we fired up a boat over 100 people gathered around. That weekend over 100,000 people attended the races and we aquired zero members from it.

We attended and ran at hydroplane race (the kind you kneel down in) and had terrific interest. Zero members.

We attended an RC show in a local mall. Zero members.

We post signs on the road when we have our district race. Zero members.

We make lots of noise from behind the church and get lots of spectators but zero members.

The LHS is 1/2 mile away and we might have gained 5 members over the years.

We used to have a "tune up" day where the more experienced boaters would set their stuff aside and help others. Others eventually quit coming and so we quit tuning.

We went to ALOT of trouble to set up a course and hold a major race in another city. Zero members and nobody ever started a club there. We also hold our SAW there every year.

It seems most boaters take an interest in boats before ever seeing them. Then after getting their feet wet they source an organized club. I bet if boats where like planes and cars with hundreds of pages in the Tower Hobbies magazine then the sport would grow. Would this be a good thing? I don't know because most of the good stuff comes from individuals that take alot of pride in their work to be able to provide top notch racing equipment.

Back