What is best for the hobby?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like a newbie still. Even though I have been racing for 4 years. The thing I love about our sport is the comradory of the fellow racers. I race R/C trucks and buggies and have done it for many years. If you go to a truck race you will see drivers get up there and show their butts just because of something trivial and ignorant. You don't see this side with the boats very often and thats refreshing. Also I get alot of help from local members of the club I belong to. I race to have fun and I try to promote in that way. The scariest thing for myself is fear of running over someone elses boat, but I also realise that comes with the territory. So if I hit a boat you know its an accident. Oh by the way I have talked to a couple of people and they had said that nitro will be around for awhile. They expect the shortage to be short lived. Also anyone reading this thats getting ready to purchase a RTR. I would purchase a Miss Vegas for ease of getting to everything. Well thats my 2 cents

i think 99.9% of us want that, also, grim. but, not being open & honest about what is involved to go FAST will be more harmful than helpful, imho. the newbie needs to be aware of what they want in this hobby, how to achieve it, & what it costs. doesn't matter if it's rtr 7.2 volt electric or a .90 rigger. i don't want to scare anyone off, but for someone to go to 1 race, get the "fever", and then jump in unaware of what is involved will prolly not make us another boater, rather a dissatisfied ex boater. if they just want to have fun, that needs explained to them, if they want to race, then that whole DIFFERENT set of requirements needs to be on the table, also, imho. not being open will hurt us worse, than talking about high prices & ponds being lost. it is a fine line between being honest about boats & sounding negative. but, our boats are no different than ANY OTHER MOTORSPORT, SPEED COSTS MONEY. the faster you want go, the more $ it costs. just a reality, the world over.............

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure we all want to be honest and help our hobby grow or we wouldn't be here on IW helping who we can if we didn't.

Normal discussions about rising costs of motors plugs etc are normal. Just don't beat it to death.

But I still feel like that fine line is crossed with hypothetical nonsense like what if CMB goes under,Nitro's dead and Chicken Little, the sky is falling coments that have been posted in the recent past.

I think this is where Tom's coming from too.

Yes, we know the cost of Nitro's goin up,we don't need a daily post to tell us what we already know. ENOUGH!! Read the history here on I/W.The search function does work!

I have to applaud our friend Don Ferrette for shutting down a post of just the same yesterday.Thanks Don!!

So, lets get on with what we like to do best, racin, helping others, makin this hobby grow, and shootin the breeze.

Lets put Chicken little to rest already.

PLEASE.............

Bingo Waltr when a post has 5 and up pages it is about beat to death and really does little to help promote model boating.

I'm sure we all want to be honest and help our hobby grow or we wouldn't be here on IW helping who we can if we didn't.Normal discussions about rising costs of motors plugs etc are normal. Just don't beat it to death.

But I still feel like that fine line is crossed with hypothetical nonsense like what if CMB goes under,Nitro's dead and Chicken Little, the sky is falling coments that have been posted in the recent past.

I think this is where Tom's coming from too.

Yes, we know the cost of Nitro's goin up,we don't need a daily post to tell us what we already know. ENOUGH!! Read the history here on I/W.The search function does work!

I have to applaud our friend Don Ferrette for shutting down a post of just the same yesterday.Thanks Don!!

So, lets get on with what we like to do best, racin, helping others, makin this hobby grow, and shootin the breeze.

Lets put Chicken little to rest already.

PLEASE.............

I have to agree the only thing i feel they might be seeing to much negitive to the positive true they need to see both sides but let them see more later on like most of us have. Good to see people wanting to get into the sport we dont want to run them off. Robert

I think it would be best for the hobby once a new person gets in to the hobby and gets in a club that the club trys to help the person as they learn. I will not say what I want to say as some may not like it but that's just mho.

I have not posted any responses before today.

I feel that we definitely need to promote this hobby to get more youth involved. As I have been to a few races, I see very few youthful racers. Youthful to me is teenagers and early 20's

I am relaltively a newbee (2 yrs) and know from personal local experience that most of the members will help you if asked. I have found that few will offer their help voluntarily. Most of what I have learned is via the internet.

The local PLANE group offers help to newcomers one night a week during their season. Perhaps the local boat clubs should do something similar. I know that I would have attended any kind of hands-on help when I got into this hobby.

Our Evansville club is blessed to have such a GREAT facility available to them. They need to promote it, advertise it, and invite and help new comers.

I realize that this takes some time from people that have busy lives. In order for this hobby to expand, it needs to help those that do not have the experience.

Walt's seen what I have. At our new site it's behind an R/C car track we've been getting a lot of interest from the 4-wheeler crowd lately. The track owner just bought himself 2 RTR's, a BL Super-Vee 27 and a Miss Vegas. The hope is to get some weekly RTR races going on a local level.

Gary,

In Grand Rapids Mi I make it a point to be there every Tuesday eve and Saturday afternoon/eve just to help if anyone needs it.

I dedicated 2 days a week so anyone who needs help can count on me being there. (Yup, until this gets off the ground better, I've stopped racing for a bit, but will be back soon with more racers to add.I hope. )

This past Tuesday (RTR Tuesdays) we broke in and I helped setup 2 more Miss Vegas hydros for club members that needed the help. There's a good chance next week I'll see 2 more new ones to help with also.

I think I only ran a dozen laps with my own boats, but had a great time.

Nitro's definitely growing in G.R., but still has a long way to go.

And a side note, we also run Gas and electrics if you have em, I run both Nitro and gas myself.

talking down on any aspect of this hobby...whether its cause you run nitro and dont like the gassers, or you run gas and dont like the electrics, or you only build your boats out of wood you cut and dont like that people prefer to buy glass boats does NOT promote this hobby...and while i dont post much here, ive been a member for a few years now and ive seen it quite often. HOW does talking down on any part HELP PROMOTE??????

I think the Biggest asset to our Hobby\sport is Friendly Clubs that will accept Any Boat, not just what they like. Waltr it sounds like you are building a real nice club, and it will be a great asset to the hobby in your area I wish there were more like your's out there. I feel RTR is the best place for a new boater to start in the hobby and the Sport of Racing. If they get into it they move up to bigger and faster boats , if they don't they haven't spent near as much to find out it's not for them. 1 on 1 or face to face is the best way to teach a new boater the do's and dont's about there boats, and the easiest way to see if there doing something wrong. I think the second best place is Forums where they can find info when there not at the pond and can make contact with other boaters all over the World, or find other boaters in there area. I think that excessive negativity stunts this hobby's growth, and that info can be passed on without being negative. I help many new boaters every week and you will rarely see me post anything negative or putting someone down. I do get uptight when I see someone posting things I know not to be true, passing bad info, or outrageous speeds without any proof and new boater are generally the most guilty of it. I am generally guilty of giving to much info or going to in depth to answer a simple question, but when I see a boaters question is sayin there going in a bad direction I try to give them all the info I can to let them know what there in for, many times a frustrated boater can turn into an X boater. It is impossible to please all the people all the time especially all in one place, and if there allowed to run amok things will get out of control in a hurry. People need rules and standards to adhere to and those need to be in forced with a strong hand, "If You Give People an Inch they will Try to take a Mile", there is a reason that saying has been around so long. I feel there is a big need for more Forums that are less diversified in there content. Having a forum that is more centered on one hobby puts people in contact with other people doing the same thing they are like boats on a boat forum planes on a plane forum ect.... Thats why RTRZONE was built, until recently RTR Boaters didn't really have a place to go and ask questions about there boats without getting bashed or told they had Toy Boats. I know many here like to kick dirt at the Zone(and it's creator) or call it a Stepford Forum, but it's the friendliest forum on the INTERNET and 100% dedicated to promoting our hobby.

Tom you have a great place hear with a lot of good info, don't let a few bad apples ruin it. Bad apples should be buried so new trees can grow!!

Tom you have a great place hear with a lot of good info, don't let a few bad apples ruin it. Bad apples should be buried so new trees can grow!!
you are friends with one of them bad apples , that has ruined many aspects of this hobby , mr. rtr himself, so you might want to get that shovel out and start buring that bad apple and i bet you would grow a forest on here..

terry

I think RTR zone was a good idea just the wrong person running it if that is where we think the future of this hobby is going maybe a rival site with all the info would work?

Lets not head down this road again
Road was kind of paved when James' business partner came here and advertised James' forum...

Need an admin in here to clean this thread up...

Sean

Back