What I hate about Model Boats !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy painting/ clearing when it comes out decent....one thing i learned the hard way...if something goes wrong when shooting automotive paint or clear, like a run or a bug landing in it.....walk away from it, and dont look back...when it drys, then you can fix it!!

I hate watching as they fly at top speed into a wall because the battery connector vibrated free from the Rx.

seriously, there are numerous kinds of positive latching connectors out there (your car is full of them,) seems like there'd be call for using something like that instead of relying on a friction-fit to three small pins.

Oh geez Tony, I've seen a lot of your paint jobs over the years and they've all looked great! I've pretty much given up on painting and just buy colored gel-coated hulls then slap some decals on them.

I got tired of constantly tuning the carbs on nitro motors so that's why my inventory of nitro boats has gone down while gas boats has gone up. OK, that and maybe hauling everything out of the trailer to the basement then back again. Man, I really need a garage!

I hate watching as they fly at top speed into a wall because the battery connector vibrated free from the Rx.

seriously, there are numerous kinds of positive latching connectors out there (your car is full of them,) seems like there'd be call for using something like that instead of relying on a friction-fit to three small pins.
jim, there are locks for our connectors. rocket city & tower offer them.

Oh geez Tony, I've seen a lot of your paint jobs over the years and they've all looked great! I've pretty much given up on painting and just buy colored gel-coated hulls then slap some decals on them.

I got tired of constantly tuning the carbs on nitro motors so that's why my inventory of nitro boats has gone down while gas boats has gone up. OK, that and maybe hauling everything out of the trailer to the basement then back again. Man, I really need a garage!
ron, no worse than the boat/hobby room being on the second story at my home.

crashing a boat 2 weeks after I finish it,.. after I designed it on the computer, had the parts cut, built it,.. tested it,.. found the set up,.. then,.. KAPOW..

Radio box tape around the receiver and connectors will prevent this from ever happening again!!!

driving to lake 40 minutes away, only to realize you left the keys for your trailor at home!

driving to lake 40 minutes away, only to realize you left the keys for your trailor at home!
Or driving 2 hours to a different race site, only to realise the transmitter was still on the bench at home......
2 others i have done.....only to arrive at the race site & realize the tx was on the roof of the car when you left home, or get to the test pond without the dean's antenna masts for the boats :unsure: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as bad, grabbing the wrong TX's. I had everything unloaded from the truck so I had to put everything back then drive home to get the right ones. Fortunately I was about 1-1/2 miles away.

Winter..............
It depends on your attitude. We've got that time to build a new boat or do those tweaks on the ones we have.

The part that sucks though is having a new boat ready in January and we're up to our wazoo's in snow.

Just as bad, grabbing the wrong TX's. I had everything unloaded from the truck so I had to put everything back then drive home to get the right ones. Fortunately I was about 1-1/2 miles away.
ron, the key word is WAS on the roof.........

Did you run over it? Did you say "what was that noise?" when it slid off? How far did you go before it slid off?

Do I ask too many questions? :D

Did you run over it? Did you say "what was that noise?" when it slid off? How far did you go before it slid off?

Do I ask too many questions? :D
no noise that either my son or i heard, ron. yes, we did find it. it fell off after about 3 miles & landed in soft grass. was at the wtc, & was dumb enough that i hadn't brought a spare. the radio still worked perfectly all weekend. another reason i'm sold on the jr xs-3 ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I hate painting is knowing that it could all end in turn one . If you are a shelf queen modeler then your finishes must be amazing . For race thrashing , bright , fuel proof works for me . I absolutely can appreciate and worship fine finishes but in my world it just doesn't exist !! See you in turn one ! :D
You must know TeddyD..lol

Tony,

I would have to agree with a lot of the reasons that people have come up with in three pages on this topic.

But for me there is no better way to relax and meet great people like RC Model Boating. I cherish the friendships

that I have made thru model boating for 25 years. I have realized this year at Hobart, IN that I need to go out this

next year( 2014 ) and meet more wonderful people racing and enjoying the hobby/sport we all love so much.

Just helping each other get better and solving our own little engineering problems with our models is so rewarding

Don't You Agree?

Mark Sholund

what i hate the most is not being able to play boats 5 days a week and work only 2 days a week :)

really enjoy the building,painting and setting up the riggers

and knowing i did it all myself from start to finish and learning more each time

aslo as mark said the get away gatherings with friends

:)

The reason I hate painting is knowing that it could all end in turn one . If you are a shelf queen modeler then your finishes must be amazing . For race thrashing , bright , fuel proof works for me . I absolutely can appreciate and worship fine finishes but in my world it just doesn't exist !! See you in turn one ! :D
You must know TeddyD..lol
Teddy puts a lot of time in getting a great finish on his boats. This picture doesn't do it justice.

DSCF1812.JPG

Latest posts

Back