What Hull for LAWLESS 7.5 FastGun Lower Unit Full P Class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSCARPINO

Is there anyone who can guide me to the best Hull for a Lawless FastGun 7.5 lower with Nue power for

full P class set at 34" NAMBA legal hull length.

I would like to buy (4) either kits or fiberglass hulls.

I have not found anyone to commit to the lawless being ok to properly

set up to a hull with the extended drive dog placement from the transom that the lawless has compared

to the K&B which is about 2" shorter than the Lawless from the transom.

Any suggestions would be awesome......

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

The 34" is based on the overall hull length only. I think the Lawless or K&B either one will work for you, just a lottle different in setup. I know Carl is working on a 33.5" THOR specifically for this and the 46 stock class. You can check with him on the status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ron for the Info.

Kris

The Lawless lower is in my opinion is better built than the K&B

It is machined not cast.

The sweep on the full .1875 shaft is less than the K&B and results in less

friction and stress on the shaft and collet and motor.

The motor also lays down lower than the K&B so as to be able to

get it into a good position behind the cowel.

I have used the 3.5 Lawless lower and it performs very well...

I used it on the Lynx and had really good results.

I have 3 brand new 7.5 lowers to use and know there is a hull out there somewhere that they will

marry up to.....

So I am hoping that people will have an answer for me on which hull to use..... or if I buy a kit if I can

leave all the running surfaces as is but simply move the transom area forward on the hull to make

up for the footprint difference.

Thanks

Joe

Hey Joe,

They are great units. But do you think you need the big lower unit? Just curios if you have had any issues with the 3.5 Lawless and shafts with that power. What mount are you using on the transom?

I ran my 'full' P (only a 1515 1y 4s1P) boat (33" Dragon) yesterday and I have to say that I am VERY happy with it on the 3.5 lawless. I will upload a video and put the link in my other thread shortly.

Hey Kris,

I am working on this project with Joe. We were thinking of using this lower for the larger shaft, we like horsepower in Colorado

Has some thing to do with the altitude I think.

Can you give more details on your set up? Like the weight, prop size, esc.

I am familiar with the motor your using, how are your shafts holding up so far?

As Ron stated the difference between the 7.5 K&B and Lawless is minor trim settings. For a "P" the OS .150 shaft holds up well. Remember a nitro motor has one large power pulse per revolution where the 4 pole FE has 12 smaller pulses per revolution. Much easier on the shaft.

For less than 34" hulls available that will hold "P" power. Carl's 31" Shaman is not currently being built and that leaves Kris's 33-Dragon and the ML 335 kits. Mark Hopper does have a 340 HTB in his lineup. Just a matter of who has supply right now as there seems to be a market for the P and .45 superstock hulls. Anyone building hulls jump right in the conversation, the door is wide open.

Mic

Hey mate,

My 33" boat in the video weighed in at 6.05Lb rtr with a 4s1p 5800mah Entropy lipo.

I think my kits will come in around closer to 7 with the better wood and different center section contruction.

I was using the prop from P Spec boat first (42x55 barr cut amd cupped and de tounged) and it was not much different to the m445. I also ran an m545 but not sure if it was quicker or not...temps and amps were up though...

ii will do more testing this weekend with the eagletree gps to see what speeds it says I am getting..but it has to be mid 60's

esc was a swordfish 220 pro (datalogging).

Shafts seem to hold up well for me. A 1521 will of course have more power but I prefer to spin smaller props faster. I might try my 1.5d 1515 on this boat and a 40mm prop and see what it does :)

I would say thid was as fast as my Q boat I raced at the Herb Stewert race in FL in November. ..that was the fastest boat there (Vision hull) but the boat was overpowered and could not be held wide open, especially down the front straight.

let me ask you. What speeds are others doing who you race against? Do they need to slow diwn for the corners? If so, how much? Can they run fast in race water?

I will be in a position to send a few hulls for trials early in the new year for people to play with and make sure they are happy with how it performs. ..none will be "sold" untill this final testing happens. I can test all I want, but not everyone does things the same way or drives the same.

will you guys be running 2P? What is the size of your lipos? What speedy are you planning on using?

Cheers

Kris

Here is a picture of a Woodstuff 32. Milled down 7.5 Lawless lower with Kris Flynn shafts. Lehner 2240/8 26,000 rpm, Castle 240, 5,000 mah 4S-2P, 447/3-450/3 props. Used to have a 3.5 on here. Too small. Very fun boat.

100_3703.jpg100_3702.jpg

Bob,

Most of the FE guys, to lower the CG, mill out the lower to allow the square drive adapter for the flex shaft to be recessed into the lower unit. This permits the FE motor to be directly bolted to the lower unit. If you zoom in on the pic, you can see the milled area and visable flex adapter where "Lawless" is stamped into the lower unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - the milled part is the bored out hole for the motor coupler to fit into. The challenge with this lower was the wedge shaped spacer that had to be fabricated that goes between the motor and the lower. Thanks to Kris Flynn for the idea!

P motors are heavy. Without the milling and fabrication, this motor would have been about 1 to 1 1/4 inch higher.

Jeepers - good to see you are around. Miss running with you guy's.

Doug

All you Guys are awesome...

Than is some really good information to digest.

Thanks

You all so much....but I will be back to see if anything else is brought up here.

I plan on getting the 3 hulls in the beginning of January for my winter builds.

Also want to get a Q OPC hull and I believe the Lawless 7.5 should be perfect for the

Q power class on a 40" hull

Thanks again and this why this forum is so great....

Hey guys thanks for the reply. No one here in Colorado has full blown P class tunnels.

The fastest fe tunnels here are P specs.

Doug P. Its good to hear from you! Joe and I are thinking of going to Winter Warmups.

Nice looking setups Shane and Doug ;-)

I think Brian B is one of the only others to run a full P setup...he used a cut down 45 leecraft.

Jeepers - will miss you again. Our group won't be attending the Winter Warmups. Going a different direction with electric.

Have fun. Doug

Back