Wet servo's brought back to life

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you use the right PAD if you use one.

the gell pads make a real mess :eek:

Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Back in the stone age, we always used WD40. Back then our radio boxes were not so tight and we ofthen had wet radio gear. I carried a small coffee can filled with WD and we would take the wet radio equipment and dip it in the WD for a couple of minutes. Take it out blow it off and let it dry for a few minutes. The WD displaces the water and prevents corrosion.

D
Good rememberance from the old days. The WD actually stands for Water Displacement. That is what the inventor was thinking when it was conceived.

Well the water displacement part I under stand, I was curious about the residue left over from the WD40 actually causing shorts and if it was safe on circuit boards so on & so on....

Tim yes methylated spirits sounds like a good idea....What about kersoene, considering it's oil residue would be helpful against corrosion???

Well the water displacement part I under stand, I was curious about the residue left over from the WD40 actually causing shorts and if it was safe on circuit boards so on & so on....

Tim yes methylated spirits sounds like a good idea....What about kersoene, considering it's oil residue would be helpful against corrosion???
Never tried Kero. Oil is not always a good thing with boards, plus I think kero may harm some plastics.

I just use metho or board cleaner aerosol - they evaporate and the oil % in it is very, very low %. The good thing about Metho is it is usually there at a race day because people use it to clean the tape area of their radio box lids. You can use it pretty much straight away after unplugging power - and with electronics, prolonged exposure to water can be bad so it's best to act quickly rather than to wait until you get home etc.

I've seen people use the "female hygene product" in the radio compartment and the "male contraceptive device" on the receiver at the same time - I wonder if the boat got mixed signals........ :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I could just imagine what my wife would say if i asked her to get me some rubbers and tampons for my boats.....

Open up the servo and spray it with Corrosion X.

Unless you have rice or a dryer at the pond. ;) ;)
Corrosion X is an amazing product for elec. corrosion, I use it on every thing in my radio box.

All leads, plugs, switches, and even after a servo gets wet, take apart servo, spray with

corrosion x, let air dry, and normally, servo is back in action.

Also , I'm pretty sure, if you have corrosion x on elec. parts before they get wet, you can quickly

remove the parts from moisture, dry them, and they are good to go.

Have done that several times. Plus , it keeps radio equipment, like servo and reciever plugs from

developing that green stuff, we call corrosion.

For anybody that may find this interesting......WD40 contains 51% Hexane(somewhat similar to kerosene)

25% propellant

15%+ mineral oil

10% inert ingrediants

I new kerosene is a great water displacement and I use it now to flush my motors, OS recommends it in there manual so thats good enough for me.

Not sure if it was such a good idea to flush my servo's out with kerosene :huh: but I gave it a go and so far so good....no spontainous combustion yet....see how it holds up to the test of TIME.

Only problem with kero is the horrible smell :wacko:

The WD40 will actually evaporate after you wipe it down. Like I said back in the day we used to dip the whole receiver in WD and wipe off and use.

D

I use Corrosion X now that I can't get Aero-Plate any more. Most are mineral oil (or spirits) based. I don't trust WD-40 as the results that I've had from it weren't good. Corrosion X also works great for frozen door locks if you live in The Great White North.

Think we need this stuff nanotechnology brush on clear coating, people use it to waterproof mobile phones..... would be perfect insurance for our expensive little electrical parts.

http://www.neverwet.com/

Back in the old days we used to dismantle receivers and spray them with electrolube military spec board lacquer.

I admit it was 100% my fault my radio box got wet in the first place yes, but sticky tape to seal up expensive radio gear is hardly 20 century tech now is it...there has to be a better way to protect our equipment from the chance encounter with the H20...

I have some of this Trio spray, prevents failure if your electronics get wet. Here are some video CC racing put on Jims BD.

http://www.jrcbd.com...&highlight=trio

I have two extra cans if anyone would like some.

One thing funny about this stuff is the non flammable coating will not let a glow motor stay running so not to be used in glow motors,to be used only on electronics.

Back