Wet servo's brought back to life

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden Bright

Well I thought I would share for anybody that may encounter the same problem.

Found out my radio box got a little water and the servo obviously got damp and upon power up the servo didn't respond just went to full lock.

I was under the impression that servo was toast so I went and got the replacement only to find the other servo had now decided to do the very same thing, after a few choice words to let off some steam I thought I may aswell give the hairdryer a go.

To my surprise it worked after around 10mins with the dryer on it the servo worked perfect, this worked on both servo's so I know it does work...

Supposedly if you drop your cell phone in the water you can put it in dry rice and it will suck the water out of it!

Yes the rice trick works. Have used it on a toilet express cell phone for one of my kids. Rice will take the humidity out of electronics eventually drying them completely out. The cell phone took about 12 hours before it would turn back on. If you used The trio spray you could leave them wet and they would still work.

Good point about the rice....guess the idea would be to put it in a container full of rice and leave for a period of time so the rice does the ABSORPTION method :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Fill your radio box. with rice, then at the end of the day you have a snack for the drive home.

servo / receiver - filled with water

1. open the case

2. fill with WD40

waiting some minutes

3. cleaning with break cleaner or methanol

waiting ~10 minutes

we testing many times - works perfect

servo / receiver - filled with water

1. open the case

2. fill with WD40

waiting some minutes

3. cleaning with break cleaner or methanol

waiting ~10 minutes

we testing many times - works perfect
Be careful with the brake cleaner. It attacks some plastics and after use, you will end up with multiple peices of the item sprayed, in your hand. Ask me how I know?????...... :eek:

Back in the stone age, we always used WD40. Back then our radio boxes were not so tight and we ofthen had wet radio gear. I carried a small coffee can filled with WD and we would take the wet radio equipment and dip it in the WD for a couple of minutes. Take it out blow it off and let it dry for a few minutes. The WD displaces the water and prevents corrosion.

D

Open up the servo and spray it with Corrosion X.

Unless you have rice or a dryer at the pond. ;) ;)

As Ron stated be careful what you spray on electronics. Any auto store and or Wallyworld has specific "Electronics" spray cleaners. That and compressed air with the final step, CORROSION-X will cure it if it is salvagable. If you want to absorb minor water in your radio box get a Shamwow and cut it into smaller strips. I have had boxes I thought were dry and took the Shamwow out and wrung water out of it. All my recievers get CorrosionX as a preventative. Works well on servo and battery plug contacts.

Mic

Don't laugh, disassemble a tampon and put the plug in the radio box. :p On visual inspection, if it swells up you got water. B) ==={}
Ray,

Some of the radio boxes I have seen lately will need a lot more than tampons. It's Super Maxi Pads for them!!!!........ :eek:

:D :D

Don't laugh, disassemble a tampon and put the plug in the radio box. :p On visual inspection, if it swells up you got water. B) ==={}
Ray,

Some of the radio boxes I have seen lately will need a lot more than tampons. It's Super Maxi Pads for them!!!!........ :eek:

:D :D
The best idea is to repair the radio box so the water does not get in. the best way to check the radio box, if you have an antenna tube is to seal the box and put the whole boat in the water and hold it under and blow thru the antenna tube and watch for air bubbles, if bubbles you got a leak....Then fix and try again :p :D

Walt Barney

Back in the stone age, we always used WD40. Back then our radio boxes were not so tight and we ofthen had wet radio gear. I carried a small coffee can filled with WD and we would take the wet radio equipment and dip it in the WD for a couple of minutes. Take it out blow it off and let it dry for a few minutes. The WD displaces the water and prevents corrosion.

D
Ok so it's safe to use WD40 on the servo's? I was curious if I could use WD40 to keep corrosion from showing up now that they have been wet.

Maxi pads and tampons how can you not chuckle at that :D .....but it's a great idea for sure

Hayden - Methylated spirits or denatured alcohol works well too. Also handy for cleaning radio box lids on the tape surface.

Latest posts

Back