Well, she's finally ready....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Elder

After a few months of effort and lots of help from folks on IW, she's finally ready for the water. I ran three tanks of fuel through her in the back yard to begin to break in the motor. Sloppy rich, kept the rpms down and kept checking the temps as the motor was running. Man that fit at the top is tight. I can't get it to turn over unless I heat the outside of the head first. I hope that doesn't stay that way to long. That's a major pain. :angry:

JAE21a.jpg

JAE21b.jpg

JAE21c.jpg

Robert, Looks great!!! I am sure you are as anxious to get it out on the water as I am with mine. Only thing is I still have to break mine in.. :( but that's part of it. Let us know how your first run goes.

Looks great Robert, Have fun with it. That tight fit is work to deal with, but once it is broken in that motor will make you very happy.

Robert,

Nice job on the boat. If you can find silver or blue fuel tubing it would look really cool.

I think either color would blend right in. A 90 degree water fitting on the top of the rudder

and it will be ready to pull an H-7 around the pond to break that motor in properly. You

must be left handed like me? The pipe on the right side may be different when you go to

launch it the first few times. Very nice paint job!!!

Nice Boat,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice build, robert! good luck wiping the grin off your face, once it hits the water ;) .

I know we've been through this a million times.. but sometimes when the pinch is super tight, I'll undo the water line,, run it super rich for about 2-3 tanks.. just fast enough but not really on the pipe.. this lets the motor get hot... oh yeah,.. If your running a newer NR, 5-7 port,.. you will need to restrict the water,.. or it will be a LONG time to get it running well.. I run a 0.050 hole in the cooling head.

I know we've been through this a million times.. but sometimes when the pinch is super tight, I'll undo the water line,, run it super rich for about 2-3 tanks.. just fast enough but not really on the pipe.. this lets the motor get hot... oh yeah,.. If your running a newer NR, 5-7 port,.. you will need to restrict the water,.. or it will be a LONG time to get it running well.. I run a 0.050 hole in the cooling head.
It is a new 5 port. Glenn told me to run two or three tanks out of the water, (which I have done) then run some in the water, rich and with the water 100% restricted. Not full out but enough to build up some heat. Then start leaning and adding water a little at a time.

For the first three tanks the head was between 140 and 160 degrees F. What head temp do i want during this process?

Last edited by a moderator:
180* minimum /220* tops for breakin, the engine may want to be hotter once it's run in. it will tell ya what it wants, just play with the water 'til it's happy.

It is a new 5 port. Glenn told me to run two or three tanks out of the water, (which I have done) then run some in the water, rich and with the water 100% restricted. Not full out but enough to build up some heat. Then start leaning and adding water a little at a time.

For the first three tanks the head was between 140 and 160 degrees F. What head temp do i want during this process?
Great looking boat! Yeah on the break in don't be surprised if you run it 10 - 20 runs with no water cooling...depends on how fast you start leaning the needle. The motor will tell you when it needs more cooing (either more fuel or water). The temp you are looking for is around 180 - 200. I use the finger method, if I can hold my finger on the head for 2-3 seconds then it is just right. If I feel like it burns as soon as I touch it then it is too hot, if I can hold my finger on it longer then it is too cold.

Glenn

nice looking boat there.Keep an eye on the brass tubes in the turn fin side sponson unless you did some type of mod during the build that gives you more glueing surface than the 1/8 plywood formers and the foam core.I have seen a couple 12 and 21's pull the brass out.Just keep an eye on it.

I went with that same fat pipe and really liked it.. We have been piching off some of the water intake ,or no water on the engine. But I live in CNY the air and water are still cold up here.

First time on the water today. I had a few adjustments to make after the first run and then I snapped my antenna tube :( so it only made one run. Nice and rich on the needle and she still hauled around the course in the high 30's/low 40's. Kinda twitchy in the turns so i will dial in say 70% dual rates and see how that improves the feel.

She pulls to the left a bit. I noticed that the left sponson has a bit of a warp in it. Ever so slightly curves inward at the tip and the tail. I also noticed some stress marks on the outside of that sponson at the boom mounts. I guess I will need to build another sponson (and straight this time <_< ) and replace it. Hopefully I can still run the boat a bit more the way it is and break the motor in a bit more while I get the parts and rebuild the left sponson.

One of the guys in the club got some pictures/video that I will share once I see it.

Latest posts

Back