Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetpack

Anyone using or have used DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue on their build ups?

I have used their contact cement for putting on decks and laminating 1/64 ply to 3/32 balsa skins I Had projects last 4 yrs so far no problems..

What's wrong with West Systems? It's made for marine use and is easy to mix and apply
Nothing is wrong with West or other epoxies. It's just that I've used the weldwood before in woodcrafts and have seen it used in full scale boat building and got me wondering if it would be a possible choice for models during the build up if it would save weight and be cheaper. All you do is mix with water.

I would definetly save sealing the hull with epoxy or urethanes.

I've been trying to find out the cured densitiy of the glues out there, and thought this might be a good alternative.

Sometimes its hard to estimate how much epoxy your going to use, or waste during the process, and cheaper might be even better in this case.

Are you talking about the two component glue or the brown powdered glue that mixes with water? We had used the powdered glue to make exterior doors in the shop I used to work in. Found the powdered glue to be age sensitive ( it would go bad in the package) also found it to be very brittle and in certain circumstances would shrink a very lot! Also it did not like cold temperatures during cure. We switched to Titebond three, mostly for the temp problem, cause we had an unheated shop. During the winter here in Sacramento, I do scrape ice off the winshield in the morning!! After using it in the shop, I find West system epoxies just easier and better all around for model boating. My .02$. Rudy

Well, here at coastal Texas, theres alot of marine shops. I've used MAS epoxy's and micro balloons and liked it alot, I havent tried West Systems and I've seen it but its a little bit more expensive than MAS though....

only time I've ever used a Weldwood product was the contact cement to install a 3/32 balsa deck on a 1/16 hydro, been nearly 4 yrs, no problems...Its strong stuff..

If your talking about laminating a deck for a scale hydro or something like that, then I'd go for the epoxy...West or MAS....Both are good..

Latest posts

Back