WAY O/T

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin,

You're very welcome. I thought this topic might strike a chord with a few folks (every pun intended, BTW :D ).

Music has always been a passion for me, even before I started playing the guitar. I played the trumpet in the 4th grade, then switched to the violin almost until high school. I got teased about it a bit, but it didn't bother me. I enjoyed it and I got a pretty good ear for pitch out of it.

I am constantly searching out new stuff to listen to, but all of it in the same vein: Progressive or power metal. Solid musicianship, cat least semi-complicated writing/arrangements.

For those into this sort of thing, the BNR Metal pages have been an excellent source of new material for me. One thing that I find cool about this site is the member listings for each band. In the listings, they also list what other bands each member has been in. After you wander around a while, you start to realize that these guys get around. Some of them get around ALOT. I have also found a few guys I knew of from bands I grew up on. Eric Singer is the current drummer for KISS, and has been for quite a while. He is also the drummer for a band called Avantasia, from Germany. It's quite a departure from KISS, but it's more of what he likes. KISS is his "JOB". The drummer for the Firewind I mentioned earlier, a guy named Mark Cross, spent some time in Kingdom Come, which all of you Zeppelin fans should be familiar with (AKA Kingdom Clone). I like to follow the members from one band to another because as you listen to their material, and I mean REALLY listen to it, you can hear their influence in the music form one album they were on and one they weren't. Some guys try to "fit in" while others don't. Steve Vai is Steve Vai whether he's playing for David Lee Roth, Ozzy or Whitesnake. On the other hand, John Norum, from the band Europe (The Final Countdown), was the original guitarist in Don Dokken's solo effort, and an incredible player in his own right. He tried SO HARD to sound like George Lynch (from Dokken), and failed miserably, so the whole effort suffered. Lynch is a tough act to follow, even for a technically superior player, due to a very unique style.

I could go on and on about this stuff. My brain is truely an open, overflowing cess pit of useless information regarding the heavy metal music industry. Bring it on..........

"YOU HEARD YOUR MOTHER...... TURN THAT SXXT OFF!!!!!!!!!" I can name that song in two notes. :rolleyes:

Mike Z,

Where ya at? I KNOW what you've got to say.

Tony J,

I'll admit, alot of the 80's hair metal was pretty cheesy, especially the videos. Alot of it sounded pretty much the same, too, but there were a number of bands that didn't get lost in the endless waves of bands that seemed to be popping out from under every garage door.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I put 15" lansing speaker towers in the windows of my parents apt in NY. Piped my stereo through my guitar amp and played CROSSROADS LIVE on 11. I was on the fire escape cheering on the crowd. Needless to say the cops came, with the landlord. That was bad, but not as bad as when my Dad got home. We used to have block parties with live neighborhood bands, God the good ole days. :D :D :D

I like darker stuff

Manson

Rob Zombie

Cohead and Cambrea

Black Label Society

Pantara

But MEGADEATH still rules the WORLD!

Grimracer

O yea Greg Hahn and the Hahn Boot Scooters Too!

Mike,

Can't do Manson. Just........ Can't...... I've listened to C&C but it hasn't really caught me as of yet. Zombie is....... Out there. But cool. BLS and Pantera are more like it. And there YOU go spelling it with two A's. Mustaine would be disappointed. What era Megadeth do you prefer? Jeff Young (who grew up in Kettering, OH, less than 15 miles from where I sit right this second), Chris Polland, Marty Friedman (my personal preference), or Al Patrelli?

You, too, need to check out Nevermore. It don't get much darker......

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Last edited by a moderator:
mayall rotated musicians almost every album. i seem to remember mic fleetwood & john mcvie in one version. peter green also played with john. saw a vh1 special on fleetwood mac, where they said john introduced them to each other. i liked fleetwood mac better with peter green, before stevie nicks. when they were a blues band. peter green is also the only musician that i can recall having a solo cut on a mayall album. "superstision", a long bluesy guitar cut.
He still does, I have seen him twice in the last 5 years and he had different guitar players. I saw Clapton in '77 in Augusta Maine...Muddy Waters opened for him,I'm glad I got to see him before he was gone. I agree with you that Fleetwood Mac was better with Peter Green. Gary Moore did a tribute album to him...Blues for Greeny, and there is Carlos Santana's Cover of Black Magic Woman. :D
Since we're all admitting how old we are here-I saw Muddy Waters open for Buffalo Springfield in 64-65? Loved Blues and Rock&Roll ever since. B)
I missed that one...I was only in first or second grade. :lol:
Larry, I reached "Geezer status" a couple weeks ago when I turned 60. You missed some great concerts PUP. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm still wet behind the ears... and 50 :D
Larry, that wasn't ment as a slam-when I call someone a pup-thats a compliment!
I didn't take it as a slam...I'm just a sarcastic smart a**! :lol:

brad, this is one of the best threads i"ve read in a LOOOONG time. cool idea! i'm just a couple months shy of 57, so i've wedged a lot of matchbooks under a few 8 tracks :p . been thinking about this off and on all day. the one guy i have listened to since the '60s, and still seek vinyl of on ebay is johnny winter. never cared for his "rock & roll, hootchie coo" stuff. but, when he burns up some blues, he just strikes a chord in me somewhere. electric, acoustic, delta or chicago style, he is my favorite. gritty lyrics, too. check out "when you got a good friend" from his first, self titled album.remember, this was '68. one man, playing a 12 string, one take. go find it online, & tell me what you think. i've seen him at least 20 times, or it seems like that many. just saw him a few weeks ago in winchester, small clubs are the best. he only tours now with a 3 piece group, been different people the last 5 or 6 times i saw him. in the studio, horns, piano, back up vocals & all the trimmings. live, bass, drums & him. later rod stewart doesn't do me any good, but with jeff beck...... mc-5? yeah, ramalamafafafa, rocket reducer #5. savoy brown was & still is another favorite. heavy metal was deep purple "machine head" or king crimson's "court of the crimson king" saw the door's infamous concert at dinner key auditorium in miami. that one got them banned in florida. question, who here over say, 45, HAS NOT owned a foghat "fool for the city" TAPE (cassette or 8 track qualifies). i bet i've worn the magnetism off half a dozen! saw the allman bros. as the second coming, a local jacksonville, fl. band in about '66. duane, barry oakley & butch trucks were in that one. best show/performance? prolly early ('69?) tull. best pure fun/boogyin'? billy preston. how he ended up on the bill with deep purple, blue oyster cult & savoy brown, i'll NEVER know, but he rocked the house! well, actually, palm beach int'l raceway (moroso park now). worst show? the doors. over 2 hours late, so drunk or whatever they didn't complete a single full song. just did obscene stuff & tried to play. strangest/funniest show? ten years after, had to be their first american gig. no roadies, no sound checks back then. came out, set up after the local band cleared the stage. tried to tune up. got zapped! they didn't know that us plugs were different polarity than the uk :eek: ! watched them have to rewire their own amps, while someone ran to get them some royal castle burgers. fun stuff, good memories. THANX brad & all the rest of you guys :) .
I saw Fog Hat at the Minnesota State Fair free concert bandshell a few years agoI had Fool for the City on vinyl till abut 5 years when someone decided they needed my record collection worse than I did. :angry: Wish I could have seen Duane and Barry. Saw Johnny Winter two summers ago at a little joint in Minneapolis called the Cabooze, the next nite he played the big stage at the Bay Front Blues Festival in Duluth.

In the 31 yrs i have been around i have NEVER been to a concert lol
to busy playing with boats and cars i guess.

chris
Chris, When I was in high school a teacher told us-the more things you learn to enjoy-the more enjoyable life will be. Glenn
Hey glenn,

I know what you mean.. i guess i am just the type of person that consumes things.

When i get going on something it is FULL bore. I spend so so so so so much time thinking about stuff like boats that i let other things in my life pass by.. I hope with the new born here that will change some.

Plus i guess i just never really felt the need to spend the money to go.

I have only wanted to ever go see to concerts and one you all will shoot me for.

I would love to see garth brooks as i have heard the puts on one of the best concerts around.

other being metallica.

maybe some day

chris

:lol: :lol: :lol: I see a few people here Kicked out the jams with MC5. :D I almost forgot about them.

I can't do rap either, rates right up there with Disco in my book.

Don't listen to CW either, but I do enjoy CR. Grew up with Poco, NRPS, Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, etc.... Can't forget Commander Cody either. My range is fairly broad, as I got older, I gained serious respect for Sanatra too. Not much Metal anymore, but I did burn a Leslie West and Mountain disc the other day. It was an awesome New Years show we went in the 70s.

My 1st concert was the 4 Seasons next was Tommy James and the Shondells at the Steel Pier, that goes way.... back. I wish I had those stubs to see that cost.
I can't do rap either, rates right up there with Disco in my book.

Disco....bahh I remember when The Stones tuned into disco. I was sure rock had died for ever LOL

Mountain, Cream, GFR were amoung my early favorites. I've seen Mark Farner promoting his stuff alot lately.

I did the garage band thing back in those days (drummer).

P.S. Walt, got the engines. Thanks!

Mike,
Can't do Manson. Just........ Can't...... I've listened to C&C but it hasn't really caught me as of yet. Zombie is....... Out there. But cool. BLS and Pantera are more like it.
**** Brad, You and I are so alike in thoughts it's scary........

Oh and I still listen to WZ "la Sexorsisto" + "Astro-creep" when I need a severe distraction from reality. If you like out there stuff like Zombie (wierd + sampling + a bit of metal thrown in for good measure) - Mike Patton is the master.

Ramones?

In the 31 yrs i have been around i have NEVER been to a concert lol
to busy playing with boats and cars i guess.

chris
Chris, When I was in high school a teacher told us-the more things you learn to enjoy-the more enjoyable life will be. Glenn
Hey glenn,

I know what you mean.. i guess i am just the type of person that consumes things.

When i get going on something it is FULL bore. I spend so so so so so much time thinking about stuff like boats that i let other things in my life pass by.. I hope with the new born here that will change some.

Plus i guess i just never really felt the need to spend the money to go.

I have only wanted to ever go see to concerts and one you all will shoot me for.

I would love to see garth brooks as i have heard the puts on one of the best concerts around.

other being metallica.

maybe some day

chris
Chris, At least one was'nt Dan Fogelburg, my wife took me to Radio City to see him. I nodded out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

70' Southern Rock even us Yankees could love...Duane Allman, Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker,Charlie Daniels, Black Foot, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special,ZZ Top :D
Those are amoung my all time favorites! Saw ZZ TOP at the Hollywood Sports complex.

brad, this is one of the best threads i"ve read in a LOOOONG time. cool idea! i'm just a couple months shy of 57, so i've wedged a lot of matchbooks under a few 8 tracks :p . been thinking about this off and on all day. the one guy i have listened to since the '60s, and still seek vinyl of on ebay is johnny winter. never cared for his "rock & roll, hootchie coo" stuff. but, when he burns up some blues, he just strikes a chord in me somewhere. electric, acoustic, delta or chicago style, he is my favorite. gritty lyrics, too. check out "when you got a good friend" from his first, self titled album.remember, this was '68. one man, playing a 12 string, one take. go find it online, & tell me what you think. i've seen him at least 20 times, or it seems like that many. just saw him a few weeks ago in winchester, small clubs are the best. he only tours now with a 3 piece group, been different people the last 5 or 6 times i saw him. in the studio, horns, piano, back up vocals & all the trimmings. live, bass, drums & him. later rod stewart doesn't do me any good, but with jeff beck...... mc-5? yeah, ramalamafafafa, rocket reducer #5. savoy brown was & still is another favorite. heavy metal was deep purple "machine head" or king crimson's "court of the crimson king" saw the door's infamous concert at dinner key auditorium in miami. that one got them banned in florida. question, who here over say, 45, HAS NOT owned a foghat "fool for the city" TAPE (cassette or 8 track qualifies). i bet i've worn the magnetism off half a dozen! saw the allman bros. as the second coming, a local jacksonville, fl. band in about '66. duane, barry oakley & butch trucks were in that one. best show/performance? prolly early ('69?) tull. best pure fun/boogyin'? billy preston. how he ended up on the bill with deep purple, blue oyster cult & savoy brown, i'll NEVER know, but he rocked the house! well, actually, palm beach int'l raceway (moroso park now). worst show? the doors. over 2 hours late, so drunk or whatever they didn't complete a single full song. just did obscene stuff & tried to play. strangest/funniest show? ten years after, had to be their first american gig. no roadies, no sound checks back then. came out, set up after the local band cleared the stage. tried to tune up. got zapped! they didn't know that us plugs were different polarity than the uk :eek: ! watched them have to rewire their own amps, while someone ran to get them some royal castle burgers. fun stuff, good memories. THANX brad & all the rest of you guys :) .
This stuff brings back memories....Deep Purple put on a good show at Hollywood.

Trying to remember who played at my first concert..... I was 15.

Ah, I remember now! Jay Ferguson and Spirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ELl0JuMNE

This guy inspired me to play drums. Recently donated my 1962 Slingerlands to a worthy cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRwu1ZNaQ7w...feature=channel

....and Sandy Nelson's 'Birth of the Beat'. Started listening to it when I was 5 and started playing it on those Slingerlands at 7. Loved drum solos.... sometimes 2 hrs straight everyday after school.

Always wanted to be a jazz drummer, but all the kids in around me wanted to play rock n roll so I got caught up into that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_FZtZ6C1Lo

i'm having that same problem, andy. i remember it was a surfing show, at an armory in nw miami. i was in jr. high, they also showed a movie, the endless summer, i think. jr. high had to be '66 or earlier, graduated from n. miami sr. high in'69. you're from miami, right? what part? miami shores, for me. n.e. 105 st & biscayne blvd. area.

i'm having that same problem, andy. i remember it was a surfing show, at an armory in nw miami. i was in jr. high, they also showed a movie, the endless summer, i think. jr. high had to be '66 or earlier, graduated from n. miami sr. high in'69. you're from miami, right? what part? miami shores, for me. n.e. 105 st & biscayne blvd. area.
You're a few years ahead of me Robin. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale. My dad used to circle track race in the late 50's early 60's on all of the South Fla. tracks. Went Drag racing in the late sixties when the new Strip opened out west of Hollywood.

Now that I think about it, ZZ Top played at the Sports complex where the Drag strip was, but my first concert was a show Spirt put on at Pirates World near Dania Beach. Saw Deep Purple and Rod Stewart there too.

Brad, if I ever run into you again I'll have to bring you a pile of guitar strings! My wife works for American Winding which is owned by Dean Markley. She brought some home one night for me to do some custom work on for (I know I'm going to screw up his name) Yngwie Malmsteen. The cool perk is that she gets free backstage passes to concerts where the guitar players use there strings. She got the job there partially because she can play and has 2 guitars, one a vintage Gibson with a matching tube amp a good 50 years old. This was back when Gibson was only 2 blocks from where I work.

Me, I play keyboards but not very well.

Larry, I think that I've got the Foghat ablum somewhere in my old stack of vinyl.

[update] I found the Stone Blue album but the Fool For The City is probably somewhere else in the crib. I remember the cover as a guy fishing through a manhole in a city street.

miami-hollywood dragway. raced there (wed. nite run what ya brung) & concerts there. saw elton john in '71 in the sports arena. horrid tin building, concrete floor. sounded awful. went to a few all weekend outdoor shows there, too. pirates world, i'd forgotten that one. saw led zep (second time), steve miller, grand funk, &, santana, & a few others that i can't seem to recall :rolleyes: there. btw, you get my pm about the rigger? no huge rush, it's not even in my workshop, yet.

My first concert was Cheap Trick at the LA Forum on New Years Eve, right after Live at Budokkon came out. That was one awesome night! I can remember the big deal in high school was to wear your concert tee to school the next day, and see how many people were as cool as you! After that, got into Bowie, Springsteen, Petty, and U2. Went to a Springsteen concert at the LA Coleseum with nosebleed seats, and got all the way down to the VIP section on the floor. Saw half the show there before the people that had the seats showed up and we got booted. It was alright though, we met some smokin hot chicks from San Diego, and had a blast. Saw Tom Petty at the Wiltern Theatre when they filmed his concert movie, saw U2 from the 8th row at the LA Sports Arena on mail order tickets, and again at Sun Devil Stadium, when they filmed Rattle and Hum. (after working the graveyard shift in LA, driving all day to Phoenix, taking a nap, and making it to the show just before it started). Also went to the premiere of Rattle and Hum at the Mann Chinese, but missed the performance outside because my wife wanted to make sure we had good seats. It's funny, but I still have all those bands on my MP3 player, even today.

Now I have teenage boys, so I have to listen to Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park, and Green Day too.

Can you imagine how many laws you would break today if you let your 16 year old son take a bunch of his high school classmates to a concert in downtown LA, on a school night, in the family car?

miami-hollywood dragway. raced there (wed. nite run what ya brung) & concerts there. saw elton john in '71 in the sports arena. horrid tin building, concrete floor. sounded awful. went to a few all weekend outdoor shows there, too. pirates world, i'd forgotten that one. saw led zep (second time), steve miller, grand funk, &, santana, & a few others that i can't seem to recall :rolleyes: there. btw, you get my pm about the rigger? no huge rush, it's not even in my workshop, yet.
Ah.......

Carlos Santana, boy can that man play guitar. He's one of my favorites, So.... Smooth...... I remember seeing Carlos around 70-71' at the Siani Temple in Elizabeth NJ. for the 1st of many times. I'll never forget that one.

Also saw Steve Miller get Booed off the stage at the Academy of Music in NYC.

They made a HUGE mistake billing The Flying Burrito Bros as the warm up band. WOW!!! I don't know how many of you ever heard of em, but the Burritos came out and just about tore the house down. Kick Azz Blue Grass/country rock that really rocked and they closed with a great rendition of Orange Blossom Special. They were Awesome!!!

Steve Miller came out, I'm a joker, a smoker, a midnight toker, It was like slow motion after what we just saw. Than it started, Booo....... Bring the Burritos Back,Boo.... Yup, NYC, one rough audience.

I liked the Steve Miller Album that was called Sailor,I think later they changed the name to Livin in the USA, that's about it.

My first concert was Cheap Trick at the LA Forum on New Years Eve, right after Live at Budokkon came out. That was one awesome night! I can remember the big deal in high school was to wear your concert tee to school the next day, and see how many people were as cool as you! After that, got into Bowie, Springsteen, Petty, and U2. Went to a Springsteen concert at the LA Coleseum with nosebleed seats, and got all the way down to the VIP section on the floor. Saw half the show there before the people that had the seats showed up and we got booted. It was alright though, we met some smokin hot chicks from San Diego, and had a blast. Saw Tom Petty at the Wiltern Theatre when they filmed his concert movie, saw U2 from the 8th row at the LA Sports Arena on mail order tickets, and again at Sun Devil Stadium, when they filmed Rattle and Hum. (after working the graveyard shift in LA, driving all day to Phoenix, taking a nap, and making it to the show just before it started). Also went to the premiere of Rattle and Hum at the Mann Chinese, but missed the performance outside because my wife wanted to make sure we had good seats. It's funny, but I still have all those bands on my MP3 player, even today.
Now I have teenage boys, so I have to listen to Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park, and Green Day too.

Can you imagine how many laws you would break today if you let your 16 year old son take a bunch of his high school classmates to a concert in downtown LA, on a school night, in the family car?
Cheap Trick....saw them play at the Orange bowl stadium in Orlando.

Back