Want to build a ML Boatworks 1/10th Scale Newton 132/ MHR 8012 Kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

I'm feeling quite intimidated and unsure about where to start with my next project. Initially, I was planning to build a Zippkits G30 or Vbox, but I've recently developed a keen interest in a 1/10 scale hydroplane FE. After researching and watching videos by Scott Meyers and Rotogeeks, it seems that ML Boatworks kits require a lot more time, labor, and preparation.

Has anyone here built these kits and can share some photos? I've emailed Accu-Tech and Hydroscales Creations for quotes and a parts list to get at least an idea of what's needed, but I'm also struggling to find a build manual for the ML Boatworks kits. The site directs me to newtonmarine.com, and from what I understand, these are actually build manuals for life-size boats. How am I supposed to utilize these?

Apologies for all the questions. I'm eager to build this ML Boatworks kit but just don't know where to start. For context, I have over 20 years of experience in RC building and have owned two boats already.

I hope someone out there can help get me on the right track. Thanks!

https://mlboatworksrc.com/shop-our-...lash-10th-scale-newton-126-slash-mhr-7931-kit

The ML kits are based on drawings from Newton, which are 1/8 scale drawings for the most part. There are no build instructions and they require a good knowledge of scale hydro construction. The rc unlimiteds web site has some older videos along with Scot's videos that will help.

Has anyone here built these kits and can share some photos? I've emailed Accu-Tech and Hydroscales Creations for quotes and a parts list to get at least an idea of what's needed
https://mlboatworksrc.com/shop-our-...lash-10th-scale-newton-126-slash-mhr-7931-kit
If you are in Western Washington, I'd refer you to the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum. That's where the boat is on display and maintained between vintage boat runs to take pictures yourself. If you would like to see some of the old boats running, including the 1980 Budweiser, you can see one heat here:

Something else you need to be aware of is the costs involved with prepping and painting your boat, after it's built.
First off, you will need to seal the hull. This is normally done by applying one or more thin layers of epoxy, something you will get more information on when the time comes. The reasons behind this is to protect the wood from water, keep the wood grain from showing through the paint and to give the primer a solid base.
Next comes the paint. You can plan on $150+ per color, of which you have three plus primer and clear coat.
Last, but not least, are decals. Depending on where you get them, plan on at least $75 to start.
I know of two places that make or made decal sets. One is here:
https://www.wesleyscustom.com/1980s
A second, that I'm checking on to make sure he is still doing decals, is here:
http://www.thunderboatgraphics.com
Just got a response, he's still in business and has the decal set for the 1980 Budweiser listed on his website.

Last edited:
I have built a bunch of the ML kits. The first time I tried I did 2 8255 gas hulls side by side. It took me about a year to build them both to completion. But I was not in a rush. In the last two years,
I have built maybe 8 ML kits. 1/10, 1/8 and 1/6th kits. They are all basically the same. The larger ones are just more work but really not a big deal.

The 1/10 scale boats are not bad at all. As a bonus, because they are so small you can use CA glues where as on the bigger boats I would not use any CA glue. If you watch Scott’s vids and you can follow the things he is telling you then you shouldn’t have any problems building a boat.

As for tips…
1) Make sure you can get a cowl for the hull and boat that you want to build.
2) Make sure you can get the decals kit for the boat you want to build.
3) When you order the kit also order the needed plywood to skin the hull.
4) I would ask Mike if he has any pics of the particular kit being built.
5) Ask lots of questions. Don’t be shy or worry about sounding dumb… ask questions.

There are plenty of really good builders on here that don’t mind helping guys out with builds. I have been at this a long time and when I see cool stuff I always ask questions.

I have tons of build pics. If there is something in particular you want to see, pm me and I’ll see if I can find something for you. Here are just a few…

Attachments

• IMG_9337.jpeg
    IMG_9337.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1694.jpeg
    IMG_1694.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1693.jpeg
    IMG_1693.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1700.jpeg
    IMG_1700.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1724.jpeg
    IMG_1724.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1730.jpeg
    IMG_1730.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Chris, both decal suppliers I linked have the decal set he needs listed on their websites. I wouldn't have posted the links if they didn't.
I totally agree with your "verify the cowl is available" recommendation. I would amend that, however, to include the tails and wings, if needed.

Chris, both decal suppliers I linked have the decal set he needs listed on their websites. I wouldn't have posted the links if they didn't.
I totally agree with your "verify the cowl is available" recommendation. I would amend that, however, to include the tails and wings, if needed.
I was talking in general about any boat that anyone is thinking about building and not a particular boat. Basically make sure you can get all the parts, (cowl, wings and decals).

By the way, to the original post, the Newton plans that ML is referring you to are for reference only and not build instructions. For instance, the paint sheet shows you where the decals go and all the paint lines. You can also use their plans to make a hull cutting out each piece one at a time. ML has already done that step for you using a laser cutting machine.

I have a brand new ML kit here if you would like me to take some pics of so you can see what you will be getting from them. I can even show you some Newton plans. Just let me know.

I know it's late but I just have to ask.
Since it was only 20 minutes or so from where I worked today to the HARM, I took a camera and shot a few pictures. I ended up with some detail shots of the 1971 Karelson Budweiser and its Merlin, the 1980 Griffon Budweiser, a Griffon used in the 1980 Budweiser, a couple of the 1973 Pay'N Pak engine bay(no Merlin in it), a couple from the replica Wahoo dashboard area, a few of the Dreamliner, one or two of each of the 1979 Squire, 1979 Circus Circus and the 1971 Madison. The last two are of the framing of the boats as they are being restored. Would anyone be interested in me posting any of these this weekend?

I know it's late but I just have to ask.
Since it was only 20 minutes or so from where I worked today to the HARM, I took a camera and shot a few pictures. I ended up with some detail shots of the 1971 Karelson Budweiser and its Merlin, the 1980 Griffon Budweiser, a Griffon used in the 1980 Budweiser, a couple of the 1973 Pay'N Pak engine bay(no Merlin in it), a couple from the replica Wahoo dashboard area, a few of the Dreamliner, one or two of each of the 1979 Squire, 1979 Circus Circus and the 1971 Madison. The last two are of the framing of the boats as they are being restored. Would anyone be interested in me posting any of these this weekend?
I would.

Back