Vintage NORCO EAGLET...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlugs

Hey gang, have any of you seen one of these running? Were they competitive in their day...? How did this type of hull drive; I mean, did they slide in corners or do strange things in the straights...?

I'm guessing it's a mid '70s kit. Had to snag this off eBay; the kit was made 'round the corner from where I live.. :)

Duane

eaglet.jpg

I built and ran one "back in the day." Dick Norsikian was the designer of the boat. I think I might have even done a review on the boat.
JD
Jerry,

Do you remember,was this the predecessor to Fishers "Northwind" or the result of the "Northwind"?

The Japanese still run a lot of these "delta" hulls and they still run very very fast.

I have often wondered how a surface driven,transom turn finned Northwind might run today in the right hands.

Remember Ken Theimers outboard?

[The last time I heard Fisher still had the molds for the Northwind squirreled away in an attic somewhere.:)]

Rod

I remember the Northwind my uncle ran quite fondly. It was the first RC boat I ever got to drive. I'd like to pick one up just for nostalgic reasons.

...The Japanese still run a lot of these "delta" hulls and they still run very very fast.I have often wondered how a surface driven,transom turn finned Northwind might run today in the right hands...

Rod
Not that mine are "the right hands" (was born with two left...), but it sounds like it may be possible to run a similar hull competitively...(?) This could be a fun "retro" project... :) Anyone know if this Eaglet would be considered a NAMBA legal mono hull today?

Thanks everybody, for your replies.

Duane

I built and ran one "back in the day." Dick Norsikian was the designer of the boat. I think I might have even done a review on the boat.
JD
Jerry, if you did a review and can find a copy, I'm sure a few folks around would love to read it; I would!

Cheers,

Duane

Hey Duane,

That’s a great find. What did you have to pay for it?

I had one in 1979 that I bought from a person in northern CA, I think his name was Bob Tolle. It was a fun boat, just had a tendency to spin out if it hit a ripple the wrong way. I know I have one of the Norco combo strut / rudder that I would be happy to send you if you would like. PM your address.

Will

Hey Duane,That’s a great find. What did you have to pay for it?

I had one in 1979 that I bought from a person in northern CA, I think his name was Bob Tolle. It was a fun boat, just had a tendency to spin out if it hit a ripple the wrong way. I know I have one of the Norco combo strut / rudder that I would be happy to send you if you would like. PM your address.

Will
Hey Will, thanks for offering the strut/rudder! I'll PM some info.

I thought I'd get that boat kit for the starting price of $9.99, but I had some competition for it later in the auction, and it ended up at $41 + shipping. Original kit price was $38.95, so I still did OK after 30 years inflation.. :)

BTW- The kit does come with full size plans, so maybe I can have them copied for folks who want to build one.

Duane

Jeez, I cannot find what I did with this morning's sport section let alone something I think I might have reviewed back in the 70s. ;)

I think the Eaglet design came after the Northwind. I also built a Norco "Avalon" which was a semi scale appearing cabin cruiser and powered it with a Fugi 15 outboard. That was a neat looking package.

JD

Northwind was the first boat I owned back in 1975. Thought it had the lines back then to be a real runner. I put a speed webra marine in it. I still have one of the webras NIB if you want it for a very reasonable price. Header is with it and all the paperwork.

Curt

They run very similar looking delta hulls over here in Germany in a FE class. Kinda like a SPEC class. Cool looking boat!

~James

Saw this one on ebay, he's awfully proud of it. Sorry didnt know how to post a link. Item number: 130070703721

Saw this one on ebay, he's awfully proud of it. Sorry didnt know how to post a link. Item number: 130070703721
Nice looking boat, but I think he's a little TOO proud of it... :rolleyes:

BTW - I just received my Eaglet kit today, and hope to be starting on it in a couple weeks (just started putting an RHT sport 20 together).

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Duane,That’s a great find. What did you have to pay for it?

Will

Will,

in the early 70's, Bob Towle and Art Hammond built and sold a similar looking boat to the eaglet, it was called a "monoKai", this boat was similar to Dick Norsikians original but was different in handling.

Indeed, it did tend to "hook" in the corners during a race.

Any chance this is what you bought from BOB?

Hi Rey,

This was an Eaglet. Bob had built it, but it just wasn’t competitive at that point. From what I remember the Prather and Scheoff (not sure on spelling) boats were the ones to beat in that area in district 9. I had good success with my Scheoff boat. I actually still have a very nice Monokai that I bought off EBay a few years back.

Any idea what happened to Art?

Please say hi and give my best to Chelsea for me.

Best regards,

Will

Will,

Chel sez hello and wishes you well in TEXAS!

I havent seen Art in years... we used to be neighbors (70's) when I raced in district 9 up at Shadow Cliffs....

Mom and Don Coad, Art Hammond, Bob Towle, Hap Williams, Fred Standa, Ray Frietas and i were very close during the 70's and we traveled to the races as a group.

Hap Williams did my motor work, his specialty was a Taipan .21 which powered a HUEY shovelnose hydro....I did well with that darn boat and wish I still had it today, would be worth a fortune!

Bob was a great driver and so was Art's son Alan.

Good boating this season!

Respectfully,

Rey Garcia

Believe it or not, only the metallic blue was sprayed. I was living in a studio apartment. Door wide open to the hallway and the balcony. Epoxy aroma lingering. Stereo too loud. I bet the neighbors were happy when I moved!

Last edited by a moderator:
The blotches in the blue are actually violet pearl mixed with clear and brushed over the whole thing. Kind of a cool effect that I wasn't trying for. Don't think I'll do that again...

Back