Vintage Mono Hull's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those Steve Muck hulls run very well. I still have a Muck, Spartan Streaker (39in) powered by a Rossi R65 Marine, scary fast, and fairly stable running in all conditions.
I was given a Steve Muck Spartan Streaker hull and a big box of parts about 2 years ago. The orignal owner bought it new in 1987 and never built it. I guess that's considered "vintage"! I built it and ran the original K&B 7.5 in it until the crankshaft split in two with less than a gallon of fuel through it. Now I'm converting it to surface drive and have a CMB 45RS in it.

those Steve Muck hulls run very well. I still have a Muck, Spartan Streaker (39in) powered by a Rossi R65 Marine, scary fast, and fairly stable running in all conditions.
I was given a Steve Muck Spartan Streaker hull and a big box of parts about 2 years ago. The orignal owner bought it new in 1987 and never built it. I guess that's considered "vintage"! I built it and ran the original K&B 7.5 in it until the crankshaft split in two with less than a gallon of fuel through it. Now I'm converting it to surface drive and have a CMB 45RS in it.
is that the same boat in your avatar image? The CMB .45RS should be noticeably faster

Oh yeah, I remember your boat. Nice.

I would retain the sub-surface drive set-up, it functions very well. Upgrading to a CMB .45RS should provide additional speed increase, able to run more prop.

Just to give you a guide:

My Rossi R65 powered Spartan Streaker sub-surface drive is set at 3/4in drop parallel, with very slight angle adjustments to control ride attitude. Using X450 and X452 prop.

My OPS 45 powered Youngblood 38in mono has sub-surface drive set at 5/8in parallel, with very slight angle adjustments to control ride attitude. Using X447 prop.

Both these mono's are somewhat similiar in hull surface layout.

My Streaker exhibited very fast straight-away speed, to the point, that it would "fly" off the water a few times. As I mentioned I would correct this by adjusting strut angle accordingly (prop-end down- I forget if positive or negative?). I really believe that this tendency to fly was partly due to the almost 1/4in-wide flange, where the deck and hull join, functioning as a "wing". Just my take

I would retain the sub-surface drive set-up, it functions very well. Upgrading to a CMB .45RS should provide additional speed increase, able to run more prop.
I've been told by several people to convert it to surface drive for more speed, and I've already fiberglassed the hole I had cut for the stuffing tube to run sub-surface. I'll see how it runs with a surface prop, I guess I could always go back to sub-surface if I want.

I've been told by several people to convert it to surface drive for more speed, and I've already fiberglassed the hole I had cut for the stuffing tube to run sub-surface. I'll see how it runs with a surface prop, I guess I could always go back to sub-surface if I want.
sounds good. Let us know how it runs, I'm very intrigued.

Anyone have pic of an old McGuffin mono? I think that's how it was spelled.

I just picked this Sightler 44 up such a beautiful boat. I bought it from the original owner that said he bought it from Doug Floyd back in the 80`s and set up all the hardware based off Dougs measurements. That`s as far as the boat got it was never finished and has never seen water (That`s going to change lol ) I just need to figure out the best engine choice for it ? Right now I have a OPS 90 and a couple CMB 45`s and I`m not sure if either is a good choice or if I should look for something else. Does anyone have an opinion on a good motor choice for this hull ?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Twin .45's
default_wink.png

It looks like most of the posts are about Vintage race mono's, but I figured I would share this anyways. Its a 38" Amps/ International Hobbies Baja 200s outboard mono. The black one is my hull, and the others are pictures from others. These were made in the 80's. They also did an inboard/outboard version like the gold one in the last pic. Mike

20140605_072652_zpseceac750.jpg

20140416_063356_LLSMedium_zps1fc7133c.jpg

_4_zps0f0de658.jpg

Ig11077_zpsc6c32339.jpg

Cool boats Mike !!! So I`m pondering putting my OPS 90 in the Sightler 44 but before I decide to go for it I`d like some feedback. So what do you guys think ? love it, hate it, advice let`s hear your opinions.
default_smile.png

DSCF0449.JPG

DSCF0451.JPG

DSCF0453.JPG

DSCF0452.JPG

DSCF0450.JPG

DSCF0454.JPG

I have the same hull and I run it sub surface with a cmb vac .91 and a 13cc mac pipe. the ops 90 will make very good steam. you need to get rid of that rudder set up in the middle and get it on the right side.

I had a 50" version of this boat and I am sorry I gave it away. have always loved the looks of this hull and it handles very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here`s some Sightler update pics
default_smile.png
For my engine I went with a freshly rebuilt OPS 60 with RPM rod, the pipe is a new OPS 60 pipe.

DSCF0526.JPG

DSCF0524.JPG

DSCF0523.JPG

Back