Viable motors for FE Sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl, If I was turning a 457 with a 1500 kv motor no way id switch.Turning a 457 at 33k without burning up stuff is what id think any fe sport 40 fan would love to do. Im scared to try that much prop but if it could do it I would. A 1250 would turn it easier but youd obviously lose pitch speed 27k - still good pitch speed for a x457 but probably around 65 mph whereas the 1500kv will probably put you in the 70's. The 1500 is a hottor setup so reliability COULD POSSIBLY - not definately be an issue.If you got the esc with the cahunas then go for it but the idea of running continuously over the rated 200 amps on my esc's is taking a chance I feel . If you have two water pickups in your rudder and can increase the water flow u can push things with much more confidence.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am datalogging over 200-220 amps with higher bursts with this setup. My rtr weight is around 12lbs as this is a 39" hull compared to most that are running a 36" glass hull which is definately lighter. I have dual water pickups which I am sure helps. The temps on the equipment are coming back good. I might still have to back off the setup as you guys have me scared!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lohring please elaborate the link by itself isnt enuf to understand what you are trying to teach.

To understand how much better things will work when cool goto the fairchild website and look at some fet spec sheets and you will understand how much better they work when kept at a temp no higher than 120 F. The fets performance is greatly increased by lower temp. You can get significantly more out of them if you can keep them cool. Theyre case dependent and the cases are plastic so......

Note this will change as there have been some major developments in chip designs like 5 leg mosfets and I heard somewhere some one developed a flow thru chip, where the cooling solution goes directly through the chip itself.

Hate to use puns but if it comes in cool dont "sweat" it. Smart companies underestimate there ratings coz if they say 380 amps folks will try to pull it;a wise practice.Saying 200 then having it take a 380 surge leads us to say hmm its bulletproof. I wouldnt at all be scared if im only "surging" 220 coz Im sure theyve underestimated their 200 amp controller. Overall a 200 continuous 12 s esc supports 13 or so hp. Based on some crude calculations id think the 200 hv could surge in a very short burst duration of 448 or so amps on 6 s. Would I try it? heck no.Theory is great but practically theres not enough metal there to run that major kind of amperage through.

Id backcut and tounge cut a x457 and add some cup if I could. I also have a few Beardslee t's that I promise him id try. A 457/3 and a 455/2. I gotta find a new lake to run.

I love NEUS but if I needed it and had the op to buy a 1500kv 6mm version 1717 id jump on it after what Ive personally seen. They are really good motors and becoming increasingly rare. A NEU is upwards of 300 bucks cooler and all. Either of the 3 make great 40 motors if run with the right props.

Last edited:
This season is my first venture into Q sport hydro and my setup is as follows...

Hull - PT SS45

Motor – Neu 1527 1Y

Controller – Castle ICE 240 @ 15 degrees timing (New version LV)

Props – Octura X452-X455

Batteries – GrimRacer 4200mAh (2P for 8400mAh)

I got a chance to run the hull in an “Open Rigger” class with a bunch of Gas riggers and couple of nitro boats. At this race I was running the X455. In both of the heats that I finished (1 mill lap, 6 race laps, and 1 cool down lap) I put rougly 1800mAh into each pack, so a total of 3600mAh. I am going to guess that my set up with the X455 the boat was near 70mph. Those gas riggers were probably turning faster lap times, but they WERE NOT pulling away from me too bad. I have a short video of the heat where I hit the buoy. I will try and get it uploaded to youtube for some reason, I am having trouble getting it uploaded. Terry Davis was taking the vid while I was racing.

I looked at my data off the Castle contoller, and if I zoom into just the Heat race (6 laps) I was averaging right at 100 amps. Which surprizes me a little, but that's what the data was telling me. If I remember correctly, the controller was around 150-160 degrees (peak) for the temp.

I am not real sure why you need more motor than the 1Y. I know that I am at the limit regarding how much stress the hull can handle. I am already finding some major issues with the hull flexing in the turns. I wish I could figure out why the youtube vid is screwing up...

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

Mike take your logged rpms and le pitch numbers and u can derive a close estimation of how fast shes going . Nice PT.

Last edited:
My Whiplash 40 is set up as follows.

Hyperion 45c 4200mah 5s2p

Hydra 240

Neu 1527 1.5d that I bought from Raydee.

Octura 457-460

See http://www.intlwater...=50710&hl=sport for one competitive, low cost (at the time) solution.

Lohring Miller
Look through all 3 pages of the posts. There are pictures , prop information, data logs, and videos of it running in a District 8 race against nitro Sport 40s. The same power plant was run in a Leecraft XT-460. It was a little too much for the Leecraft tunnel, but was about right for the Sport 40. Since the Scorpion price increase, we are looking at some other low cost motors with a little higher Kv.

Lohring Miller

Hugh I am not sure of my actual amp draw. I am a little nervous about putting my eagle tree in the boat, but I only put about 3300 to 3700mah total back in the packs or roughly 1600-1800mah per pack.

This set up gives the boat excellent balance. It has never blown over or flipped over in a corner, and has the speed needed to be a top contender even in the rough water of an open Gas/Nitro/Fe class.

Hugh I am not sure of my actual amp draw. I am a little nervous about putting my eagle tree in the boat, but I only put about 3300 to 3700mah total back in the packs or roughly 1600-1800mah per pack.

This set up gives the boat excellent balance. It has never blown over or flipped over in a corner, and has the speed needed to be a top contender even in the rough water of an open Gas/Nitro/Fe class.
Holly cow. A jeepers siting.

Hugh it comes in about 110-115.

Hey Sean hows it going?

I am still around, but I have been putting alot of hours in at work, and with some home remodel projects I have not had much internet time.

Jeepers I am glad to see that that 1.5D motor is still kicking :)

Mike I am running almost the exact same setup as you but I am pulling quite a bit more than 100 amps with my setup. I will say that I have not tried the X455 yet for the simple reason that the hub on the prop is so long I need a new shaft to run the stupid thing. It is possible that that prop is just the right prop for the hull and it runs super efficient with it. On my Sport 21 Whiplash I tried running small props at first and the boat pulled a lot of amps and ran hot. My thinking was IF I went any larger on the prop that it would be worse but it was the exact opposite, the larger I went (to a point) the cooler and better the boat ran.

Hugh it comes in about 110-115.

Hey Sean hows it going?

I am still around, but I have been putting alot of hours in at work, and with some home remodel projects I have not had much internet time.
Jeepers you and Raydee both need to add your real full name to your signature line or have us change your display name to your real name as per the new rules. Thanks. :)

I wish I could figure out why the youtube vid is screwing up...
I just watched it and it seemed to work OK. I still can't figure out why my video quality takes a hit when I upload to youtube. The video is much clearer in the native format on my home PC...

Later,

Mike

It looks like you have it dialed in pretty well. It hugs the bouys... Maybe a little too well :p

It looks like you have it dialed in pretty well. It hugs the bouys... Maybe a little too well :p
It's not bad considering it's a 36" hull racing GAS sized riggers. I need to talk to the guy holding the transmitter. I know'm, he's his own worst enemy!!! B)

Later,

Ball

Back