Twister marine Gas Hydro (running VIDEO ! )

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speakerboy

he Guys i am building up a new hydro . the design is from Twister marine , the normal rigger comes in a 5 inch wide model with small sponsons , i asked them to built me a 4 inch wide version to see how that will do in oval course . i also redisinged the sponsons and made them a bit longer .. the cowl is hiding all the components like motor , carb and pipe . it will be powered with a M&D cast motor , i have ordered a CMD turnfin for it . right now the boat is off to the paintshop , so i wanted to share some pics with you .

thanx for looking !

Jeroen

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a real nice rig. I like the mods you've made. That is

some sweet hardware hanging off the back. Who makes it?

Chris

Looks like a real nice rig. I like the mods you've made. That is some sweet hardware hanging off the back. Who makes it?

Chris
the hardware is from RCMK. After seeing Jeroens, i might switch to that strut for my rigger.

Jeroen where ya puttin the BigD sticker? :lol:

thanx for the nice reply's

if all goes right i hope to get her in the water in august .. the paintshop will take a while .. i just have to be patient .

the Hardware is from RCMK . thats right ! it looks good and feels good .. matierial is real tough .

the cowl is designed by hand and built to cover the motor and pipe .. the rigger is normaly a 5 inch wide model . also the cowl is 5 inch wide. . the guys built me a 4 inch wide model , so they had to cut the cowl in half . .took 1 inch away and glued the 2 parts togehter to git it fit in 4 inch .. i did reinforced the cowl from the inside out and sand it back in shape .. all hand work .! :D

no big D sticker on this one ! the D will be Big al lthe time it will run .. no need for a sticker to tell that ! :lol:

Jeroen

well , it took a while .. but the first paint is on .. using airbrush and lots of filler and sand paper to make it real sharp .. the whole boat is now plain white ..~!

collors will come next ..

thanx for looking ..

Jeroen

well , it took a while .. but the first paint is on .. using airbrush and lots of filler and sand paper to make it real sharp .. the whole boat is now plain white ..~! collors will come next ..

thanx for looking ..

Jeroen
Nice Jeroen, looking forward to the end result.

thanx paul .. i will pick up the hydro this week from the paintshop . Marc the artist sent me a teaser , i cant wait to built it and test run it .. more pics will follow but i will share the teaser with you guys ..

Jeroen

thanx paul .. i will pick up the hydro this week from the paintshop . Marc the artist sent me a teaser , i cant wait to built it and test run it .. more pics will follow but i will share the teaser with you guys ..
Jeroen
looking good. Marc did a good job, now we want to see the rest :)

Now that is a work of art!!!!!! If it runs as good as it looks, you are going to win a bucket full of trophies.

Thank you ! it sure is nice and i think there are about 6 coats of top paint on all diamant paint so it will be tough to scratch .. lol .. .

the boat was in the water last tuesday . i was all alone and had a bit of trouble to launch it with 1 hand .. but it went ok . since i used a low pitch prop , i just wanted to run a couple of laps and see how she steers and runs .. speed was not important now .. it was like running a catamaran .. she steers perfect and very direct .. (it must be that great Virginia turnFin ) she runs high and dry and even with this small prop the speed was pretty ok .. i think i can reach somehere over 70 mph when i got her adjusted all right .. may be even more but i am a shy person .. ..NOT .. .lol . .

hope for running pics soon .

Jeroen

just came back from another test run today ..

after a few small errors we managed to get the boat running and keep on running .. with all different props the boat stees perfect .. its accelerated good and there is no los in the turns .. i would even say its faster in the turns . but the speed needs to go up a little bit .. best we could do totday was 68 mph and a average speed of 65 mph in oval race setup ..with a 2716 /3 blade .. handles like on rails .. i took a friend with me to launch te rigger and he made some pics . they are not razor sharp but i can see whats wrong with the setup .

what i didnt see while it was running is waht i could see in the pics .. the tail of the boat is running too wet .. the rear sponsons are having a hard time to keep the tail up .. it even looks like its draging trough the water i think i have to find a solution for that first , than the speed will go up i think ..

the drive is level with the sponsons now , i might have to lower the strutt and try again .i also have to find out how much weight there is on the prop . i just have to find a way how to do that . and than figure out what is good and whats not . and than i have to find out what prop to use .. lift ore no lift .. .

conclusion . the boat is runnig good .. it stil in the race to be a winner but i have to find the better setup ..

please check the pics and you might find a solution . .

thanx Jeroen

rr1.jpg

rr2.jpg

scretched my head and thought about the rigger setup in general and that made me reach for some old school articles from good old John finch .. followed his instruction in one of his boaks and made a rigger setup table ..

start messuring the setup i was running last sunday ( i had a "just-put-it-in-the-midle-and-we-will-see" setup ) and found out the strutt was 1 mm above the rear sponsons . the AOA of the front sponsons was 4 degrees ...

so changed that to a new setup .. now the drive is 2 mm Under the sponsons and the AOA of the front sponsons is 3 degrees ..

will test run soon and see if thats will do even better .. thanx John !

Jeroen

2 nd testrun was here. . the boat run great with the new setup .. top speed was a bit higher ans she was running dry . we ended up with 73 mph . but we need to change our spot and find a place along the side of the water , the motor keeps acceleration and i think there is more speed to find ,

here is a video .. enjoy !

video Twister

For those who find the gas riggers interesting .. i did run the twister again last monday with a shorter pipe and some small setup changes , and after 1 hour testing i ended up with 82.5 mph , still easy turning and it was the first time for me to brake the 75 and 80 mph ! i must say i am addicted now ! that speed is amazing and i like every second of it .. !

Jeroen !

Back