Twin OB set up Help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanReinertsen

I just purchased a hull from Barnstormer Boats

Mvc-015s.jpg

That's just a mold pick. I got the finished hull in black.

I'm very excited. I WANT to rig it with twin OB motors. It's 41" long and 17" wide.

My main question is what size motors do I choose?

I have an option of going with 3.5cc or 7.5cc ob's

Or

I could go to the traditional set up with an inboard. (I rather go with OB)

I want speed. :D

Also, where do you guys go to buy you parts? I'm very new to the nitro scene. :unsure:

If I'm not mistaken, that Areomarine cat. it will be wise to set up using an inboard motor, with nitro go for 90 size motor or gas 231 or 260 zen. That just me. Ezzy :)

Where do you buy your motors? Local or online?

112859[/snapback]

Hi, guess I was wrong on the hull, for gas I get em locally here cost alot cheaper where I'm from. On Nitro depending on motor size and application some I'm able to get here form here, OB larger than 3.5 size have to go online. OB OS motors are really easy to get here. Ezzy :)

I once set up a Dumas Skater cat hull with a K&B 67 OB. It ran pretty well - not like an inboard version, but decently.

If you really want to go with an OB, I'd recommend going with a single 67/82 K&B.

But hey, if you're set on "Doubling Your Fun(and/or frustration)" stick two OBs on it.

JD

DanReinertsen said:
ez jeloni said:
If I'm not mistaken, that Areomarine cat. it will be wise to set up using an inboard motor, with nitro go for 90 size motor or gas 231 or 260 zen. That just me. Ezzy :)
112857[/snapback]

http://www.barnstormerboats.com/index.php?...&products_id=55

112859[/snapback]

Hi Dan, welcome aboard. If you are new to nitro, i would run a single engine. Follow what the maker of the hull says to use, for engine size, and hardware. Have you joined a boat club? You will find help from members of a boat club, very important. You can also see how others are rigging their boats, and what equipment works. I am sure some boaters from your area, can help find a place to buy a motor. Have fun with your new boat. Richard D.

Richard Dahlheimer said:
Hi Dan, welcome aboard. If you are new to nitro, i would run a single engine. Follow what the maker of the hull says to use, for engine size, and hardware. Have you joined a boat club? You will find help from members of a boat club, very important. You can also see how others are rigging their boats, and what equipment works. I am sure some boaters from your area, can help find a place to buy a motor. Have fun with your new boat.          Richard D.
112864[/snapback]

Thanks warm welcome and all of the replies!

I will do a few searches tomorrow on a few local clubs, as of yet I have no clue.

It sounds like I should go with in-boards. :unsure:

Hi Dan

I ran a Dumas Skater with a .67 outboard for a couple of years.Motor had a magic muffler on it with a different head button set at .20 thou. Very touchy in the corners liked too spin out if you tried too take lane one at full throttle.Good luck with your project.

Richie R :rolleyes:

Richard Dahlheimer said:
DanReinertsen said:
ez jeloni said:
112857[/snapback]

http://www.barnstormerboats.com/index.php?...&products_id=55

112859[/snapback]

Hi Dan, welcome aboard. If you are new to nitro, i would run a single engine. Follow what the maker of the hull says to use, for engine size, and hardware. Have you joined a boat club? You will find help from members of a boat club, very important. You can also see how others are rigging their boats, and what equipment works. I am sure some boaters from your area, can help find a place to buy a motor. Have fun with your new boat. Richard D.

112864[/snapback]

ez jeloni said:
HI! Dan, Have you decided yet? Good Luck with your choice.  Have fun. Keep us posted. Ezzy :)
113229[/snapback]

Not yet, I'm still contiplating.

The boat is almost finished, I need to hurry!

If anyone has anymore ideas let me know! I want speed!

DanReinertsen said:
ez jeloni said:
HI! Dan, Have you decided yet? Good Luck with your choice.  Have fun. Keep us posted. Ezzy :)
113229[/snapback]

Not yet, I'm still contiplating.

The boat is almost finished, I need to hurry!

If anyone has anymore ideas let me know! I want speed!

113230[/snapback]

Inboard setup = SPEED (Awesomely Fast) and awhole lot easier to set up. Depending on your hardware selection as well as props choice you'll get better control handling in turns. That is just me. All the best. Keep us posted. :)

Hey Guys,

Check this boat out on ebay. This is exactly what I want to do.

Twin Cat

Question though, how fast do you guys think this think moves? 40 - 50?

Also, I see he has 2 different stearing servos running the motors. How does he sync them together? (im a newb to this)

These cats were designed for inboard engines. If you are looking at getting top speed out of this boat then an inboard engine is the way to go.

Also twin engines are usually 4 times the hassles!!!!

That boat probably could do with either an .80 to 1.00 nitro engine or a G231 Zenoah.... The Zenoah is the cheaper of the options in stock form.

But if twin otboards are your thing go for it!!!!

Back