turtle removal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzy dean

whats the best way to remove them? within city limits. we run behind a restaurant.

thanks

tim

whats the best way to remove them? within city limits. we run behind a restaurant.
thanks

tim
Go to your local outfitter store and get a trap. This should be legal but check your local DNR laws and make sure that you dont have to have a hunting or trapping license.

go and buy a length of 4inch pvc pipe and four 90degree fittings, cut the pipe 5foot long and then glue the fitting to the pipe to make a square box, then buy some fencing (chicken wire) and place around under the pvc box to look like a net, then get a 1 x 6 treated board about ten foot long, then cut it 5 ft long or longer and place it on top of the pvc box in the middle , then cut the other piece of 1x6 about 2 or 3 foot long and place one part in the water and the other part on top of the 5 ft long 1x6, the turtles will climb on the board to dry off, and when they jump off the board they should jump inside the box , all you have to do is use a scoop net to get them out of the box, make sure you place the trap in the middle of the pond so no one will mess with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys, i now have two ways to go. i just wanted to relocate them, not destroy them. to kill them would easy!! .22 haha.

thanks

tim

thanks guys, i now have two ways to go. i just wanted to relocate them, not destroy them. to kill them would easy!! .22 haha.
thanks

tim
I used to catch them on a rod and reel using crappie minnows then take them to a big lake and let them go and the kids loved it btw med. bobber and hook about 6" from the bobber

Gavin

If you relocate them, the'll be back. I once caught a 15lb alligator snapping turtle heading across my pasture to the 1/2 acre pond on my farm. I couldn't believe it. Relocated him to the creek about 1/2 mile away over a ridge. 1 week later he was back. The second time he was permanently relocated to that big pond in the sky.

At my inlaws pond, we trapped them, and drowned them in the trap, I once shot about 30 turtles in their 1 acre pond over a weekend.

If you relocate them, the'll be back. I once caught a 15lb alligator snapping turtle heading across my pasture to the 1/2 acre pond on my farm. I couldn't believe it. Relocated him to the creek about 1/2 mile away over a ridge. 1 week later he was back. The second time he was permanently relocated to that big pond in the sky.
At my inlaws pond, we trapped them, and drowned them in the trap, I once shot about 30 turtles in a 1 acre pond over a weekend.
these turtles were going to have a heck of a time getting back because their new home was about 15 miles away they would end up road kill first intersate and city traffic :blink: :lol: :lol:

yea thats about how far i plan to move them, right into the lady next doors pond!! she'll be alright. then the beavers will have friends.

tim

yea thats about how far i plan to move them, right into the lady next doors pond!! she'll be alright. then the beavers will have friends.
tim
just watch out beavers are mean :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gavin

Cut a slot in the side of a 55 gallon drum that is big enough for them to fall through. Float the barrel low enough for them to climb up to sun themselves only to fall through the slot. Check it often to keep them alive.

At my inlaws pond, we trapped them, and drowned them in the trap, I once shot about 30 turtles in their 1 acre pond over a weekend.
alligator snapers make for good mulligan stew ;)

Cut a slot in the side of a 55 gallon drum that is big enough for them to fall through. Float the barrel low enough for them to climb up to sun themselves only to fall through the slot. Check it often to keep them alive.
Ingenious-

Then take then to the restaurant mentioned and sell em - New weekly special- :unsure:

Ingenious-

Then take then to the restaurant mentioned and sell em - New weekly special- :unsure:
but cleaning them is a pain my grandpa makes a good turtle stew and wount do it because of the time it took to clean them :(

Back