Turnfin material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Bryant

Hi Guys

What is the best material to make a turnfin out of, Stainless, Titanium, Aluminium

Cheers

Steve

stainless is heavy.. titanium is very hard to work with. i use 7075-t6 alum.. i know dick tyndal uses i believe 2024.

if i had it my may.. .030 spring steel. if i knew how to bend it without cracking or breaking

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the size of boat you plan on putting it on. We have made carbon fins which work great on 20's and 40's. Our 60 boats 7075 works great. On our Twin-90 SG we made one out of spring steel - that has to be the absolutely strongest fin we have ever used - but it is a bit heavy and once sharpened it is like a knife - you have to be very careful with it...

Hi Guys

What is the best material to make a turnfin out of, Stainless, Titanium, Aluminium

Cheers

Steve

Steven,

We use titanium for ours, it is tough to work with if you

are not set up for that material though.

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund

I should of said this is for twin 45 rigger and also a twin electric running on 16s (8s each motor), would 7075-t6 alum be strong enough for heat racing??

Metalurugy is not rocket sicence. The least difficult is Aluminum T-3 if it needs bending(regardless of alloy). Stainless steel is good if you know how and have patients. Titanium is not impossiable to work with. A straight carbon fibre fin set at a 15 degree angle has worked well also- but if you hit anything it will chip- not bend.

I should of said this is for twin 45 rigger and also a twin electric running on 16s (8s each motor), would 7075-t6 alum be strong enough for heat racing??
Depends how thick you build it, but 7075 is pretty strong stuff. I don't run any twins so I'm not sure what most people are doing, but here is some data on titanium and 7075-T6 you might be interested in looking at.

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=4f19a42be94546b686bbf43f79c51b7d

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=66a15d609a3f4c829cb6ad08f0dafc01

Titanium makes a great fin. .050 thick is not bad to work with. but you only have one chance to bend it. If you go to far it may break if you try to bend it back.

Also you need to use a cut off wheel in a die grinder to cut it. then a silicon carbide grinding wheel in your bench grinder to finish it. It will eat up the wheel fast.

Then you have to drill it at a real slow speed and use thread taping fluid. push hard and go slooooow.

Besides that its a snap to work with.

It bends like spring steel and snaps right back acts like a shock in the turns. I put a 1/8 alum backer on mine because I thought it bent to much . But the boat acted funny and hard to control with the backer on it.

That was just what I have found works best for me.

Mark how did that fin work you guys try it yet?

David

David,

It is winter here now. Time for building and taking care of maintenance.

Thanks,

Mark

I have used both 2024 and 7075 aluminum with good results. If you plan on making any bends be sure and keep the angle low to avoid cracking the material.

One of trick to drill titanium. I dril pilot hole with center dril bit. Next dril is eazy! Boris

Back