Turn fin material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would stay away from stainless steel. It is too heavy, hard to bend and shape and no advantages over a good aluminum. I have used 2024 T3 bare aluminum for turn fins for more than 25 years. 6061 bends too easily and 7075 is a bit too hard ( and harder to bend and shape ). Usually you can find small sheets of aluminum on eBay at reasonable prices instead of buying 4'X 8' sheets locally. Hope this helps you out.

Dick Tyndall

Virginia Craftsman, Inc.

Best Titanium steel sheet light weight and three time strong than aluminum but hardy find and very expensive Reason Army use knife etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale,

I too agree with Mr. Tyndall. SS is WAAAYYY to heavy. 2024-T3 or 7075-T6. I have made some out of thin 6AL-4V Titanium for my Twins and Single F/X Hydros.

Buck

Yeah that TI is fun to work with. Try bending some .090. That was fun for a project I was working one. I have been building fins out of 7075 lately. Little more difficult to work with than the 2024. Stay away from stainless. It is jsut too heavy.

Mike

Dale,

I too agree with Mr. Tyndall. SS is WAAAYYY to heavy. 2024-T3 or 7075-T6. I have made some out of thin 6AL-4V Titanium for my Twins and Single F/X Hydros.

Buck
Buck where did you get 6AL-4V titanium? can you build turn fin for my Jagaur 111 twin? how much? let me know thanks Allan

Latest posts

Back