Tupperware: the perfect radio box?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfluus

Just wanted to get your guy's opinion on something...My radio box was one of those old wood types that is pretty heavy and not exactly watertight. So, I decided that it needed replacing. But, instead of paying $20+ for a fiberglass box, I was thinking that a Tupperware container would be perfect--seeing as it already has a watertight sea and nice lid. The other bonus, it’s cheap! Do you think my new box will die from engine heat...or what? By the way, this is going in a 55 inch scarab with a large gas engine.

The problem with Tupperware is that it flexes. That makes to harder to solidly mount your servos in the box. Build one out of lite ply then wipe it down with epoxy to waterproof it.

Some of the Gas boaters are doing away with their radio boxes altogether. They are using Aeroplate or Corrosion X on their servos and recievers then mounting the servos right onto the engine rails. Some are putting the recievers and battery packs in a small box though for extra protection.

I just tried to epoxy some servo mounts, and it turns out that epoxy doesn't work too well on Tupperware :(

So, where can I find Aeroplate or Corrosion X? Also, are these gas boaters just spraying the servo down with this stuff or what?

Tupperware dont hold up, even if you screw the servo mounts down. I friend of mine, had the very same idea and found one to fit perfectly in the teamstrike and first flip it cracked in half with the shock of the flip.

I do use a small one in my tunnel, but thats for receiver and battery pack only.

aeroplate can be found at www. aerotrend. com.

its good ****, I have my servos open in the tunnel.

NT

Tupperware for radio box's is not a good idea. Put one out in the sun for a little why'll and let it heat up some and then put it in water and you will find that the vacume from the temp. change will suck water in through seal. Scott

I've seen guys use Tupperware boxes with good luck, my mistake was using the clear type... (not shatterproof :- )

It's a waste of time. Take your boat out on a hot summer day and then fire your motor. The box will get soggy and soft and then will suck water in. Only way to really mount servos in it is scuff it real good and get heavy duty double-sided tape. Even that pops off after a while.

Do like Ron said and make one out of thin ply w/CA and seal it. You'll be fine.

Back