tried to build a light weight tub... and failed :(

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This tub is so skinny the carb arm goes outside of the tub! Going to have to make a different arm.

New tub in similar state of construction....120kg! That's better. 1/8 light ply tub sides.1.5" high tub sides. 2" wide inside width.1/32 ply top and bottom.
120KG? I think you mean 120Grams?
Tom why dont you try making your sides with 1/16 ply? my new .12 rigger weights at.85 thats without motor or any hardwear in it. with motor and hardwear its at 2.15..ZIPPKIT IS SUBPOSE TO COME OUT WITH THIS LIGHTWEIGHT VERSION IN SPRING..I didnt want to wait that long ,so we built it our selfs..used the kit parts as template..

1/16 is not enough to glue to..... add corner braces.... then you just lost the weight savings...i'd bet 1/8 light ply is lighter.

1/16 is not enough to glue to..... add corner braces.... then you just lost the weight savings...i'd bet 1/8 light ply is lighter.
not when you add the 1/4 balsa tri stock that zippkit uses,and doing it acording to there instrutions.and I bet you, doing it with 1/16 will be lighter then your 1/8..IF you want to a step further,then do it with 1/64 ply,but theres a trick.. This is what DAN KRAMER talked TO MY JOE ABOUT.. Epoxy one side of the 1/64 and plus tisue thin fiberglass cloth,then put them between two pices of glass and add weight to it to help sqeeze access epoxy out of the fiberglass cloth and ply.After it drys. Then cut out your parts..SAID It should be stronger and lighter... JOE Is going to try this on his twin.12 build. and there a guy on RCU using NORMEX on his rigger..Maybe built the tub sides and sponson sides with it.. theres RCU thread on the .12 .His post #1564 and pics are on there..Its strong and very lightweight..That stuff is used on airplane we fly on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, Here is where i'm at. All the basic wood building is complete. Everything is in the radio box but not mounted. Still need turnfin, flexshaft, seal/paint, tank, header/pipe/mount, cowl, to glue in the tubes. 2 lbs 2.2oz. so i'm thinking 3 lbs is possible. This is my FFMOD jae .21. It sure looks big!

Ok so attaching the sponsons... here is what i'm thinking. I have 1/4" flex shaft savers, my tubes are the solid 1/4" cf rod..... now i'm using a composite tube through the tub and sponsons. I can put the clamps directly on the cf tube outside of the sponson and then tape the other side.... Or I will have to drill out the clamp bigger. What would you do?

IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

Hello Tom, if you could have aluminum tubes made up for the sponsons, i feel would be a better plan. The advantage would be incase of a crash or buoy hit, it will be easier to repair. Heat the aluminum tube with a torch, and drive it out. The sponson tubes (aluminum) could be one piece with a shoulder on one end, that you would push in from the outside of the sponson. The shoulder would be up against the outside edge of the sponson, and couldnt pull through. 4-40 socket head screws and nylock nuts could be used to attatch sponsons to boom tubes. Clamping collars could be used against the tub sides, to hold the boom tubes. I can tell you that being able to drive the aluminum sponson tubes out of the sponsons, will be easier than trying to drill out broken fiberglass/carbon tubes, incase of a misshap. Your build looks great, Tom. I like the motor mount. :) Richard D

Back