tried to build a light weight tub... and failed :(

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,

Here's one for you:

For foamcored sponsons, only use ply on the inside where the stress occurs... use Monokote for the outer sides - wont even require a sealer.

For the tub, you could probably get away with Monkote sides where the radio box is (just leave a framework of ply to attach to. Could probably use the stuff in other non-strength spots as well. But in in a WOT impact, nothing left to recover!
Pleez ...now you have gone too far ...MONOKOTE ????!!!!!! We race boats ...boats get wet ...boats hit things .....boats crash etc . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Friends, here is a picture of my latest (just finished it yesterday) .21 Texan. This photo is of the complete boat ready to run.

Glenn

21 Texan weight.jpg

21 Texan side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn you are my idol! can I have a few more pictures? Are the sponsons just a T shape??

Glenn,

Thats a cool looking boat. Did you build it just for saw or for 2 lap trials also?

Larry
Thanks Larry. It is my new heat racing boat. It is a full regular size .21 hydro.

Glenn
I like it!!! :D what make that texas light to me is ,the sides are carbon fiber and its not like a regualer.21 tub. its streamlined at the rear=lest meterial=less weight... Glen arent the sponsons made out of solid BALSA??? If So that another weight saving idea.

Friends, here is a picture of my latest (just finished it yesterday) .21 Texan. This photo is of the complete boat ready to run.

Glenn
Now I see why your boats are so light....they are made from BUTTERFLIES. Sneaky... :rolleyes:

Glenn,

Thats a cool looking boat. Did you build it just for saw or for 2 lap trials also?

Larry
Thanks Larry. It is my new heat racing boat. It is a full regular size .21 hydro.

Glenn
I like it!!! :D what make that texas light to me is ,the sides are carbon fiber and its not like a regualer.21 tub. its streamlined at the rear=lest meterial=less weight... Glen arent the sponsons made out of solid BALSA??? If So that another weight saving idea.
Thanks MH! Yes the composite (these are carbon/honeycomb/carbon)sides are light, but the difference between these and "normal" materials would be small if built correctly. I just made the side on this boat "swoopy" because I was bored with the regular way. When I first started building in this shape for my SAW boats it was for weight considerations, but I'm not sure I saved much weight on this one. This boat is actually the exact same as the twin .12 (except for the different shape of the back). These sponsons are not balsa, they are a foam/fiberglass composite "backbone" with plywood bottoms. As a side note: I would generally not consider a solid balsa sponson as light. I build the "streamline" sponsons on my other boats with balsa because they are easy to make, cheap, etc, but I have to do a lot of cutting and sanding to remove as much weight as possible. It does work well, but you have to be careful with weight...foam/thin plywood is easier to get a nice light sponson.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Nice boat looks very nice.... I am interested in how well the boat will float. I know my boats rely on my sponsons for floating alot.... ya got no rears and basically ya got very little for flotation in the front.

Paul

Glen:

No turn fin, so it will come in right at 3 lbs?

Did you use the wire drive on this one? If so, how much weight do you think that saved?

Glenn
Now I see why your boats are so light....they are made from BUTTERFLIES. Sneaky... :rolleyes:
Charles, good eyes! Now you know the secret!

GQ
:blink: :huh: Jeez, you two! Gilligan is already telling people to build boats out of Monokote...Now he'll be suggesting butterfly wings. :lol:

Hi Glenn,

Nice boat looks very nice.... I am interested in how well the boat will float. I know my boats rely on my sponsons for floating alot.... ya got no rears and basically ya got very little for flotation in the front.

Paul
with the "t" shaped sponsons, the boat does not float very well.it will run and handle the same,but when dead the front sinks very low.it lets water in the engine more,and is low in the water,so it is hard to see

Glen:

No turn fin, so it will come in right at 3 lbs?

Did you use the wire drive on this one? If so, how much weight do you think that saved?
Marty, yes that is correct. With the turn fin and prop is is right at 3 lbs. I was kinda surprised as I did not really pay attention to the weight on this one. Infact I even put a layer of carbon veil in the tub for looks.

Yes this one has a wire drive in it (one of Charles' setups). I don't think it saved any weight...the wire does weigh less than a cable, but the double layer stuffing box (the inner layer holds the center bushing in place) add the weight savings back.

Glenn
cool ,cool boat Glenn. Are the sponsons upside down "t" shape? (for lack of a better word)
Ron, yes the sponsons are basically ski's.

Paul, the front of the boat floats high just like any other one, but the back does sit low in the water.

Steve, it still floats high enough that the motor/pipe is not in the water.

Bad think about sitting low is that it is harder to see, good thing about sitting low in the water is that other boats are likely to run "over" it instead of "through" it!

Glenn

Latest posts

Back