Transponder Timing system

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Fowler

Do any clubs use a transponder timing system similar to RC Car guys? If so what systems are there?

Thanks Phil

CMBC (Cape Model Boat Club) in Cape Town, South Africa, use the I-Laps infra-red transponder and sensor system along with a fully computerized race administration system which was written by our club chairman Gerald De Jager. Amongst many other functions it does voice announcement of milling time for each heat in each class, does the lap-scoring and timing, and voice announcement of results after each heat. I think we have one of the most advanced systems in the world.

Gerald's contact details are on our website under 'CONTACT US'.

http://www.cmbc.co.za/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say most do not due to the fact you have a guy behind you counting buoy cuts/hits, laps and spotting for you. Not to mention costs of the system.

The issue is the scoring loop.Its got to be above or below the water,neither have workied out. I dont know how many times it was torn down in Huntsville but was frustrating for the guys putting the race on. Modern transponders are more reliable,the other issue was the transponders were house ones and did not get to stay on the charger long enough to keep them happy.

I have competed at several events where a transponder system was used. In every instance there were troubles. From complete shutdowns to one boat not being counted properly, there were difficulties. Perhaps the systems have been dramatically improved today.

Alan Hobbs

New AMB systems are almost perfect very seldom have I seen one not score at a national or worlds event in Rc car racing

Ah, memories...
default_rolleyes.gif

Cars don't throw roostertails, fly up or dig under the track and take out the loop. The retrieve boat drivers can forget it is there too...saw it twice.

Cool for masters qualifying though.

Cars run 20 to 50 laps in a race. Lap times may be less than 10 seconds. I remember watching a clock and writing down every lap on a sheet. Little more difficult than scoring a boat. "Common man" 6 laps? Not hard to count. Transponders are about $100 and I don't think that cost would be welcomed by contestants. That and you would have to move one around or have one for every boat.

We had starts on camera for a while and guys argued there was a delay between the horn and the actual start on the camera frame. I can just hear it now how the wind was blowing the wire when someone went under it.

Mic

I will be using our system this year...have use it in the past no problems as of yet...fingers crossed...looking to merge the software with the software from that Lenny Blake uses at the nats. Software i have works but is really set up for motorcycles.

Latest posts

Back