Transom repair

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert jean

Newbie here!

calling all GURUS, experts, Masters. !!!HELP!!!! i recently acquired this hydro that has a major transom crack, that needs to be repaired and i am bit over my head as to where to start my first incision. based on the images attached, the transom section is hollow and needs to be reinforced. So i am thinking 3 to 5 ply plywood. But my question is where to cut to put in the ply and remount the transom and glass it back together as if nothing had happened..

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

That is a mess!!I would sand off the gel cote down to the fiberglass.Clean out the crack on the bottom sand it then use acetone clean it out .After that i would get some epoxy mix some cabasil and glue the bottom back on and clamp it.After it dries i would glass the inside one layer from bottom up the transom then a strip going from the sides to the transom.Sand the transom flat then mix some more of the epoxy with cabasil and make a bondo out of it apply a smooth cote to get it filled and flat, best to stand the hull on the tips to do this.block sand it flat after it dries then you could use some polyester spot putty the two part kind to finish it.After that i would sand the whole boat to repaint it .Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a mess i am indeed.

My original thoughts were to cut about one inch from the bottom end of the hull from rial to rail, ad some reinforcement, ply, close it up. I am not sure if its going to weaken the integrity of the bottom of the hull?, the other way i was thinking would be to cut out the transom section out leaving 1 inch from each rail side add whatever reinforcement i choose and reposition and epoxy that transom back in place, hoping to get some strength.

IMG_2161.jpg

Back