Transom mounted strut installation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Hydro

ok guy's,

I have attached a pic to help with my question.

how high should I mount the strut on the transom?

Should it be mounted hight enought that if I was to lower the strut for depth adjustment that the lowest point should not be lower than the sharpened leading edge (black line on picture).

Meening only the sharpened edge should pass the bottom of the transom.

Ok, here's a pic of the transom.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of hull is it?

If you post a picture of the transom of the boat with a ruler for reference, maybe some forum members can get you well into the ballpark.

Danny

Dan,

The question by Danny is correct. It does depend on the hull and type. If it is a rigger then there is only one place to put it and that is centered on the transom. A catarmaran has more transom height. A sport 40 much less. You must have enough adjustment room vertically (up & down) to make sure that you have the depth right from the drive line.

Really need more information but centered on the transom is a good rule of thumb.

John

Your right, sorry boys for my lack of info.

I will be adding more pics at lunch, the hull is the Aeromarine Hydro 21.

ok guy's,
I have attached a pic to help with my question.

how high should I mount the strut on the transom?

Should it be mounted hight enought that if I was to lower the strut for depth adjustment that the lowest point should not be lower than the sharpened leading edge (black line on picture).

Meening only the sharpened edge should pass the bottom of the transom.

Ok, here's a pic of the transom.

Thanks.
Have added more pic

Thanks to Danny and John who have replied so far and asking for more info.

I have added another pic and the type of hull, so lets go guys, 175 views and no advice!!!!!!

Dan.

Thanks to Danny and John who have replied so far and asking for more info.I have added another pic and the type of hull, so lets go guys, 175 views and no advice!!!!!!

Dan.
Dan is the directions list a starting depth from the bottom then bolt the strut to the bracket at the midpoint & then measure twice & drill once.

ok guy's here's another pic, this one is from the blue print.

Aeromarine are using a thru hull strut, I am using a transom mounted strut.

the blue prints are 1/1 so the distance frome the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the strut is 1 3/16, do I want to use the same distance for a transom mounted strut or should I go with less?

Thanks you in advance for your advice.

Dan.

Sorry I don't know your answer, but I have learned that it takes time for the right answers to come. You are doing better than me you get an answer every 25.375 people, I get an answer every 26.674 people. But all is good, I know how it feels ya wanna finish doing what your trying to do and want some good advice that seams to take forever.

Hang in there .

Paul

the blue prints are 1/1 so the distance frome the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the strut is 1 3/16, do I want to use the same distance for a transom mounted strut or should I go with less?

Dan.
I would because you are going to make adjustments no matter what you use. It's just a starting point.

Dan.
I would because you are going to make adjustments no matter what you use. It's just a starting point.

I also concur. It is just a starting point and almost certain to end up at a different point when you are finished.

I also concur with the above. Start with those manufacturer's recommendations that you showed us even though you're using a transom mounted strut. You'll be making adjustments to fine tune your combination anyway.

thanks guy's I really appreciate all your help,

Just checking there could have been a difference, you know I don't want you to build the boat for me but my last two boats one was ARTR and the other an RTR, so this is my first putting everything together.

I like it but don't want to make a mistake and scrap a hull.

Will do as mentionned and go from there.

Dan.

Dan,

One more item. If the inside area of the transom does not have any plywood installed, put a 1/4" piece across the largest area that you can and seal it with several coats on all edges with epoxy. Not only strenghtens the transom but transfers the stress of the driveline across the entire real area that has the ply installed. Far better off using complete through bolts with lock nuts than the brass inserts, IMHO.

John

One hint gave me John Finch years ago is to use ShoeGoo or silicone glue on the mounting brackets This allows the load to be distributed across a wider area and prevents the transom from crushing.

Back