TRAILER

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like where you're going with this, John, but let me throw a couple minor upgrades on your last post.

Add "Vortex" fan units and at least one all weather cover to the roof vents. Using one Vortex fan and just cracking a second roof vent allows for a complete air change in my 26ft camp trailer in around 10 minutes. An all weather cover lets you keep a vent open, rain or shine, when sitting still or going down the freeway while leaving the roof vent open.

This is a suggestion for the vent cover:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/maxxair-ii-vent-cover-white/37732

There are two versions of the Vortex power fan listed below:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/vortex-replacement-vent-fan-upgrade/49448

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/vortex-ii-vent-fan-upgrade/59009

good one mark, also the little side scoops than will vent the trailer while you are driving down the road. just bought a proven industries tongue lock for the trailer, a little pricey but worth it

what about the HOT TUB

thanks guys

would like a trailer with out permanent fixtures

I could use it for what ever I can think of

bug out camping toy hauler what ever

hot tub

marty

Marty.. Mine has a fold down center shelf.. that way I can load up boats.. helis or what ever.. OR.. pivot then up and put in the Golf Cart.. Works great.

Grim

I don't think anyone mentioned manufactures?. my trailer is a carmate and was built in 1992. this trailer has held up very well because it was a quality trailer but not very light. you see a lot of trailers on ebay that state how thick are the frames and the construction . I realize we are hauling model boats and not 2 tons of cement block but I feel a quality trailer is going to last longer

well marty, 26 replys and a butt load of views!. what did you come up with?. spending 3 grand on a trailer an its not really what you want stinks. hopefully all these replys helped you in some way or it made you back into a corner and your head is still spinning around!. go to a big nationals race and walk around the pits and see what everyone else has for a setup. I would say that's a good way to go

yes i will be looking more into it

i just wanted some ideas of what to look for

an what to ask about

i feel i have a better understanding of what i might be getting into

THANK YOU ALL

marty

Mikes Talley's brother Ron Talley has been working on a older trailer that he was using for pylon racing a few years back. Nothing fancy, just a little single axle, square nose, 10 footer with leaf springs, drop down rear door and side door. We pulled it to Huntsville last week and didn't even know it was back there. The main reason for the trailer was the resent addition of some gas boats that Ronnie has built. We enjoy these boats but when you put a couple of gas boats in a large van and drive for hours even the slightest smell of gas gets to be a problem. It really isn't good for you.

The thing that really makes these little trailers seems like they aren't even back there is proper air pressure in the tires. The typical 32 pounds your Dad put in everything when you were a kid just don't cut it. When the tires are inflated to the recommended pressure, you will have to look in the mirror to make sure it's still back there.

I have recently found a trailer just like Ron's and will be getting it road ready. If you look around you can pick up these small trailers that just need a little TLC fairly reasonable.

-Carl

I picked up a used but very nice 6 x 12, Challenger enclosed trailer yesterday. It was only 20 miles from me and I hooked it up for only $700.00. If I just wanted to turn it, I could sell it just like it is, for three times that price today. These trailer deals are out there you just have to hunt for them. All this one needs is some fresh tires and a little cleaning up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree on tires making a difference. Had to replace the tires on my camp trailer back in January and found that what it had on it, from the factory, were garbage, at least for a 26 footer. It had two ply radials that required 55PSI to handle the weight of the trailer. It now has six ply radials that require 50PSI and, with the new tires, it's a much easier tow than it was with the lighter ones. That said, height and width of a trailer make a difference in how easy it is to tow said trailer. A larger trailer(or one pulled by a smaller tow vehicle) will catch more air and make the tow vehicle use more fuel than one that is more completely shielded by the tow vehicle itself. I found that my S-10 can pull my camp trailer without much problem, though it's limited on top speed by the parachute effect of the trailer. My Tahoe can pull the trailer much easier and faster due to the fact the Tahoe covers much more of the front of the trailer than the S-10.

Yea, I was not lucky enough to get a v-nose and the flat nose will cut down on gas mileage for sure but, I rarely travel more than 6 hours one way to race so maybe it won't be too bad. I was at Lowe's yesterday and just out of curiosity, on the way out of the parking lot I stopped and looked at a basic flat bed, expanded metal 6x12 trailer with a drop down tail gate and border fence and they wanted $1,789.00 for it! THAT'S NUTS! By the time you add tax you would be throwing 2k at it.

I am not going to go crazy on reworking the inside of this trailer but I am going to build a sturdy work table on one side with a bright overhead light directly over my work space and a decent table mounted vice on one end. Once I have that in place everything else will be fine.

I hang all my boats in my shop and never sit them on a stand unless I am getting ready to crank them. I am thinking about hanging my boats in the trailer too. I have a simple way to keep them from swinging around and causing damage. It's not an original idea because Any and John Brown used to have a trailer that used this same method years ago. That trailer was cool. I looked through my old pictures but didn't see a picture of it anywhere. Talk about aerodynamic, that thing had them all beat. I have never seen another one like it since and it held more boats than you would think. It seems like it was about 36 inches wide.

-Carl

I have to agree on tires making a difference. Had to replace the tires on my camp trailer back in January and found that what it had on it, from the factory, were garbage, at least for a 26 footer. It had two ply radials that required 55PSI to handle the weight of the trailer. It now has six ply radials that require 50PSI and, with the new tires, it's a much easier tow than it was with the lighter ones. That said, height and width of a trailer make a difference in how easy it is to tow said trailer. A larger trailer(or one pulled by a smaller tow vehicle) will catch more air and make the tow vehicle use more fuel than one that is more completely shielded by the tow vehicle itself. I found that my S-10 can pull my camp trailer without much problem, though it's limited on top speed by the parachute effect of the trailer. My Tahoe can pull the trailer much easier and faster due to the fact the Tahoe covers much more of the front of the trailer than the S-10.

This is my 7x12 V nose tandem axle
175c813eed8f9bc969082cd00.jpg
c5f8d0dc3695c5a28b4de70698c6503c.jpg
c09b3f1852d97965d07dfbca3ee69983.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I was not lucky enough to get a v-nose and the flat nose will cut down on gas mileage for sure but, I rarely travel more than 6 hours one way to race so maybe it won't be too bad. I was at Lowe's yesterday and just out of curiosity, on the way out of the parking lot I stopped and looked at a basic flat bed, expanded metal 6x12 trailer with a drop down tail gate and border fence and they wanted $1,789.00 for it! THAT'S NUTS! By the time you add tax you would be throwing 2k at it.

I am not going to go crazy on reworking the inside of this trailer but I am going to build a sturdy work table on one side with a bright overhead light directly over my work space and a decent table mounted vice on one end. Once I have that in place everything else will be fine.

I hang all my boats in my shop and never sit them on a stand unless I am getting ready to crank them. I am thinking about hanging my boats in the trailer too. I have a simple way to keep them from swinging around and causing damage. It's not an original idea because Any and John Brown used to have a trailer that used this same method years ago. That trailer was cool. I looked through my old pictures but didn't see a picture of it anywhere. Talk about aerodynamic, that thing had them all beat. I have never seen another one like it since and it held more boats than you would think. It seems like it was about 36 inches wide.

-Carl

And the same trailer in Edmonton, AB Canada ........ $4600.00 plus tax at Lowes.

Latest posts

Back