Tough break for SMOKE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUNLBOTR

Looks like a tough road ahead for Tony Stewart.

Last night(monday) at Iowa Speedway, Tony Stewart was involved in a 4 car sprint car accident. Ambulance carted him away to the local hospital, where he underwent surgery to rebuild his right leg after the wreck left him with a right tibia/fibula fracture of the lower leg.

How does he tell the boss that one. :blink: That was exactly what Gibbs wouldn't put up with.

now to find a replacement for the stretch.

Maybe next year.

Isn't this the second crash for Tony in the last week or so? Someday maybe these drivers will learn not to moonlight during Nascar season.

While it does suck for his cup season. There is no way to keep a race car driver from racing. Period. When its in there blood like it is Smoke's, your not going to tell him that he cant race outside of his weekly shows with the cup series. It just wont happen.

I think Tony is bored with cup,so the rush of a sprint car WAS fillin the void

That sucks, the older he gets the more I like his style.

Ken, A racer is a racer is racer- given the chance and no one to tell him no, single and rich, he was gonna drive, wouldnt you B)

Andy

BUT.... When you end up in the "big show" Nascar sponsors are fortune 500 companies, investing multi-millions in the program, you are the return on their investment. Don't see Jimmy Johnson diving off golf carts anymore, Gordon was a dominant sprint car driver, watched him at Eastbay as a little kid kick ass in the pepsi sprint car.Poppa Hendrick says nonono. With Newman leaving, Danica just not cutting it,at Least Harvick can bring hopefully something to the SHR program. Now that Childress' grandkids are all grown up, they are the heir apparents to the RCR program, with Austin Dillon possibly bringing back the 3, and brother Ty. Might be time to look at someone like Kyle Larson. Papis is a awesome racer, and Boris Said too.That will fit the road race portion. Time to get an Aussie ringer, Jamie Whincup....guts and talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know many races left for MWR he has left but I would get Brian Vickers in the car every chance I could. He has been making the most of every opportunity he's had with strong finishes. Then when Smoke comes back there's no hard feelings.

Time to get an Aussie ringer, Jamie Whincup....guts and talent.
JW is very good with his and the teams sponsors. (I work for one of them). He's leading the touring car championship here at the moment so I doubt he'd make the move at this time of year, especially with Mt Panorama, Bathurst race not far away.

Jamies got what it takes, last year he seriously entertained the idea to follow Ambrose and jump the pond. He dominated at Circuit of the America's this year at Austin Tx, and admitted last year he was getting bored with the car, and the new chassis and combo Holden put out reined him back in. Vickers would be a great choice, possibly Kenny Wallace, his dirt buddy.Word is 4 months without touching a pedal. yeah, right... sawzall time, flashbacks of King Richard. 3 wrecks in as many weeks, on the heels of losing Leffler is his wake up call.

While it does suck for his cup season. There is no way to keep a race car driver from racing. Period. When its in there blood like it is Smoke's, your not going to tell him that he cant race outside of his weekly shows with the cup series. It just wont happen.
YEP! like em or not, he is a throwback......kinda got the AJ Foyt thing going.....its what he,s good at..its what he does.....he MIGHT even do it for **** near nothing.....thats how it used to be for most of em.....even football, baseball players and such...im glad i lived during that time, cause i aint very impressed with NOW!! :rolleyes: :huh: :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the sad thing is.. that track he is was at that he wrecked at is a JOKE.. rut infested dump.. i know i live close by.. he was not sure if he still is in the hospital in town hear.

i remember him saying along time ago that nascar is nothing but a bunch of trash can pushers.. but that is where the money is.. he still runs about 50 dirt shows a yr on top of cup racing..

plus he is promoting DIRT racing for eldora.

i would venture his sponsors might not be happy after this last little ordeal though

chris

Since sprint car design hasnt advanced in, well, ever, this might be a good time for the drawing board to become useful. Just like what Force did in the loss of Eric Medlin, build a safer car through what was learned. Ray Evernham talked briefly last night on the issue. With Tony purchasing Eldora, and the recognition Nascar has now given to dirt again after 43 years, I kinda see this as a pivotal time for the racing world to build a better mousetrap. Harvick was vocal, twitter read #notasprintcarfan...Now he has to concentrate on getting Newman in the chase, then save the sponsorship.

Back