Top Speed III

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lohring

The Top Speed III made its first contest showing with a big win at the NAMBA Nationals. Chris Whittrig easily out ran the Lynx and Leecraft tunnels for the win. The boat was clearly the fastest of the group and won all but one heat by large margins. A CMB outboard with engine and prop by Mark Grim helped, though the Lynx tunnels were also powered by Nova Rossi and similar engines. The boat easily handled the power and was exceptionally smooth at speed.

Lohring Miller

It was their second contest. Jerry Dunlap and Russ Willianson both ran them at the IMPBA internats. Maybe I was the only one to notice them.

Interesting, topspeed III huh? what are the changes from the TS2? any pics?

~James

The sponsons and rear half of the deck were different. Maybe Jerry or Russ will be nice enough to post some pictures. I was told October for a release date.

~James

Yeah it was a good running little boat. The same one Bird had at the tunnel champs the orange 20 that was so fast Ron could not drive it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lohring, Chris's boat ran very well but to say he was the absolute fastest and ran away with the show would not be the honest truth! Randy Premo's Lynx was running very strong and was in contention until he dnf'ed in the 4th round. My lynx in fact lead every heat it was in, one of which we finished, two of which we were taken out by a back marker while five feet from the line and the other at bouy 10 on the last lap. We were called over on one heat which was a very bad call, I stood all the way to the right of the drivers stand 10 feet right of the start line, my boat was not past where I was standing however they called me over when in fact I was 10 feet from being over. Yes the TS III looked very good but so did the Lynx's or maybe they were just so fast you missed them???

Tony you are dead wrong as usual the one I had in SC was a TS II and the one Chris ran was a TS III.

My lynx in fact lead every heat it was in, one of which we finished
Oh yeah, can I have my prop back please? :D There were several good running boats, some attrition, and I'm sure a few people didn't often have to show what they had. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few corrections. First, the prop was done by Mark Sholund (Props 4 U)...as was the prop Ron Byrd ran. :) Second, as Ron said, the boat that he ran at the Tunnel Championships was my first Top Speed 2 with the same engine/pipe/prop setup I ran at the Nationals. Third, Ron Byrd's Lynx ran great, and it should have...he was running our engine mount, I helped him with the setup, and Mark Grim did the engine. :p Ron did have a large dose of bad luck and maybe he didn't jump that start :unsure: though I was the first legal boat and trailed him by a good boat length. He did say he didn't know why I wasn't running him hard. :huh:

Is there a next generation Top Speed in the works? Well, there absolutely should be, just as I'm sure Carl is or will be working on the next generation Lynx. You cannot rest on your laurels. The boat that I ran had some significant design changes that several of us had been discussing as far back as last September. So you might want to say this was more a proof of concept than anything else. Seems that the concept was indeed proven.

I won't take anything away from the other people who ran in .21 Mod Tunnel, nor anybody else that ran in other classes that day. Good boats, good people, and fun racing! The contest directors were very time sensitive as they had an after day event lined up and we had to get through the day. That meant that some heats, including heats of A Mod Tunnel, were ran in absolute pouring rain. For that I've got to give my thanks to my top notch pit person who braved through the rain events not only to help me in my heats, but to run in her own A Mod heats and take my Stock OS Top Speed 2 to a 6th place finish...my 14 year old daughter Nicolle, who hadn't run boats for nearly two years and never in a class outside of .21 Rookie and Kids R Boaters, but was out visiting and came down to Ft. Lauderdale with her sister and me to run boats and catch up with a few of our District 19 friends. She did a great job, as did my 10 year old Daugher Megan in Kids R Boaters too and all the other kids, and I can't be more proud of her.

~James
image1.jpg

image2.jpg

You guys should bring some of your new Top Speed-10's to Jackson in October.

-Carl,

Chris,

Congrats on the win & tell Nicolle and Megan all of us out here in Dist 19 are just as proud as can be they did so well! SURE DO MISS YOU GUYS!!!!

Don :)

Looks nice...

How about the price? is the TS3 also ment to be a entry point boat like the TS2?

Looks nice...

How about the price? is the TS3 also ment to be a entry point boat like the TS2?
I don't think so Javier,, possibly a "entry point" racing boat,, and maybe even better :)

I saw one of the prototypes run, it's impressive ;)

The Top Speed prototypes raced this summer are concept models only. The TS2 will not be going away for a long time. Chris said it best, this is a concept model and different types of hull designs must be tested. As Carl and everybody else knows, you cannot sit back and not be thinking and testing new designs or you will get left behind.

No pricing or release date. I can say it will not be this year and possibly not even next year. It is just a concept of trying out different designs.

Thanks!

Rw

Congrats on tha win Chris ;) Nice drivin!

A little birdy told me of plans for a concept hull a while back, And I squeesed him for info almost till his head popped off and he wouldnt say much more than Russ just did :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice goin everyone, Sounds like your on tha right track,

Gene :D

They DO!.. O man.....

Im not sure you can see enough of the boat to even justify that thought....LOL

Trust me dude... with all dew respect to Carl... there is no way a boat is leaving our shop copying a lynx.. If we can not try to run (design) side by side with Carl (NOT COPY) then we better take up a different hobby.

Grimracer

Boat Designer for Aquacraft

Great looking boat guys.

The hull/sponsons look just like a Lynx!

Regards

Mark
Actually they look nothing like a Lynx, especially in the non trip area, leading edge of the deck, air dams, tunnel dimension, etc. Maybe you're seeing some shadows or reflections somewhere but the only common elements this boat has to a Lynx is the fact that it is a tunnel boat and carries some inherent design characteristics such as the fact it has a tunnel, a dead rise to the running surface, a non trip, a deck with a crown. Interesting observation though.

Back