Thunder Tiger slug making a strange buzzing sound

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden Bright

This is my old TT outboard setup on the vs1 hull running quite nice, still love my TT outboard and just wanted to share this video of it on the vs1 :D

Anybody got a eyeball radar Lol, i'm guessing maybe low 40's

Yeah Greg the old ts3 hull of mine went to tunnel heaven but with a little adjustment the ts3 cowl fits perfect and looks great....

I'm sure if I had access to a prop done by shoboat I could get more out of her, but i'm quite happy with the speed and current setup of the boat. I only like to run the tunnel on days when the water is suitable for the little hull to go balls out anyway. It's going into winter here and we get real nice calm conditions through the winter with clear skies, a cold day is like 50"F here Lol, no snow no ice just perfect nitro burning conditions :p

Looks really good Hayden, scooting along nicely! Keep up the good work.
Thanks David, I only wish there were some guys to run against up here, hopefully Dave kingston will pull his finger out sooner rather than later and get a tunnel back on the water :p

An x637 just sharpened and balance should work well on that motor
Greg I have a x642 on the boat in the video, same pitch as you have suggested mate. Yeah it's no novarossi but I think it goes quite well for a stock thunder tiger slug, it always puts a smile on my dial anyway ;)

Hayden what gear ratio do you have??? I couldnt get my original tt mod to turn more then a full x637. That tt of yours scoots pretty darn good!!!

Kroggs 1.04/1 buddy ;) Remember my engine is still stock timing and you got Alden mods for a big gain in RPM's. All I know is JW said the stock tt could pull a x642 and I guess this is proof.

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't a x637 and x642 yield the same performance both being x6 series octura props, only differing at where engine height needs to be set, higher for the bigger prop?

Hayden,

I would try an X-640, it should roll pretty good with one.

Just a touch deeper in the water for more efficiency.

Great tunnel propeller that not many use anymore.

Thanks For The Video,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
No an x642 has 67.2 mm of pitch 42 x 1.6

an x637 has 59.2 mm of pitch 37 x 1.6

Given the same drag and slippage at the same RPM the x642 will be lots faster

I would try getting the pipe shorter if your able to pull that much prop
Holy crap that is a big difference, it's been awhile since I've thought about props and forgot it's multiply 42 x 1.6 gets your pitch thanks Greg ;)

Hayden,

I would try an X-640, it should roll pretty good with one.

Just a touch deeper in the water for more efficiency.

Great tunnel propeller that not many use anymore.

Thanks For The Video,

Mark Sholund
Really appreciate your input Mark, and yes the x640 has crossed my mind a few times as prop i'd like to mess around with.

Tim as requested buddy, is there a way to upload pics guys without them showing up the top of the main page!! Just curious i'm sure nobody wants to see a dirty old tt Lol

That pipe should work real well (well it did on my TT's but they weren't stock). The pipe doesn't look to be too long, (if anything it's on the short end of the scale) and going by the vid it's not really transitioning on the pipe like it should. If you put a smaller diameter prop on it does it rev a lot harder / gear whine become more apparent? (Might need to richen up when you do it.) Trying to figure out if it's load holding back the rpm or something like the pipe being too short for the rest of the set-up. Whats the head clearance set at? Stock they are awful for head clearance.

I know the thought process that a bigger prop should = faster, but it's not always the case. More rpm with a smaller prop can net good gains with a good pipe transition. X640 @ 38mm with the ears removed was a favourite of mine and JW's, with more rpm than what yours is making (going by the vid that is, and video can be deceiving).

I'm certain there's gains to be made there if you wanted. The VS1 might get a bit flighty though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah me thinks I need to lengthen the pipe a smidgen, somewhere along the line I shortened it that's why it's coming off the pipe frequently when loaded. X640 reduced to 38 sounds like a good idea. I can only imagine the scream from the lower lol

Less prop and short pipe often equals more rpm, so try smaller prop before lengthening the pipe - it might just work. If not then lengthen.

If you haven't done it yet, dig out the pressed in aluminium head shim.

Hayden, I've pulled my finger out.... But boat is 2500k away. Got a few things in pipe line which will make appearance soon....

Will u be heading out this long weekend?

Dave

Hayden if you want me to Cut down an X640 to 38mm just shoot me a PM

Greg
Cheers Greg I'll pm you you for sure if I decide to mess with the current setup mate...

Less prop and short pipe often equals more rpm, so try smaller prop before lengthening the pipe - it might just work. If not then lengthen.

If you haven't done it yet, dig out the pressed in aluminium head shim.
I hear what you're saying Tim about a smaller prop and gaining rpm, but seeing this engine is stock timing it's going to rpm a lot less than your mod tt's would've achieved, for now I'm going to see how a small increase in pipe length helps.

Now I think about it I do have a 38mm 1.6p cnc prop, I can see what rpms I'll squeeze out of her with that sucker on :p

Hayden, I've pulled my finger out.... But boat is 2500k away. Got a few things in pipe line which will make appearance soon....

Will u be heading out this long weekend?

Dave
Just trying to get your attention Dave :D I succeeded ha ha, as for this weekend I may be up for a run on Sunday mate, it's not a club day so it will be quiet out there.

Always watching the threads mate but only chime in every now and then.

This Sunday is possible but next Sunday its on for sure.

Dave

Well I got the chance to run the TT powered vs1 up against Dave's .21 novarossi rigger recently, took both of us by surprise when the TT matched the nova powered rigger for speed down the straights and couldn't pull away at Any stage...Gotta be happy about them apples

Back