THOR - FLAT BUILD / CORELOCK

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is another nitro build shown. The frame and split decking is designed to span across the rear quarter of the boat uninterrupted to provide as much strength as possible to the rear frame of the boat. This is another built-in strength feature of this boat. This piece has very little overhang and once the glue cures, it dresses down quickly. It doesn't take long to get to this point and you are ready to flip the model and build the sponsons.

THOR 138.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The risers of the jig doubles as a platform to nest the boat upside down on while building the sponsons. The dimensions for the jig are given in the instructions with the model. It is simple but works very well. I didn't go into the construction of the bottom of the jig earlier but the aluminum angles are a must to keep the jig ridged during the construction of this boat. All of the supplies used can be gotten at Lowes or Home Depot.

THOR 139.JPG

Aluminum angles are used as jigs to hold the sponson former in place while the glue cures.It helps to use them both so that weight can be applied in the center. Notice that the weight is mostly over the former that is being glued. The weights used in this picture are about 3-12 to 4 pounds total.

The hard chine is dry fit into position and glued into place. This is an earlier version of the boat in this picture. The new version has the center stringer that runs all the way up to the front frame.

Once the frame is dressed and ready for the decking, the inside is sealed and the foam is fit. Then the non-trip and bottom decking is applied.

The gunnel rail in this model not only has a horizontal piece of plywood sandwiched inside that supports the gunnel horizontally but the gunnel of the boat also carries a 1/4 x 1/8 inch rail laminated on top and bottom of the core plate. This makes the perimeter of the Thor super impact resistant.

This kit is not like any other currently available. This kit builds 3.5cc Sport / Stock, Modified 3.5cc, FE Spec / Limited or Mod -VP. I will be posting more about the Thor as I have time to. The production files are finished and have been sent to the laser. If you have any questions about this build or if you are interested in building this model, contact me at [email protected] Please provide your phone number, email address and mailing address.

THOR 140.JPG

THOR 141.JPG

Very Nice Carl, I'm looking forward to putting one together!

Santa's gonna have a sleigh full of THOR kits for Christmas!!!!... :)

Have you changed anything from your Lynx design for this THOR boat? (the one most people are running)

Yes. I have made some slight changes. I put something in this design that were in another model that we raced for years. I gave the boat to Mike Talley and he ran it for about five or six years. Mike Rushing actually hated the boat and probably had nightmares about it because Talley wore Rushings modified out on numerous occasions with it. Talley was running a stock O/S engine on it.

Rushing named it "Twiggy" because it was a wood prototype. The actual name of the model is the "X-3". It is a beautiful all natural finish boat with a solid black cowling. It had a striking look to it. Unlike any other model.

It held one of the 3.5cc 2-lap world records we set in Huntsville and is a blast to drive. It had a trait that no other boat (including the Lynx) had. After watching that boat run for years, I decided that if I ever designed another model in the 3.5cc class, that I would include the unique design feature of the X-3 into it.

-Carl

Was that prototype the boat you broke a pickle fork off at the 07 WTC in practise?

If so, it looked good back then for sure.

I still clearly remember the BANG on dusk that day, ten you having it fixed (almost like new the next day) :)

Yea that was the wood proto of the Taboo.

Man...that took me by surprise right there. I waited until everybody had started putting up there stuff and I told Rushing I was going to make a couple of hot laps and just see that everything was on. The sun was almost down and the water was kind of silver and that pole in the middle of the pond was silver...I laid into the throttle and was just going to cut across the pond and bring it in.

I lacked about one inch of hitting that pole dead center. I thought I had hit a turtle. I knew by the WHOP that it wasn't going to be good. It was depressing for sure. A custom stick built model... I think I used a whole bottle of super glue putting that back together that night. It ran fair but that boat never got back to where I had it running before the pole monster took a bite out of it.

The X-3 was there that weekend. Mike Talley was driving it in sport 3.5.

-Carl

Yes. I have made some slight changes. I put something in this design that were in another model that we raced for years. I gave the boat to Mike Talley and he ran it for about five or six years. Mike Rushing actually hated the boat and probably had nightmares about it because Talley wore Rushings modified out on numerous occasions with it. Talley was running a stock O/S engine on it.

Rushing named it "Twiggy" because it was a wood prototype. The actual name of the model is the "X-3". It is a beautiful all natural finish boat with a solid black cowling. It had a striking look to it. Unlike any other model.

It held one of the 3.5cc 2-lap world records we set in Huntsville and is a blast to drive. It had a trait that no other boat (including the Lynx) had. After watching that boat run for years, I decided that if I ever designed another model in the 3.5cc class, that I would include the unique design feature of the X-3 into it.

-Carl
Twiggy???? I love it!!! Sounds just like something Rushing would say!!!...lol.

I looked through my project pictures and found a few pictures of my old straight line Splitzer. It was a wee bit over powered but it was fun to run. I think David Hall ran his custom made 12 geared outboard on his.

-Carl
Hello Carl,

i have to see this photo of this Splitzer Tunnel. Please, i'm great interesting in this Tunnel, you can let me know more informations about this boat ? You have others photos ?

Thanks and Best Regards

Giuseppe - Italy

Hello Gluseppe,

I do have other pictures of the Splitzer. The one on this post is a little too small for a 3.5cc engine. It would need to be scaled up some in order to pick up some stability. Also the C/G and lift point were way off on the original concept model. I may pull up the old Splitzer file and play with it again but the Thor project is front and center at this point around here.

-Carl

I just got off the phone with the supplier that is building the carbon fiber cowling for this model. These cowlings will come with a white exterior, the nose plate installed and will be trimmed to fit the boat.

-Carl

Back