The NEW NEW VS1 FE Tunnel hull build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New camera, hope this works. First vid was with drive accidentally too far up; wheelie city. Second vid with less drive angle.

Didn't upload !! Will try something else :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Properchopper. How are ya man?

VS1 looks very good with the UL1. Just put the UL1 on my Crawford. First time out today. Not bad but not where I think it should be.

Ran a X642. After 1 mile got 125 deg motor and ESC. 160 on bats! After getting home I determined my lower unit was a bit low. I think I was drowning my prop.

What are you getting after 1 mile? What prop are you running in the video. Come on - share your secrets!

Doug

Hey Doug ! Hard to believe it's been 3 months since we sat around the pool in Newland's back yard ! Much respect for what you're doing for Drobie's legacy.

Here's the deal : Motor not over 115; batt's [ Zippy 30C 4S 5000 ] 95 deg; SC [ the Hydra 120 I won in AZ {!} not over 110 after 2 1/2 min's. Prop's the Grimracer 42/55 de-tunged & slightly cupped [ per Brian]. Listen to my videos; the prop's

running very high, almost too high; keeps the rpm's up and doesn't load the electronics. You're on the right track; raise the drive & unload some. BTW, wazz a Crawford ? :huh:

Hey Doug ! Hard to believe it's been 3 months since we sat around the pool in Newland's back yard ! Much respect for what you're doing for Drobie's legacy.
Here's the deal : Motor not over 115; batt's [ Zippy 30C 4S 5000 ] 95 deg; SC [ the Hydra 120 I won in AZ {!} not over 110 after 2 1/2 min's. Prop's the Grimracer 42/55 de-tunged & slightly cupped [ per Brian]. Listen to my videos; the prop's

running very high, almost too high; keeps the rpm's up and doesn't load the electronics. You're on the right track; raise the drive & unload some. BTW, wazz a Crawford ? :huh:
Tony, that VS looks fster then the one you had b4, faaaaaaast man!

I need to make time to enjoy Legg, pretty soon it'll be "weed stew" and as electrifiers will not be able to run that well.

Anyway, congrats on the nice running hull.

PS: How is the Hydro?

Proper, Looks awesome man! How high is the center of your prop hub above the sponsons? I am going to give mine a try higher, but I dont wanna go to high. I think I am at about 1/8" right now. Looks good man. I got out on the pond yesterday and burned threw 7 lipo packs! haha. Water was calm as can be!

Tony

BTW, wazz a Crawford ?
Sorry. My Woodstuff Tunnel. Built by Mike Crawford. Same Tunnel I had in Arizona.

Thanks for the details. Helps me see if I am on track.

Doug

pretty soon it'll be "weed stew" and as electrifiers will not be able to run that well.
PS: How is the Hydro?
Funny you should mention that. Saturday I had the hydro blasting around the pond & then it stopped dead. Total nuclear annhialation of the 1515 1Y, burned to a crisp. Took out the Hydra 240 as well. No weeds on the prop when retrieved but who knows. They're starting to show up. This was probably an early warning/sacrifice to the " Weed Gods" to remind us what's coming - " What a bummer, what a bummer, and it happens every Summer-LOL" BTW , 2-lap next wknd at Legg, will try to beat my Drifter P-Offshore record with the DF/1521 1.5D. NN showed, got the 9XL in the Hydro till I get the other 1515 back from Neu. Lake closed 6/27 + 6/28. Mid week ? LMK.

T

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, here's the setting from the "non-wheelie" vid. I "think" [ not always a good thing for me] that the square, fat cross section of the angle drive lower unit parts the water stream to the prop a bunch, keeping it a little unloaded. The REK lower is more streamlined giving the prop more to chew on. Less load = less heat, but too much "unload" scrubs speed. Regardless, your setup runs great !

DSC01040.JPG

Mike, here's the setting from the "non-wheelie" vid. I "think" [ not always a good thing for me] that the square, fat cross section of the angle drive lower unit parts the water stream to the prop a bunch, keeping it a little unloaded. The REK lower is more streamlined giving the prop more to chew on. Less load = less heat, but too much "unload" scrubs speed. Regardless, your setup runs great !
I think mine is actually about the same height! I really need to get on modding the Grim prop. Its still un sharpened or cut!

! I really need to get on modding the Grim prop. Its still un sharpened or cut!

It'll make a difference for sure. Get it nice and sharp & balance, balance ! :D

Some pics of the Cowl building process...

Cowl001Large.jpg

Cowl002Large.jpg

Cowl003Large.jpg

Cowl004Large.jpg

Cowl005Large.jpg

Cowl008Large.jpg

Nice work ! The new design allows the "tall" portion of the electronics box to extend further forward - good thinking.

The funny thing, Is I originally designed this cowl to be on my custom 30" tunnel. I actually like it better on the VS1. Coming soon tho, an FE version of the below! Be on the lookout! haha

DSCF1600Large.jpg

DSCF1599Large.jpg

Back