The New Improved BL Speed Control Survey

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forresterace

Please click the link to this new survey on which brand of BL speed control you use. This survey will allow multiple choices.

See next post for link

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the results so far -

survey1.jpg

Here are the latest up-to-date results of the survey-

1. Please enter the brand(s) of Brushless Speed Contols that you use.

Response Percent Response Total

BK 22.7% 5

CASTLE 45.5% 10

AVEOX 13.6% 3

HACKER 50% 11

SCHULZE 31.8% 7

Other 27.3% 6

Total Respondents 22

(skipped this question) 0

forresterace said:
Certainly looks to me that Castle is making fast inroads on the BL esc market. :eek:
That makes sense in that their controllers are now said to be completely waterproof.

I wish some of those using them would take some time and leave some comments on them. Over the past couple of years much has been said about Schulze, Hacker, and BK but, little has been said about Castle. There was a little talk about some incapatability (in an earlier version) a year or two back, but little talk since then.

Let's hear those opinions!

I've been using the Castle Phoenix 80's since Ray Fuller had the first batch ready from Castle.

I've been tired of paying the enormous amounts of money for the Schulze controllers only to have them fry at the slightest misuse.

I now have 9 castle controllers and am completely satisfied with them. Not only do the 7 different programming parameters make them more flexible than the Schulze controllers but they are also close to half the cost of the old Schulze 105 controllers.

In addtion to cheaper cost and ease of programming, the service provided by Castle Creations is second to none. I've had at least 5 Schulze controllers sent back to Germany for repair. $80 for shipping plus whatever Schulze charged for the repair.

Castle usually repairs or replaces their controllers for little or no cost plus the turn around time is usually within 1 or 2 days since they're located in Kansas. At the extreme side, you can totally destroy your Castle controller and they will replace it for $50.00. Did I mention I really like their service?

As far as performance goes about the only element that I wish they had was water cooling (I have heard that this may be coming from them) I ran an 8 cell sport hydro class at the Batavia race this past summer with a Castle controller. In one particular heat at about the 3rd lap I felt I had the race won so I backed off to approx half throttle. The nature of esc's is that they will generate more heat when running at partial throttle than wide open. At the last turn before the finish line my boat stopped. After inspection, one of the leads on the Castle esc had came unsoldered. I resoldered the lead back on and it was good to go. I think if the controller had been water cooled this may not have happened. Adding water cooling would be an easy mod to perform yourself but a factory solution would be nice.

Some people have had some issues with arming the controllers upon startup. I'm using all Futuba gear (3PJS transmitter) and haven't had any of the arming problems that have been mentioned.

I have also ran these controllers in several P sport hydro hulls. My setups were Hacker motors - usually 7 or 8 XL's running 12 GP3300's or 12 2600's. I'm not using water cooling on the motor or controller and as long as I run wide open most of the time I haven't had any issues with the controller at this level of amp draw.

I hope this helps.

Dan Proulx

Thank you Dan. This also backs up what I have heard from others. I have also heard that they work fine on 18 cells.

Guest_Dan Proulx said:
I've been using the Castle Phoenix 80's since Ray Fuller had the first batch ready from Castle.
I've been tired of paying the enormous amounts of money for the Schulze controllers only to have them fry at the slightest misuse.

I now have 9 castle controllers and am completely satisfied with them. Not only do the 7 different programming parameters make them more flexible than the Schulze controllers but they are also close to half the cost of the old Schulze 105 controllers.

In addtion to cheaper cost and ease of programming, the service provided by Castle Creations is second to none. I've had at least 5 Schulze controllers sent back to Germany for repair. $80 for shipping plus whatever Schulze charged for the repair.

Castle usually repairs or replaces their controllers for little or no cost plus the turn around time is usually within 1 or 2 days since they're located in Kansas. At the extreme side, you can totally destroy your Castle controller and they will replace it for $50.00. Did I mention I really like their service?

As far as performance goes about the only element that I wish they had was water cooling (I have heard that this may be coming from them) I ran an 8 cell sport hydro class at the Batavia race this past summer with a Castle controller. In one particular heat at about the 3rd lap I felt I had the race won so I backed off to approx half throttle. The nature of esc's is that they will generate more heat when running at partial throttle than wide open. At the last turn before the finish line my boat stopped. After inspection, one of the leads on the Castle esc had came unsoldered. I resoldered the lead back on and it was good to go. I think if the controller had been water cooled this may not have happened. Adding water cooling would be an easy mod to perform yourself but a factory solution would be nice.

Some people have had some issues with arming the controllers upon startup. I'm using all Futuba gear (3PJS transmitter) and haven't had any of the arming problems that have been mentioned.

I have also ran these controllers in several P sport hydro hulls. My setups were Hacker motors - usually 7 or 8 XL's running 12 GP3300's or 12 2600's. I'm not using water cooling on the motor or controller and as long as I run wide open most of the time I haven't had any issues with the controller at this level of amp draw.

I hope this helps.

Dan Proulx
Excellent news here Dan! Great to see you on the board!

thanks,

Steve

Latest results - 27 respondents

Please enter the brand(s) of Brushless Speed Controls that you use.

Response Percent Response Total

BK - 22.2% 6

CASTLE - 48.1% 13

AVEOX - 14.8% 4

HACKER - 55.6% 15

SCHULZE - 44.4% 12

Other - 22.2% 6

Total Respondents 27

Latest update of survey results - 32 respondents

BK 18.8% 6

CASTLE 43.8% 14

AVEOX 12.5% 4

HACKER 53.1% 17

SCHULZE 43.8% 14

Other (please specify) 25% 8

Total Respondents 32

(skipped this question) 0

Steven

I suspect that Patrick is already working on it. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to write him to reinforce the marketplace demand.

Castles response to future water cooling Doug.

I'm not aware of any plans or discussions on water cooling for the 80M.  From what I'm told it is completely unnecessary due to the design of the controller.  Tell your customers Dick Crowe won the N2 Hydro and O Mono NATS with the 80M without any cooling
Sounds like they feel they have a winner without the coiling. I'm going to have to give one a try.

for sprint racing it might not be needed but, for a long enduro I think you would need water cooling

I ran the Castle 80 for 5 min in my 12 cell offshore and it came back cooler then it does in a sprint race. I think the key is load. I have run the old aveox m160c for years in this boat with an Aveox 1412 2Y and x438 and it's never shut down.

It's a nice setup that unwinds and doesn't pull too many amps. I think sprint racing is harder on equipment due to the higher load even if it is for a shorter time. For me 6 cells is a real killer. To get the speed you've got to pull more amps since you have fewer volts to work with. So far so good.

If I had 8 like Dan I'd leave it in the offshore, but it's just too good in my riggers. Nice, small, lightweight and it works.

Still, I would like to see a water cooled version. Not for normal racing, but those times when you pick up a weed or leaf and try and finish the heat to get your points. That's when you're pulling the damaging amps! I had spoke some time ago with Patric regarding a watercooled plate and he seemed pretty open to the idea although I think he's got a few other projects to finsh first.

Dick

Crowbar

What the heck..DING..The light just went on..

I can tell you that I dont know the first thing about BL and to tell you the truth im not going that direction.. But with out question what you say is true for both BL and brushed. I have struggled using low cell counts and as a budding FE dude this makes tons of sense.

Grimracer

Hi Guys,

Dan's reply was honestly the first I've ever seen/heard of a heating problem severe enough to cause a shutdown or remotely warrant additional cooling.

In fact, we just got an 80M back today for warranty service, and it's a milestone - exactly 3 Phx 80's (M or aircraft) have come back to us for service EVER.

I don't want to be blatantly schilling our stuff (but here I go...) - it's performance speaks for itself, but I do encourage anyone to give it a shot, and if you think it sucks, we'll refund you. If it breaks, we'll replace it - simple as that.

A plate to receive a water cooling device is kinda on the back shelf - it would add about $20 or so to the cost of the unit - is that ok? Should it be an option, or just the way they all come?

Shawn Palmer

Castle Creations

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back