The JVD Sport 20 V.2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love to see a vid of this sport 20...also can vision this with an FE setup!

Looks great JD!!

-Kent

does the foam soak up water

or did you seal it up any

i like the low an slow stuff my self thanks

Marty
Hi Marty,

I've never had an issue with foam soaking up water once it's been sheeted with plywood and the plywood sealed with West Systems. I also have foam glued to the epoxy glass cowling and it's sealed with WS.

JD

Today I worked on prop depth and turn fin. The boat would run and corner great and then without warning take a bounce and stuff while in a turn.. I think it's more a set up issue than a hull design so I'm going to paint the boat and work on fine tuning the hull after it is painted.

We really lucked out weather wise for our club's New Year's Fun Run. It was 25F at 8 a.m. and then gradually warmed up to 40 at 2 p.m. Compared to some areas of the Midwest and East Coast, we were basking in sunlight. I know, you guys in the South were probably in shirt sleeves.

Happy New Year,

JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod Geraghty called me to suggest I increase the angle of the front sponson sheeting. Rod explained that the lack of much angle of break between the back sponson ride pad and the forward pad would cause the boat to suck down in corners and "dart" under. When the boat takes a bounce in a corner and the transom lifts the front pad now acts as a recovery pad.
Rod Geraghty called me to suggest I increase the angle of the front sponson sheeting. Rod explained that the lack of much angle of break between the back sponson ride pad and the forward pad would cause the boat to suck down in corners and "dart" under. When the boat takes a bounce in a corner and the transom lifts the front pad now acts as a recovery pad.

The photo shows the original sponson and the second the added front sponson pad.

JD

I took advantage of a reprieve between weather fronts bringing rain to shoot primer on the boat and cowling today. While my wife is out running some errands, I've placed both parts over heat vents in our family room. Nothing says, "I love you," like the smell of rattle can primer in the house. After nearly 48 years, I guess she's sorta come to expect these unexpected expressions of love.

JD

I managed to get the color coats on my boat today. The photo isn't all that great. The cowling is gloss white and the hull is "High Vis" green. I'll be adding numbers on the sponsons and painting the wind screen on the cowling.

Go Seahawks!

JD

I added MonoKote white trim sheet and some decals to the hull. Rick Sowell is going to provide lettering for the cowling and I've asked Grim to send me more Futaba FAAST 2.4 decals to stick on the front sponsons. The boat is ready to test. Unfortunately, the weather is far from conducive for testing model boats for the next few days.

The profile shots provide a much better view of the front sponson sheeting.

JD

Right on!! Futaba N'kay!

Green boats ROCK!

Wet test! Let's see how it sticks!!!

-Kent

I took advantage of the rain and wind subsiding this morning to run the boat. Unfortunately, the outside temp was 36/37 so after about 20 minutes my fingers were getting rather numb. However, I did have an opportunity to get in a few runs and I was pleased with how the boat was cornering. Because I didn't want to take the rowboat out of my truck, I didn't try turning tighter than a regular race corner. The only prop I ran was the Grim 40X52/3. The weather forecast is for temps in the mid 40s next week. I hope to get out again when it warms up a bit.

JD

With our club's January Fun Run scheduled for Saturday canceled because ice is covering the lake, I decided to do some prop testing at another location in our community. The temp was 37/38F. There was no wind and the water was absolutely flat.

The first run was with a Grim 40X53/3 blade. The straightaway speed was good, but the boat tended to hop slightly in WOT corners.

Next prop was a Props-4-U X442 V-cut with 40.68 mm diameter, 3.46" of T.E. cup, and 2.76" of C.O.B. pitch. The boat seemed a bit faster with better cornering characteristics.

The third prop was a stock Grim 40X53 2 blade. The performance and cornering appeared the same as the Props-4-U X442.

The last prop, by now my fingers were getting cold, was a sharpened/balanced X640. The speed was comparable to the other 2 bladed props but there seemed to be a little bit bounce in the corners.

I'm now to the point where I'll need to use our club's radar gun to determine the top end speeds of various props.

JD

Hey JD,

Lookin' Good.

Must be getting plenty of prop bite in 37/38 degrees ambient air temp. Is the water slush yet?? Har, Har !!! You are still mor brave that I. Good luck with the new hull. CHEERS !!! Bob

Back