The Dunlap 27

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Hi! I am from Croatia. I am planing to build the Dunlap 27 so I am interested in top speed, handling etc.(using K&B 3.5ss outboard)

Hi Tomy,

That combination should do around 45 -50 MPH (80kph) and should handle well. Go for it ;D

Tim.

Tommy,

If it has Dunlap on it , It's definitely a quality boat !!!

I'm in the process of building 2 of D27's, and as soon as Jerry gets the plans ready for his new D 28/30's, I'll be building some of those too !!!

I live to build !!!! And when I start to race, it will be a Dunlap of some shape or form !!!

With Jerry and all the other racers on this forum you have" Expert Advice "!! If you have a problem or just a question they are all happy to help !!

I'M JUST GREATFUL WE HAVE THIS FORUM TO TURN TO !!!

Tomy,

Are your currently living in Croatia, or is that where you were born? The reason I ask has to do with fuel. Speeds over 45 mph with a Dunlap 27 and K&B 3.5 would require at least 50% or higher nitro fuel. Nitro fuel in Europe is very expensive.

When you get the boat built, you can e-mail me directly and I'll provide information on how mine was set up.

Jerry Dunlap

I am living in Croatia and yes fuel is very expensive. Actually in Croatia there is no fuel for boats, just for planes and as I know there is difference so I will order it or something..

Hey Tomy! I know there are a lot of real cool guys from Europe on this forum, as well. You ought to see if any of them can help you get your hands on some good fuel. I recommend that you talk to Anders Martinelle.

He is a regular contributer to this forum, and I think he's in Sweden ( correct me if I'm wrong) I know he burns some hot nitro.

And Tomy! They don't call this site "International Waters", for nothing. Welcome aboard :D

Hammer

Hi Tomy, Ithink waterbug says it all, You'll have fun building Jerry's boat and end up with a real nice boat. My next build is also a Dunlap 27 so maybe we can help each other out. ---------Don

That would be great!

So I read the Dunlap 27 article @ rcboatmodeler and it says that boat uses Dumas 7.5 cowl. Where to get it? Can it be build with epoxy and, **** I don´t know the word(the material you put let´s say on balsa and then coat it with epoxy and then the whole stuff is very strong). Is it a fibreglass, right? :-[

So can it be done?

Tomy,

You can make a cowling from balsawood and fiberglass it. I've made cowlings that way. It actually might be the least expensive route for you to take.

Jerry D.

Finally I got the plan. I waited 40 days. So I need to buy plywood. The price is astronomic here so I will order it from towerhobbies. But there is a problem. Ply for sponson side formers, sheeting, etc. needs to be at least 27" long but I can get only 24" long ply. So what to do? And what is the difference between birch, poplar ply, which to use?

Tomy,

O.k., here's the plan. You can use 24" plywood on many of the parts, especially some of the sheeting.

For the longer pieces, you can make the part by joining two pieces with a butt joint and a patch of 1/16" plywood on the interior of the part.

Please e-mail me directly and I will take some photos of how you can make the longer parts.

Also, on the plan it shows the Center Section Front Former in two places. Use the one that says"3 LAMS OF 1/8" PLY.

I've been told some of the cross frames are not equal on both sides. Check the drawings of the frames against the SPONSON SIDE FORMER and adjust the heights as necessary.

Jerry D. [email protected]

Back