SystemThree Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Knesek

I've always used West Systems epoxy over the years with great results. Last week my son needed a few things from WoodCraft for a woodworking project which included epoxy. His teacher insisted on SystemThree and now I see why. I used their formula T-88 to glue the frame on my Whiplash and all I can say is WOW! It's thin in the bottle but it thickens up to toothpaste consistency when mixed. Perfect for the job.

Would that be good filler for a clear coated hull with no paint ? Another words for the bare wood look

Thanks Ed

Would that be good filler for a clear coated hull with no paint ? Another words for the bare wood look
Thanks Ed

Well Ed that's what I plan to do with mine so I'll let you know. I can tell you it's clear now but that doesn't mean it will not show through the clear.

Thanks Ed

Well Ed that's what I plan to do with mine so I'll let you know. I can tell you it's clear now but that doesn't mean it will not show through the clear.
I just opened a new quart of west systems but will get some to try on a cowl im laying up....Mike

Thanks Ed

Checked There web site and it says that T-88 will noy show through varnish . So it sounds like it may work . I wonder if there would be an effect if its used over west sytems . Most of the boat is assenbled using west .

I used the Systems Three T-88 epoxy on the big hydro I built 3 years ago ( a replica of a hydro my Dad built and raced in the 1950's ) and I really like it. I could glue things one day and sand the next day. I could mix it with sawdust and use it as a filler, and it is not visable when painted over with varnish. It is VERY strong and a lot of people who build the big hydros use it. I will be building another big hydro this Winter ( to race next year ) and will be using this glue.

Dick Tyndall

Thanks for the up date Dick . I'll give it a try , if people use it with no problems , it sounds like it will work .

I removed the Whiplash frame from the jig today & it's as clear as West Systems and I believe the joint is stronger than with West Systems.

Received some T - 88 today . Filled some not so perfect fit spots and boy I'll tell ya this stuff is awesome to say the least . In 95 degree heat in a non A/C shop little to no sags. Real nice will have to try for the next build :blink: Yeah.... not sure what that will be

Ed

Like most epoxies, T-88 will run or sag with gravity. If you are using it to fill cracks or gaps, mix it with some of the sawdust of the wood you are working with; the more dust you use, the thicker the paste, less sag, etc. I sometimes use Scotch tape to contain the glue in a crack or to keep it from running down hill. After about one hour, remove the tape to let the glue fully cure. Good stuff!

Dick Tyndall

I noticed one thing about the stuff ..... How come the surface is still sticky after a couple of days of curing ?

I'm mixing 1 - 1 like it says . Just wondering

Ed

I noticed one thing about the stuff ..... How come the surface is still sticky after a couple of days of curing ?
I'm mixing 1 - 1 like it says . Just wondering

Ed
I noticed the same thing but then realized it's just the wax surface. Once you start scraping it's hard.

Back