West systems epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andris Golts

I have some west systems epoxy left over from a full size boat project i was involved in last winter. I need info if i could use this stuff for rc boat building . I have # 105 resin 32 oz size #205 fast hardener 7 oz size with proper dispensing pumps due to working in bellow 55 ' f conditions also # 404 high density filler . My first concern is that 1 stroke of each pump gives me just over 1 oz of glue which is more than i can usualy use in model building in 1 shot 2nd what sort of pot life would i have with 1 oz of resin at 68'f which is shop temp. Does this epoxy cure over dried ca glue 5 min -3 hr NHP epoxies? What about over cured Pacer finishing resin which i use to lay up all my fiberglass cowlings ? Could it be used as a finishing resin to fill in wood grain for priming would i have to mix 404 filler in it i was told this stuff produces amine blush which requires thorough washing with soap and water is this true?What about glueing deck sheeting i would guess that filler would be a must would adding to much filler weaken the bond how does the bond strength of west systems compare NHP 3 HR epoxy? I realize there are a lot of questions here any info would be good.

i have been using medicine cups, they have small calibrations on the side. Use 1 cup for resin and 1 for the hardener

Hey Andris:

Best general purpose epoxy available IMHO. I like the 206 slow hardener 'cause I'm kinda slow anyway, but the 205 works well too. It'll harden over anything I can think of including the stuff you asked about.

If you can find or have a small scale it's great for measuring out epoxy, I got a triple beam surplus somewhere and I typically mix 5g of resin to the 1g of hardener, makes about 1/4 oz. If you check the literature it's supposed to be mixed by weight anyway.

A lot of guys use it to seal wood just as it is, think some common methods are to squeegee it on with playing cars etc. then scrape it with a blade when hard. Personally I always though this added too much weight and just used primer.

Never heard of "NHP 3 HR epoxy", who makes it? Don't think you'll find a stronger epoxy than West though. Never heard of problems with "amine blush", or even know what it is?

Thanks gentlemen for your replys the info will definatly be usefull. Terry NHP Epoxy is sold by Hobby wholesale and Aeromarine laminates the 3 hr is awsome just over 1 hr pot life great for sheeting.As far as i know amine blush is the waxy film left by epoxy curing although i maybe wrong saying this thanks once again.

Back