Thicker slow set epoxies

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
I started using West Systems epoxies last year and i really like the stuff for certain parts of my wood boat building..HOWEVER....i still prefer using a thicker slow set epoxy to glue the skins (bottom,deck, etc.) and i really dont like having to add thickening agents as the West Systems epoxy is so thin...I have used NHP 3 hour epoxy for a number of years with no failures, but i cant seem to get the stuff anymore, dont know if they've gone out of business or what....can someone reccomend a slightly thicker,slow set epoxy that they have had good results with, and where to get it? Oh and has anyone ever used West Systems GFLEX in the bottles? it is also a 45 min/24hr epoxy...wonder if that would be good for gluing on skins.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I started using West Systems epoxies last year and i really like the stuff for certain parts of my wood boat building..HOWEVER....i still prefer using a thicker slow set epoxy to glue the skins (bottom,deck, etc.) and i really dont like having to add thickening agents as the West Systems epoxy is so thin...I have used NHP 3 hour epoxy for a number of years with no failures, but i cant seem to get the stuff anymore, dont know if they've gone out of business or what....can someone reccomend a slightly thicker,slow set epoxy that they have had good results with, and where to get it?
Wicks Aircraft has all kinds of fillers. milled glass has the most bite but gets heavy if you use a lot. Ive used cabosil and chopped cotton as well but for lamination id use the glass filler.

I started using West Systems epoxies last year and i really like the stuff for certain parts of my wood boat building..HOWEVER....i still prefer using a thicker slow set epoxy to glue the skins (bottom,deck, etc.) and i really dont like having to add thickening agents as the West Systems epoxy is so thin...I have used NHP 3 hour epoxy for a number of years with no failures, but i cant seem to get the stuff anymore, dont know if they've gone out of business or what....can someone reccomend a slightly thicker,slow set epoxy that they have had good results with, and where to get it? Oh and has anyone ever used West Systems GFLEX in the bottles? it is also a 45 min/24hr epoxy...wonder if that would be good for gluing on skins.......
Bill, Find a West Marine Store (not accosiated with West Epoxies) and look into there MAS epoxy they have different viscosities (spelling) and may be what your looking for.

How you looking for the NATS, that new scale gonna be ready??

also a PM to ya

System Three has T-88 that is thick and slower setting . I use it for structual stuff works great .

Ed

I have used the sig mfg long set epoxy it will sit on a bulkhead with out running off but it will penertrate the wood well.

www.sigmfg.com

SIG EPOXY GLUE

SIGEG001 $5.99 1.5oz

SIGEG002 $6.99 3oz

SIGEG003 $17.99 120z

DUMB QUESTION<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

can the boat be run with just a clear epoxy coating/sealed hull?

i have always painted and wanted to do a natural finished boat for a change.

thanks

carl

DUMB QUESTION<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
can the boat be run with just a clear epoxy coating/sealed hull?

i have always painted and wanted to do a natural finished boat for a change.

thanks

carl
Carl, i would recommend you clear coat the boat after the epoxy. I believe you will have a more longer lasting finish that way. PPG Strato Clear works great. Richard D

Bill, Find a West Marine Store (not accosiated with West Epoxies) and look into there MAS epoxy they have different viscosities (spelling) and may be what your looking for.

How you looking for the NATS, that new scale gonna be ready??

also a PM to ya
Rick, i sent you back a P.M. and thanks guys for the suggestions...at least ive now got some options!

I like the MAS medium hardner let it set for a few minutes it will thicken just like you want.I still use some silica filler to thicken it up if i dont want it sagging.

I like the MAS medium hardner let it set for a few minutes it will thicken just like you want.I still use some silica filler to thicken it up if i dont want it sagging.
I do not see the problem to add thickner to West Systems Epoxy. I have added thickner for 15 year and have not seen one fail joint due to Epoxy not holding. As long as you do your part (SAND & CLEAN) to the seam. I have put together Unlimited Hydroplanes with west and thickner. I do not see the problem other than not using the correct thickner for the project. http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-cat...illers-111.html Kevlar Pulp is the only filer that I use. To put together part. It only takes a very very small amount added and to do what you want. The seam will be much stronger than just Epoxy by itself. That is the hole part in this (Make joint stronger)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back