Swordfish esc's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken turmon

I'm running a sf 200a esc (non data logging) with a t600 outrunner. I am having issues with the throttle. There is a delay both on the throttle and off. It takes a second or two for the throttle to totally kick in then it takes time to stop spinning the motor after I let off. I have not used any sf esc's in the past so i'm not familiar with them, which makes me wonder if it is a set up issue of either the esc settings or my radio's exponential settings.

Have you tried it with a different motor? I've been running the sakes esc for the past year and have not had any issues at all... Do you have the programming box for the esc?

This is the only motor I have tried it on. I have the little toggle programer but not the actual box. This radio i'm using is the first time ive ever used one that has exponential adjust ments so i'm not sure how that works with an esc. Should it be turned up or down or half way...lol

Do you have the usb programming dongle? Sounds like a programming issue. Sound like you have soft start initialized. Style motor shouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:
I double checked my settings and as far as i can tell i dont have soft start activated. Anyway that wouldnt explain the delay in the throttle turning off and thats the issue i'm concerned with. I wouldnt care about soft starting cause i dont race but i do care that it takes 1 or 2 seconds for the throttle to cut after ive taken my finger off the trigger. Its made worse by the fact that outrunners are a tad slower to stop spinning than inrunners.It almost cost me my kneeler yesterday. It looks as though some more experimenting is needed.

I have 3 SF200's and one thing I like about them is the very linear throttle responce that is equal to my 240 Castles. With tunnels you need to set the boat into corners and they work well. 1 to 2 seconds sounds very long in a timeframe for a controller to decelerate. Sort start shold not make any difference as that is how mine are set. Might have more to do with throttle calibration on the radio TX and any exponential dialed in. I do not like or use exponential as linear is more predictable. If you do use it it would be better to have a wider throttle range at full throttle which would make the start to midrange more sensitive. With instant torque and acceleration that could get a mono or tunnel in trouble. A hydro also tends to freewheel a bit more than other hull styles on decelleration. That and maybe the outrunner has a little more flywheel type momentun over an inrunner. You could have just a period of adjustment between mind, finger, and boat setup. Try a different motor if you have one. Again that large of a delay is not a programming option on the SF200. Could be a bad unit with a erronious progam.(small possibility) Only way to find out is both motor and esc switch.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I was told that the sf 200a esc's are known for this problem. When I tried to find any info on the net I came up empty. My radio does not have the option to turn the exponential off. Only to adjust it. Unfortunately with the way I had to route the wires on this hull(long story) its a major PITA to change the motor. However it is very easy to change to my spektrum radio which does not have expo. If the problem goes away than I know its a matter of adjustment. I like having the expo for the steering on this boat but if it means my boat is running after I take my finger off the trigger I would def be running it with the spektrum.

Ken its a sensorless design so it doesnt work as a motor depedent setup. Its likely a program throttle range intialization or timing setup issue. I cant remember the timing for the t600 you can find it on HK website you need to make sure when you set the throttle that the servo reversing switch is in the right position for the throttle when setting it limits in the programming. You can change the motor but it will likely do the same thing . If its expo just turn it all the way down. You need to do all the radio checks carefully read the programming steps - something people often dont do- and start all over from the beginning with programming the esc. Remember you thought the spektrum radio was an issue on the last one and I told you better then. Same thing here get the radio trims in neutral or zero make sure the reversing swithches are in the appropriate position and start the programming sequence all over from the top again. The usb programming dongle allows you to simply set everything using a pc gui instead of beeps and the trigger. Soft start could conceivably be a way to reduce starting surge. It operates as normal if youre not throttling up from zero. Its to protect gears in helis or maybe a plastic prop or reducing starting surge.

Last edited:
Yup i just went back and looked at the manual for the radio. It shows the expo adjustment to be -100 0 + 100%..I had failed to notice this before(big shock...lol) -0- would be equivalent to off i assume and it was def not set to zero. This radio had far more features than my spektrum so i guess I need to spend a little more time focusing on the settings to be sure things are hunky dory.

Thanks for the input guy's :p

Last edited by a moderator:
;) dont worry youll eventually get something that doesnt work right :lol: .

Last edited:
A friend of mine here in town had one that I put in a tunnel for him, and it had those odd in and out of throttle delays as well. We finally had to throw the thing in the trash. Had another one that Dick Loeb and I used for straight line testing progressively got weaker and weaker with the same prop and setup each run, finally threw that one in the trash. So many other good controllers out there I had this swordfish brand gets purchased as much as it does. Mike

There have been 5 or 6 Swordfish ESCs in my club over the past year. Every single one either burned up or quit working.

Hmm lots of people seem to love them. I plan to try with a dif radio to make sure it isnt something in my settings. If that dont fix it I guess it will get pulled.

The difference may be the floods they had over there last fall, they had to go to alternate suppliers after they lost their warehouse supply's.

I have 3 of them from 2010 with no problems.

They are produced by the same folks that bring you turnigy so Its quite odd that the SF's are getting mixed reviews.Unless the pcb patterens have been changed or the firmware became corrupted it really shouldnt have made a difference who the supplier was.Like anything else once in awhile you may just get a bad one........

Last edited:
Was running this am and through process of elimination found out the issue was with the radio settings.Swapped it out with my spektrum and it worked flawlessly. What a relief. need to get better aquainted with exponential sett up.

Yes im sure it will i just need to play with the exponential setting until I get the response i'm looking for.

Check out OSE. This issue was discovered, discussed and fixed about a year ago with Swordfish 200 and 240 escs.

Actually 2 different threads about it.

Latest posts

Back