Super tiger eng. .18

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

How's the Super tiger .18 eng. compared to the original Miss Vegas stock Aquacraft eng. Does it run better or is it easier to operate?

depends who you ask...... the super tigre has less torque than the aqua,,,but will yield higher rpm.... i personally had no luck with the super tigre....ive had great succes with the aqua,,, there are things that can be done to the aqua to both wake it up considerably,, and help the longevity of the rod and crank...... ive spent years now modding the aqua,,and my personal opinion is the aqua is still stronger..... bill gibson on here can tell you how fast they are when modded..... he seems to have no issues at the races thats for sure.......

regards.,,,Alden

I have a Aqua and a tiger in 2 different vegas's. I also just received a Mod'd Aqua in a motor deal that I will be trying. Stock to Stock including stock props the super tiger is faster top speed but the aqua will get it out of the hole. Now if I prop'd the aqua for the higher torque they may run simular. I will be installing the mod'd Aqua in the next week I will post up some speed stats Stock vs Mod'd

Last edited by a moderator:
bingo,,,chris noticed it...less torque but more rpm out of the tigre....they are nowhere comparable imho...

chris,,would you mind telling me where that modded aqua came from?? any pics,?

let me also ask,,, are the vegas's the same...version 1,,version 2??? if one is second gen (super tigre) and one is first gen (aqua) then you cant really compare them...the 2nd gen hull is much more (free) from the water...

On the motor I over spoke dont have it yet, have had a few motors come in this last week, Robert Pickard will be who I am getting it from as soon as he gets a free couple on mins with everything he is going through.

They are both 2nd gen hulls. New in box came with the Aqua motor with 2.4 and 2nd gen hull. It was like they last of the old motors thing I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting for sure...... roberts engine moved right along....... ;) ....nothin wrong with that....the aqua engine will gain way more punch with a standard back plate.. the pto pin would need to be machined or ground off,,, the cvrm back plate will fit the aqua if the o.d of the back plate is turned down a bit..... its actully upsetting to see manufacturers move away from a design,, just to try another... instead they should make what exists better be refining the design... i was sad to see the aqua go.. cause with the right work they really do rip... ive found the crank end of the rod to be the culprit in 80% of the rod and crank breakage issues ive seen..... the one mistake i found in the aqua rod is the oil hole......its all wrong imho... the hole is drilled in the bottom of the rod in a vertical position to the crank....seems well and fine,, but do you think there is a puddle of fuel in the case at high rpm... im thinkin no.... lack of oil to the crank pin,,heat happens,, the bushing in the rod swells,,puts a ton of friction to the point of binding and badda boom........the rod siezes to the pin and swings the piston like a hammer and breaks the rod or crank...

the answer to this is cross drilling a hole into the rod at an angle,,from the top of the big end into the center of the bushing,.. install the rod with the hole you drilled facing the window of the crank... now it has no choice to be well lubricated as the fuel passing through the crank window splashes into that hole on every revolution... it also doesnt hurt to clearance them a couple tenths of thousands....

the rear transfer passage in the case needs to be opened up..the cases were machined short of going all the way through... that passage is near blocked off with the sleeve in the case.... back plate can be ramped in that area also..

ive done alot of testing with these engines along with bill,,, and with the right prop,,and pipe they are fast for rtr's ;)

I believe a well prepared ST with the right setup is a bit faster than the AQ Here's mine in a race in 2010.

that ran very well jim..... ;) hands down the fastest st ive seen run to date..... looks good out there...

thats awsome.... its always fun to shake it up with some rtr's... just as fun as any other boat imo... specially when they run well ;) ...

Yes it runs very well, I won the NAMBA District 8 class championship with it last year.
But what Jim is not telling you is, this motor is a Jim Wilson prepared motor and is totally unobtainium for the every day boater. It really is in a class all by itself, which is sad because total domination of a class is really not what RTR is all about.

Back