Super thin titanium rudder blades.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry "AWESOME" video...love your work always. Glad to see people that want to learn new thing's and that are not afraid to try them. Hope to see you in NY... Ohh you might wanna change your light bulb looks like a spot on her.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some really neat variable DC power supplies like the one beside your computer and reasonable priced also. I have two that I have used for quiet a while, no problem. Showed them to my son-in-law and now he is using them in his work in steel mill in Tuscaloosa.

Charles

Starting to drill, here's some testing in 7075:

Working on the feeds/speeds for titanium, got the drills workin' good, just gotta clear the chips a little better.

Going to make a better splash guard and blast the coolant at the drill to (hopefully) get rid of the chips. Also got the peck depth way down, that's helping.

Progress!
default_smile.png

DSCN4962.JPG

Terry,

Something I do when I'm doing deep holes on the mill is to use two coolant streams. While I'm using a spray mister, the concept is the same. I direct one sprayer at the body of the drill, angled in such a way to flow the coolant down the drill, moving up and down with the head of the machine as it pecks away. The other is directed at the top of the hole and is stationary so it blows the chips off the flutes as the drill is drawn out of the hole. This same set-up could be used in your situation. Something to think about.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

Terry,

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09412941

This is the one I have. It's kinda spendy, but I couldn't function without it. I use it on my mill only. I hold the nozzles with a pair of magnetic base, jointed flexi-stands so I can position them as needed for each scenario.

Yes, it has four knobs. One each for air and coolant for both nozzles. You can adjust them from a very light dusting of air to an all-out blast and from completely dry air to nearly a full flood. The nozzles work on the exact same principles as our carburetors.

I mix my coolant up pretty thin, but in your case, a heavier coolant-to-water ratio would be in order. Again, I use Blauser, as it is water soluble mineral oil based, and leaves behind no residue when the part is blown off.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Terry,

Yeah. I didn't see any prices on the Sterling link, but looking at them, you can definitely see they are expensive units.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Good advice, thanks.

Does your spray mister use high pressure air? Was looking at gun drilling and see they use mister units that basically use high pressure air and a mixer that introduces the coolant:

http://www.sterlinggundrills.com/spraymist-kits.php
A cheap acid brush set to wipe the drill flutes as it is withdrawn from the hole works good for me...
default_smile.png
Good idea, thanks.

I tried just brushing by hand with the long bristled paint brush and it got caught up in the drill broke it. Thing I'll try to rig up an acid brush in my new enclosure...

Good advice, thanks.

Does your spray mister use high pressure air? Was looking at gun drilling and see they use mister units that basically use high pressure air and a mixer that introduces the coolant:

A cheap acid brush set to wipe the drill flutes as it is withdrawn from the hole works good for me...
default_smile.png
Good idea, thanks.

I tried just brushing by hand with the long bristled paint brush and it got caught up in the drill broke it. Thing I'll try to rig up an acid brush in my new enclosure...
And...the handle of the acid brush is a tube, I trickle a little lubricant down the tube to the brush. I also have a misting system but most of the time I just use the brush.....KISS technique

Terry Look up Mistic-Mist system.

I would post a link but IW won't let me.

I used this system when I worked at the millwright shop and it worked killer. On Ebay for $129

Nice self contained unit that sits any where you want. just hook up a air line and go. fully adjustable air pressure and coolant flow.

Very small hose that attaches to a magnetic base that can be placed any where you want .

Synthetic solution mix with water. very low viscosity mix like spraying water.

Never made a mess with it. Very very low coolant flow needed .

KISS.........................................

Terry,

Can you program a pause between pecks? Or a program stop? This would give you time to clean the tip/flutes of the drill before heading back into the part.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Good advice, thanks.

default_smile.png
Good idea, thanks.

And...the handle of the acid brush is a tube, I trickle a little lubricant down the tube to the brush. I also have a misting system but most of the time I just use the brush.....KISS technique
Another good idea, thanks!
default_smile.png

Terry Look up Mistic-Mist system.

I would post a link but IW won't let me.

I used this system when I worked at the millwright shop and it worked killer. On Ebay for $129

Nice self contained unit that sits any where you want. just hook up a air line and go. fully adjustable air pressure and coolant flow.

Very small hose that attaches to a magnetic base that can be placed any where you want .

Synthetic solution mix with water. very low viscosity mix like spraying water.

Never made a mess with it. Very very low coolant flow needed .

KISS.........................................
Will check it out...

Terry,

Can you program a pause between pecks? Or a program stop? This would give you time to clean the tip/flutes of the drill before heading back into the part.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Wish I had a Fanuc controller instead of a free copy of Mach3, then it would be no problem.

The G83 peck cycle I'm using is kinda limited, I wanted to rapid into the depth left by the previous drill (I'm using 3 lengths to get the 4" total) start pecking there and clear out of the hole but it won't do that either. I did slow the acceleration down to about 5% so it slows at the ends of the travel somewhat. I may end up just writing it out long had.

On a side note I talked to a tech support guy today at Guhring because I couldn't find a long 1/16" cobalt drill in their catalogue, when he asked what I was trying to do he just laughed and said "good luck". Obviously he doesn't know me!
default_laugh.png

suggesting using High pressure(500psi) & 30 gallons per minute.

Pressure gets to the tip where you are cutting, gallons/min take the chips and heat away.

dean

Terry,

There should be some G-Code for setting a starting height, peck retract height and initial peck depth (including a "rapid-to" depth). The controller shouldn't matter, I wouldn't think. G-Code is not really in my wheelhouse, but I've done it. Seems like I remember all kinds of variables that can be used to optimize cycle times.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Latest posts

Back