sullivan starter w/makita 18v

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter mueller

was at the races today in Hobart. Noticed the Sullivan starters with Makita 18v adapted.

is this a simple conversion, kit, or a do it yourself thing?

<~~ time to google

Been using one all season , easily starts all my boats and lasts all weekend.

I would never go back.

Tim K

was at the races today in Hobart. Noticed the Sullivan starters with Makita 18v adapted.

is this a simple conversion, kit, or a do it yourself thing?

<~~ time to google
The Sullivan Mariner S650 starter when equiped with the nose cone shown can be used without any modification to start outboard or inboard engines. I use 19.2 volt lithium-ion batteries & the OEM aligator clips provided with the starter to make the necessary connection for each model type. Care should be exercized when using this starter because of its very high torque.

Jim Allen

Guys,

I am doing some initial tests with a Black and decker 14.4V batteryform a cheap drill I have here and It will start the 21 no problem.I am going to figure a way besides tape to hold it to the starter and alligator clips for connectors and make something not as fancy as the makita but for next to nothing ,,,which I like.If your not in a rush I would wait to see what I come up with..

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I zip tied a 14.4 V black and decker slide type battery to the end of my starter with the charging terminals facing out and then clipped my aligator clips to the terminals for now and then used electrical taped the battery to my speedmaster handle to further secure the battery and the starter wire comming from the starter to the battery.It does not look the best but whirls my 21 over very quickly and will have no problems starting it i am sure.

I will modify the design and get some proper connectors or maybe a dedicated battery and hard wire the wires from the starter to the terminals(being carful not to heat the battery or cause an explosion)

To charge the battery i will only have to cut the electical a bit to expose the charging terminals and hook up my charging leads.

Pretty simple so far and pretty cheap and easy to do..

Sorry for the hijack but you guys can safe a few buck if you want a DIY solution and are not too concerned if it does not look as nice as the makita option.

wireless starter 004.jpgwireless starter 001.jpgwireless starter 002.jpgI spend some time to design electrical starter that needs only 12V battery.

Finally I made wireless starter kit using electric motor starter for ATV.

Starter powered with 12 Volt, 4000 mAh battery and operates by solenoid, so I can use 3A switch.

This starter over performs Sullivan HI TORK powered with 24 volt and equal Dynatron 24 volt, but much lighter

This starter easily turns pro mod Zenoah 260 and will work on nitro engines up to 1.2 sizes. The kit includes charger/balancer (6 hours charge time) and battery monitor.

And total weight of this starter 3lb 15oz! So is not a problem to carry it to launch area. Boris

wireless starter 003.jpg

I use a 4S 14.8V LiPo hard pack with a bracket lights made velcrowed to it. Works sweet starts 6 21 size motors all weekend and then some.

IMAG0108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back