styrene instead of ply-wood?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelbarnes

Has anyone ever done this when building their rigger?

I wonder if this would actually work in the place of plywood. I can get styrene in the same thicknesses as the required ply to build a .12 cheese rigger from Tom.

Thoughts?

ive been playing with plastics. i just got big sheets of 1/32 hdpe and nylon. i can't get any glue to work! i've had success with the 1/8 ridgid foam pvc in place of 1/8 ply. I would not say it is better than wood, but it does work acceptably and does not need paint. I can glue the pvc to G10 fiberglass without a problem. but I can't find G10 thinner than 1/32 and it's pretty heavy (i found one place that required a $250 minimum purchase).

I have not tried stryene. let me know if you do as i'm trying to make boats that dont need toxic paint....

cut, glue, done will be the catch phrase when we figure it out! my g10/pvc boat was easy to build and looks cool!

Last edited:
I have a LHS that sells Styrene as thin as 1/32 in 2' x 10" or 12" (cant remember) sheets.

From what I can tell they are just as light as the plywood (not confirmed by actually weighing it) and offer enough flex but still strong.

I think I might try it out and see how it goes. Nice part is that he sells special glue for "bonding" the styrene plastics (almost permanent) which doesnt cost much.

Price wise it is about the same as the plywood which is a bonus.

question - What is G10? is it fibreglass? can I use anything in its place?

oh and thanks for the super quick response Tom!

Uhh... Little pricey, might try stryene first as it is a lot cheaper! (Tight budget this year)

Uhh... Little pricey, might try stryene first as it is a lot cheaper! (Tight budget this year)
Feelin' a little tight in the wallet just like everyone else huh? I feel your pain, but thaks to guys like you people can still play at a reasonable price.

Thanks for every thing you do Tom,

Cliff

well I figured I will give it a try.

Will be stopping by my LHS to pick up the required Styrene sheets to try this build.

Very busy so not sure how quick I can get it together to post pics and even harder to do video as well, its still very frozen here in Canada :p

I will post when I can how its going/gone/etc.

try to find the ridgid foam pvc for tub sides. i know mcmaster carr has it but i dont know if they ship to canada.

try to find the ridgid foam pvc for tub sides. i know mcmaster carr has it but i dont know if they ship to canada.
Do you have a link to this?

My LHS simply has styrene sheets in 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, etc that I was going to use in place of the same size in ply.

Do you have a link to this?

My LHS simply has styrene sheets in 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, etc that I was going to use in place of the same size in ply.
try this thy are in Canada. http://www.synthanetaylor.com/ http://www.haysite.com/

a surplus store near me has small sheets and large sheets very cheap let me know and I can get them and have them shiped.

Last edited by a moderator:
hard to link a page in mcmaster goto www.mcmastercarr.com and search for rigid pvc and you will see it. I believe it is used in the sign industry mostly.

well.... so far stryene is not doing better with glue either...

ive spent more money that id like to have on different plastics without luck.

anybody need 1/32 stryene, 1/16"nylon or 1/32 hdpe? I have some nice big sheets!

stryene to stryene will likely work..... but i tried stryene to pvc..... tried some special glue from the hobby shop, CA, epoxy and pipe cement.... i'm going back to G10

I plan on making the entire boat out of Styrene plastic.

It seems rigid yet flexible enough not to crack.

I know bonding these 2 together is simple so.......

I will let you know ;)

Back