Straightening Prop Bores

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size prop is it.

Dave Roach
I was gonna ask that, Seems like a lot of effort for a discontinued prop ?

Must be special
rolleyes.gif

Unknow or wont tell David ?
tongue.gif

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Try putting it the lathe. find a tube with the same ID size as the OD of the prop and square off one end. then cast the prop in resin and mount it in the chuck. drill it over size remove from the mold and bush.

David

1 1/4" Dia. Pitch is Unknown.
Dave ....help me out here ...what is the marriage with this junk prop ?? Surely there is a prop out here to help this craft go forward !!! While dumas may be a household word most of the hardware is junk made by people who make junk . Just learn more about props and choose a prop with characteristics that will work for your boat . Just trying to help . :D

That I can swing, its getting the prop in the mill is whats stalling me out. I guess epoxy putty and a tooling block to glue it to for the vise.

The putty would allow me to indicate it in as it sets. Some mold release on the prop I suppose,

Let it cure and hope for the best with a couple of light clamps on the blades when its time to centerdrill.

Don't know, is that how its done?

Has anyone ever seen a prop fixture before??? Post a pic so my headbone doesn't hurt. What would hurt is to say its junk. I'd like to pick the garbage around here. :lol:

Believe it or not, this is a straight on pic of the prop just so you can see it is way past working the blades to correct.
David, Could you post just a pic of the prop itself? If the hub portion is long enough you might be able to hold it in a collet block or soft jaws(vertically) and run a small end mill thru it CAREFULLY -then sleeve it back to size. If the O.D. of the hub is way out of whack (not square with the blade tips)this will not do much good. Never got the knack for posting pic's on here- P. M. your e-mail.

Glenn

Dave ....help me out here ...what is the marriage with this junk prop ?? Surely there is a prop out here to help this craft go forward !!! While dumas may be a household word most of the hardware is junk made by people who make junk . Just learn more about props and choose a prop with characteristics that will work for your boat . Just trying to help . :D

Tom, I think it has more to do with what it is not what it will do. Kinda like some one that collects old cars.

A model A is junk compared to a new vet but it is still special in its own way.

David

OR- Just buy a boat from Tom- they come with a nice sharp prop :D Picked the Seaducer up today- sweet lookin boat! Check on Graupner props- think they make a lot of smaller sizes for electrics- composite and glass filled nylon. Don't think a .09 is gonna throw a lot of blades.

I really can't believe some one would grapple over a bad prop to this extent! I would have thrown it out with last months garbage!

Give me some idea of what boat/motor your running this on and I will send you a good prop for FREE!

Last edited:
jetpack/david collects vintage engines & boats to restore. i'm sure this prop is a "correct" period piece for the boat/engine combo. a lot of other current props may work, but are not what he wants to complete his project. kinda like not wanting to put radials on a model T........a prop is a prop for a static display model, but he will still know it's not the "correct" one. what looks ok & what he knows is wrong make a matter. i restore old mopars, i understand the mindset ;)

If you decide to use epoxy putty to hold it, do not use mold release. You actually want it yo bond to the prop. When you are done machining pop it into a 450 degree oven or use a torch and the epoxy will let go.

Now you got my attention Robin! I had a 1970 Road Runner back in the day and I kick myself over and over for selling it!

]

jetpack/david collects vintage engines & boats to restore. i'm sure this prop is a "correct" period piece for the boat/engine combo. a lot of other current props may work, but are not what he wants to complete his project. kinda like not wanting to put radials on a model T........a prop is a prop for a static display model, but he will still know it's not the "correct" one. what looks ok & what he knows is wrong make a matter. i restore old mopars, i understand the mindset ;)
Yeah ....I should just STFU if I have nothing constructive to add !! Peace David ! :D

2wgvwpg_th.gif

]

Yeah ....I should just STFU if I have nothing constructive to add !! Peace David ! :D

View attachment 24349
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have any of you guys seen Jets restored vintage engines? jeez they look like a piece of jewelery. ;)

And he tries to keep them all period correct. Its why we call it a HOBBY Tom :rolleyes:

So yeah i understand perfectly why he putting so much effort into this prop.

If you decide to use epoxy putty to hold it, do not use mold release. You actually want it yo bond to the prop. When you are done machining pop it into a 450 degree oven or use a torch and the epoxy will let go.
That was the part I was missing, if my idea on putty would work but how to deal with it. I do not want to be left with epoxy putty stuck hard as a rock to the prop to have to try and clean, or fight getting it off and bending it.

I think I'll finish up the prop where I need to in order to be able to mount it up square where I can.

I liked the idea of casting the prop inside a close fitting ring of tubing and doing it on the lathe.

I have a full machine shop at my disposal and time to do it is why I monkey around with this kind of stuff which people mentioned is vintage, hard to find kind of stuff sometimes, so I don't mind trying to fix than replace. Just a part of the hobby for me.

Back