Stoping the deck slime

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

For you guys running .21 hydros with straight exhaust. Is there anyway to keep from hosing down the baitbox and back of the boat with spent oil/fuel if your pipe doesnt extend past the end of the rear deck. I considered putting an extension on the end of the pipe to exhaust past the transom but dont want to hinder performance. Any ideas besides extra paper towels and 409 would be helpful. LOL.

Thanks Andy ....

Amdy,

I see in your signature you have a MAC engine which is a direct rearward exhaust. I use NovaRossi's and normally use baitbox covers which reduced much of the residue. But I have the very same problem with my 40, 60 and 90 riggers. You have several options:

1. Reduce the oil content - not a clue what you are using but the junk is mainly unspent fuel and oil. From past postings on this forum guys are using anywhere from 12% to 20% oil. Castor adds more junk.

2. Use an airplane exhaust deflector.

3. Use a baitbox cover.

4. Live with it as most of us do.

Avoid using a long stinger extension like you mention as it will change the pipe performance. Marty Davis and his crew did exhaustive testing on stinger sizes, lengths and diameters some time ago and extra long is not good from what I recall.

I use the orange citrus cleaner and it cleans up better for me than the 409 or Fantastic cleaners.

John

I've always used a spray bottle like window cleaner filled with isopropyl alcohol to clean off or out the entire boat. just hold the boat up and let the oil run off.

Don ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found Simple Green full strength does a good job also.

I think Top Flight has a silicone exhaust deflector made for airplaine mufflers that will fit on a stinger, and has a couple grooves for the smallest zip ties.

Thanks for the replies. Im using John Otto's fuel(technology fuels 60%) but not sure of the exact oil content. I dont use extra oil anymore. The exhuast deflectors sound like its worth a try, can you point me in the right direction or maybe a link with a pic so I know what Im looking for?? ;) Once again thanks for the replies .. Andy

I found Simple Green full strength does a good job also.
I think Top Flight has a silicone exhaust deflector made for airplaine mufflers that will fit on a stinger, and has a couple grooves for the smallest zip ties.

Doohhh !!!! :eek:

Ray why no 409 on aluminum ????

Andy;Go to Towerhobby.com and type in "exhaust deflector" there you will see what folks are talking about
Rick
Thanks Rick, yeah I relaized that about 2 seconds after I hit the enter button on the last post. ;) ... You guys headed Melbourne this weekend ??

Andy, Most degreasers contain an alkaline salt, if not rinsed off completly can discolor aluminum. 409 to me was worse than the others. Ray Just MHO
Followed by "Greased Lightning" Man that stuff will really knock the shine off aluminum.

Simple Green, Simple Green!!!!
The only way to go J.M.O.

Andy, no we are not going to Melbourne, our next race will be Miami, how bout you??

Will we see you "south of the border"?

Rick
Simple Green- thats my sister- LOL :rolleyes:

Rick lots of life has been happening lately, it has cut deep into the travel funds. Im hoping to make some away races soon, but it doesnt look good. Andy

Simple Green, Simple Green!!!!
The only way to go J.M.O.

Andy, no we are not going to Melbourne, our next race will be Miami, how bout you??

Will we see you "south of the border"?

Rick
Simple Green- thats my sister- LOL :rolleyes:

Rick lots of life has been happening lately, it has cut deep into the travel funds. Im hoping to make some away races soon, but it doesnt look good. Andy
Hey Andy Doc Mixes up this stuff that works great on the slimmers, ask him for the recipe next time we see ya at the pond.

Back