Stepped mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are talking Expresscraft here in Florida they are no where to be found Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugh,

I havn't run in Namba for quite a while so I don't know if they may have changed the rules. From Al Hobbs statement I can only assume it is still the NAMBA rule. I am the Mono Technical Committee Director

for IMPBA, so I can tell you for sure steps are not legal in IMPBA mono heat racing.

Hugh,

I havn't run in Namba for quite a while so I don't know if they may have changed the rules. From Al Hobbs statement I can only assume it is still the NAMBA rule. I am the Mono Technical Committee Director

for IMPBA, so I can tell you for sure steps are not legal in IMPBA mono heat racing.
I guess I dont understand the rulebook. is there a offshore class? Sorry fellas if im so ignorant :unsure: How do I get to race the newer technology? I thought the idea was to keep it realistic? If the real boats that race have steps then why cant we? Im not complaining or mad or anything Im just curious as to what the goals of the rules are?

Last edited:
oh yes definetly true, there are not too many full size offshore race boats that are not stepped. namba doesnt allow stepped monos except in open hydro and sometimes you dont get enough entrees for a race. all of the race monos for nitro and gas i have seen are not stepped but i havent seen them all, someone might make one?. i dont think anytime soon namba will make a rule change. if you are planning to race this hull you are looking for in a stepped version it is not impossible but may be tough to find a class that runs on a regular schedule. go to a local race and check out the seaducers, microbursts and cal crafts monos and altho they have no steps these boats really move. good luck in your choice

Yeah, I believe stepped monos are considered hydros...you'd be better off staying with the standard hull Hugh...

-Kent

You can run a stepped mono in electric offshore. Not a lot of places to do that though.

Ron Buck ran a stepped mono in Gas Sport Hydro in the 2004 NAMBA Nationals. It is definitely defined as "not a mono" so it must be a hydro under NAMBA rules, no matter how much that irritated the other sport hydro racers. The boat easily held lane 1, but was not as fast as the best sport hydros. Check with Ron or RC Boatworks to see if they still have a mold. It would be in your size range.

Lohring Miller

Thanks lohring. I wanted a stepped hydo coz I wanted to do a replica of a 50 ft cigarette racing marauder; which is stepped. I also feel my prather may be dated to be competitive :unsure: . Im gonna run it this weekend with the 1717 so we will see how it goes. I did like the Arapho hull for expresscraft. wonder about the weight though.

Not to get off topic Lohring, but when will we see more of that "real" electric hydro?

Last edited:
I don't have a picture I have a P spec Raptor rigger, a 6S Mutt sport 40, and an 8S 1/8 scale/T sport hydro. The 6S and 8S boats are to test ideas for spec components to replace 7.5 and 11 cc nitro engines. I hope to run both at the Grand Prix at Fremont this February. I'm not interested in much bigger electric models since gas engines are still low cost and easy to run. I'm not sure how much Ron's boat looks like a full size Cigarette.

Mike keeps talking about another record run with the full size electric boat, but he is still mostly occupied with offshore boats. We'll see. Maybe I'll build him a Dry Martini model. That's a non stepped 1973 35' Cigarette.

Lohring Miller

Nice! if you ever get the chance pm more about the motor controller you use in the full size hydro.

I want to be able to run in mono coz I dont think a mono will be as fast as a hydro but I dont know. depends on the boat driver and equipment I guess.

Hmmm... It may be about time to take a look at those rules and update them to stay current with the times. It's only been... what? 30 years? Hahaha!

The only constant in the universe is change. --Heraclitus

Latest posts

Back