Stepped mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, It seems for some reason we are always the last to jump on the bandwagon. You know they have BEEN running stepped monos in europe ;thats all you see. These kind of rules are what steered me away from santioned events for years coz I simply dont see the point other than to keep old dinosaurs like my prather in the game - which it still isnt anyway lol.Tell me are the rules decided on in a democratic way or does someone just set them and thats it?

In away it does benefit old boats like mine but I want the newer stuff it handles better plain and simple.

Last edited:
Roger glad you chimed in . If you get a chance goto the cigarette racing website and look at the marauder. Scroll thru and youll se one with lightning on it. Can you paint that guise? I know you can;you do some sick graphics. If you can do it ;what would it cost me? Pm me if need be.

thanks hugh

The full size electric ran a 2000 amp Zilla controller into a geared up, rebuilt 48 volt hydraulic pump brushed motor. We ran 133 nominal volts from a 36S, 7P battery made of 6S packs wired together in 6 groups of 7 packs in parallel. Below is the recording of the UIM record run. The volts and amps are from one 6S pack and the rpm is propeller rpm. The total volts would be 6 times that shown and the current is 7 times the graph.

Lohring Miller

Roger glad you chimed in . If you get a chance goto the cigarette racing website and look at the marauder. Scroll thru and youll se one with lightning on it. Can you paint that guise? I know you can;you do some sick graphics. If you can do it ;what would it cost me? Pm me if need be.

thanks hugh
I see a few different paint scheme here. Which one.

BTW - Monos in their convention form are pretty fast these days. I have a .21 size that does about 50 mph... and their are many 40 size monos that run near 60 and I've run 70 on a 67 mono for straightline by merely changing the prop. So you might acheive what you want by simply purchasing a Aeromarine hull or something.

IMPBA mono has always been pure mono. I don't even think a keel pad is legal. Probably done this way to keep it simple. Allow steps and then someone mentions sponsons and then someone else wants to allow wings (which are on the lifesize boats) and you open a can of worms.

Do you run your tabs flush with the bottom or up a little? If you move them up, you have a legal stepped mono. Since there's no limitation on hull lengths or hardware design and extension from the transom, it might be fun to play with the position of the "step". In the electric classes where the hull lengths are limited, someone should be using this idea. Fortunately, the electric lengths, are long enough for the P spec boats, so conventional hulls still work. Still, I have visions of long, continuous tabs and an even longer stinger. You might need to mount the motor behind the transom as well to get the right cg, but that's called an outboard, isn't it?

Lohring Miller

I don't have a picture I have a P spec Raptor rigger, a 6S Mutt sport 40, and an 8S 1/8 scale/T sport hydro. The 6S and 8S boats are to test ideas for spec components to replace 7.5 and 11 cc nitro engines. I hope to run both at the Grand Prix at Fremont this February. I'm not interested in much bigger electric models since gas engines are still low cost and easy to run. I'm not sure how much Ron's boat looks like a full size Cigarette.

Mike keeps talking about another record run with the full size electric boat, but he is still mostly occupied with offshore boats. We'll see. Maybe I'll build him a Dry Martini model. That's a non stepped 1973 35' Cigarette.

Lohring Miller
Brian Buaas's P Spec Rigger at the 2011 Eugene District 8 race.

JD

Roger Its the one with the silver base and blue lightning.

Do you run your tabs flush with the bottom or up a little? If you move them up, you have a legal stepped mono. Since there's no limitation on hull lengths or hardware design and extension from the transom, it might be fun to play with the position of the "step". In the electric classes where the hull lengths are limited, someone should be using this idea. Fortunately, the electric lengths, are long enough for the P spec boats, so conventional hulls still work. Still, I have visions of long, continuous tabs and an even longer stinger. You might need to mount the motor behind the transom as well to get the right cg, but that's called an outboard, isn't it?

Lohring Miller

Lohring , I run the tabs 1/16th to a 1/8th inch off the bottom. Should run the mono tommorrow . Ill be sure to get some video footage. The Cg's pretty good I think.

JD -yeah the snowman has some fast boats-

hugh

Last edited:
At some point in time I hope we will continue to stay current with the real boats, and allow stepped monos.

Hugh

Back