Starting an Outboard...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

OK i finnally got the little beauty fired :) after a bit of fiddling i can start it easily now...but it get hot and i cant hold onto the motor to start it up again.

My question is where on the motor do you guys hold while putting the starter cone onto the flywheel?

Kris

Maybe you should richen it up a little if it is a new motor - break it in rich.

I put one hand (very carefully) underneath the leg just in front of the skeg. BEWARE OF THE PROP SPINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build a boat stand that will hold the engine for you. On my 7.5 tunnel stand there is a piece of plywood screwed to the top of the stand and is notched out to accomodate the area just above the cavitation plate where the old style exhaust holes are. This is a strong leverage point, you dont even have to grab the engine.

Chris,

I'll take a photo of my boat stand with a slot to hold the motor. I'll just e-mail it to you directly since I'm not sure I can post it on the website. It's nearly 11 p.m. here and I'm ready to go to bed - will take a photo in the morning.

JD

Thanks Guys,

I realised after i posted that the engine only gets hot when running on the bench...DUH ;) so holding the motor when restarting after it been running for a while isnt a problem on my watercooled K&B.

I took it out tonight and it went fine...still in the break in stage so not the best yet, but it has potential ;)

A Pic of your stand Jerry, would be good...i have an idea of what i want to make, but not quite sure yet

Kris

JD,

Thank you very much for the photo's of your stand...looks simple, yet effective :) i will have to whipe one up for mine so it is stable and in a safer position that how i do it now ;)

Kris

OK there is something else i need to ask...

yesterday when i took my boat to the lake and started it up, it sounded the same and i had the started spinning in the right direction, but when i threw the boat into the water it seemed like it was going backwards and dug the back into the water ???

does anyone know how this can occur, consider i am 100% sure i had the starter in the right direction...today it happened again and when i re-started it it went fine and i didnt make any adjustments to my equipment...i am lost as to what could be happening

Kris

Yes that can happen. Pretty often even.

I check for direction by putting my hand a few inches behind the prop. when you feel the air on your hand it will turn in the right direction. When not you will feel nothing. You will probably notice some fuel coming out of the carb at the air intake.

It wil save flexshafts doing this allways.

Hey Kris,

That can happen from time to time. The motor has kicked back on itself and reversed direction. The give away is the fuel vapour coming out of the carby. If I ever see that I shut down and start again. Something you get used to I guess.

Cheers,

Tim.

Kris,

I prefer to just lightly press my finger against the flywheel rather than place my hand in back of the prop. At my age, the shakes could cause some unpleasant results :'(.

Here's another visual clue that sometimes happens. A motor running in reverse will often spit fuel out of the carb.

But, what's really cool looking is when you launch an OB running reverse direction, and when it hits the water it comes backwards and then kicks the right direction and takes off!!! I bet a bunch of the guys have seen that happen.

JD

hey guys

what me and jo do is my dad has a vice in the shop and we put two pieces of 1/4 wood on each side of the engine, atach the fuel,and pipe and where ready to go....that engine wont budge. ;D

matt

If the engine is idling steadily in reverse, try this. Slowly cover the carb throat with your finger, choking the engine. As the RPMs come down, the engine will USUALLY (not always) pop just before stalling, reversing rotation. The revs will pick up and the engine will smooth out.

Back